April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, CJ Dawe, graybeardtmm3, Bill Graham, Stanton Hillis, susjwp), 431 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I second the choice of Lowas. However, as was pointed out above, your comfort depends on your foot shape, whether you pronate or supinate and the last used in the production of the boot. Finding the best boot for yourself unfortunately follows the same arc as finding the perfect shotgun. For example, I really like the features of Asolo boots, but even in wide, they are just too narrow for me. For those with bunions, Hanwag (also mentioned above) sells a bunion boot with a bit more room in that area. But you will have to buy them sight-unseen as hardly anyone carries them in the U.S.

Also, these boards are populated by people from all over the U.S. and in some cases, the world. All with different requirements, so opinions are all over the place. For me, I don't understand why anyone gravitates towards the so-called "upland boot" styles with moccasin toes, but regionally, they might be the right choice for benign conditions for some folks.

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boots are like shotguns especially in the sense that people like what they like.

When I guided people, if they wore heavy hikers, they wanted to stay in the truck by about 3. It's just too heavy of a boot for most peoples hip muscles. Pack style boots by noon. Moc Toe = wet feet. Truck by 10am. Light breathable hikers, 4:30.

But, people like what they like. And if you don't wear them they last a long time. So, people show up in 20 year old boots for their 2 days hunting per year.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I really like the features of Asolo boots, but even in wide, they are just too narrow for me.

I wore out three pair of Asolos before I decided they just didn't fit me. Great boots, but very narrow. Danners also seem to run narrow, so my first pair from 20 years ago sits in the closet, while the new ones are fine because I learned the hard way.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could a boot stretch not remedy these problems? Or are these boots not leather?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well fwiw I spent ten days hunting with Ghost Rider in the Arizona mountains ,bought a pair of Meindl denali from Cabelas ,two days the sides fell out ...we returned them to the Phoenix Cabelas during a break and they graciously swapped them out ...those didn't last the rest of the trip ,got back home to Newfoundland and returned them once again and upgraded to the western hunters and damn near crippled myself with those , lost both small toenails on my second Arizona trip ,when they grew back I lost them both again on a 12km hike with my daughter ...the boots did fit when I was standing around doing nothing but try actually using them ? ...they went in the garbage .
Under Phil's advice I'm now wearing Kenetrek mountain extreme and I will never look back... I do walk in these boots, Newfoundland is wet -period ,and rough on boots I average 25 -35 km a day when I get out ,in Arizona the walking was easier( except for the heat on this Newfoundlander ) but the side hilling and sharp rocks was wrecking the boots .

I've also worn Irish Setters ( which I was fairly pleased with ) ,and Beans ...the Kenetrek boots win hands down for me

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Could a boot stretch not remedy these problems? Or are these boots not leather?

Would probably work on the old Danners, all leather. New Danners (the ones that fit well) are leather and cordura, as were the Asolos.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few years ago I saw a pair of Danner "hunting" boots made from 1000 denier Cordura fabric. At the time, I was a big fan of the high denier Cordura fabrics and thought that they were the closest thing to lightweight armor I could find. Well after a month and a half of thorny brush hunting, the Cordura was completely shredded and gone from the entire toe, exposing the composite/rubber layer underneath. Additionally, the some of the lace eyelets had pulled out of the shoe and the shoe laces were basically just tying through gradually enlarging holes in the shoe. I called Danner about these issues and I was told that I should look for a local shoe repair person and see if they could fix them as they were not interested in repairing them. I was kind of shocked because I had always heard of the Danner name in relation to quality.

That kind of equipment failure and failure to provide adequate customer service leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This is why I want to try these mountaineering boots. They are definitely a quality product that I do not see failing on me, but will they be comfortable to walk in all day? Probably not...but I won't know for sure unless I try. I'm not eliminating all of my lightweight hikers and hunting boots, but I'm seeking some longer lasting options for those days when I want a rugged heavy duty boot that can take a beating in the brush and keep on ticking. Great responses from everyone - I think we all like to hear what works and doesnt work for other people out there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not surprising Danner probably doesn't own a Chinese shoe shop...

I always liked the Kiterlift soles on Danners....I bet I spelled that wrong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
I know some have had bad experiences with Russell, but I have not.

I wear Russells everyday (Art Carter) and either unlined in dry weather or gortex lined in wet and love them.

I've got 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 pair of Russell Moccasins shoes and boots...never knew them to offer Gore Tex guess that's just for Old Colonels. Never had any Art Carters but I did know him. cool

Russell Signature South Forty....best walking boot I ever put on my feet (and I walked on rough terrain for a living).

Most people that don't like Russell boots are the ones that measure or have some bOzo selling Russel boots measure their feet.

Stick with the Vibran soles and don't get fooled by any of the other offerings

All the ones I have I just ordered in my standard size 11D...if it's insulated and I plan on wearing a heavier sock I order a 1/2 size bigger.

Russell Moccasin...best customer service in the USA. (Unless you are a moron)

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Reading these boot threads over the last year it has made me count my blessings. I can do quite well hunting with three sets of inexpensive footwear. Granted, I don't hunt the tough desert stuff for quail often, or rocky slopes for chukar, but I do quite well with a pair of L L Bean 10" original boots (with an added footbed insert), a pair of LaCrosse Grange rubbers, and my Herter's or Redhead chest waders. I throw on a pair of Dan's snake proof chaps for thorny or snaky stuff, and I'm done. If I ever make a big change it will be a new pair of LeChameau boots.

When I get tired out from walking it ain't usually because of the kind of boots I've got on. I wear Skechers chukka style boots for everyday wear on the farm. They last me about a year, then I toss 'em. But, they're the lightest weight boots I've ever seen. For doves or quail in dry conditions even they do nicely.

I feel sorry for you guys that have gone through thousands of dollars worth of boots and still can't find what you want. Kinda makes you sit back and wonder what our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers did before they had all this high-tech, ergonomic, waterproof, "indestructible" bells and whistles footwear that cost as much as they paid for a truck. They must've really been handicapped............eh?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.