April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 413 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#514323 05/23/18 05:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes friends, it is yet another boot thread. I'm sorry.

A few months ago, as I was cleaning my porch, I noticed the poor condition of my hunting boots. I was fed up with wearing old combat boots, tattered-and-falling-apart-at-the-seams Merrells and Danners, and any number of other manufacturers that fall short (and apart) of my hopes and expectations - barely surviving 1-2 years of bird hunting. I'm also a bit concerned with spending $400-$500 on a pair of made to order classic US made work boots that have had mixed reviews and opinions. So...the research began. My qualifiers were "heavy duty", "thick leather", "aggressive sole" and "speed laces". Again and again my search kept pointing to vintage European made "mountaineering boots". Further research concluded with whom the internet experts felt were the best manufacturers and the quest began. Since this is an experiment at it's core, I did not want to spend too much. I also found that the highest quality was made in a time frame between the 1940's and the 1980's. Point being, this would be a quest for vintage boots with the least amount of damage and wear. So, I purchased five pairs of pre-owned vintage boots of different makes and styles for the experiment. Anyone have any experience with these boots? I imagine they'll be heavy and not exceptionally comfortable to walk in all day, but I'm sick of throwing my money away on big name manufacturers who sell China made products for which they fail to stand behind. I have two pairs of Swiss, two pairs of Italian and one pair of German-made boots in the mix. I've been reconditioning the leather on them one pair at a time, but soon it will be time to begin the experiment. Please feel free to express your thoughts and opinions on the subject...

Caleb

Sidelock
Sidelock

They all look like good boots, but heavy, stiff and not very comfortable (or warm or waterproof). If you are sick of Chinese boots, get a pair of Kennetrek's (SP?) made in Montana.

I bought a pair of Meindl Denali's and used them on very steep ground this spring for turkeys. They are GREAT! I don't know where the were made. I think Germany.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Five pairs of boots? Even the wealthiest of men can only sleep in one bed at a time!!
I have always been a believer in you purchase a pair of boots from new and YOU mould them in to fit your foot shape correctly by waring them for long periods. Using a second user pair of boots is just a recipe for sore and aching feet.
Second user shoes and boots are like using a second user tooth brush. Hell NO!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Caleb, I'm with you on this idea and I come from the footwear industry.

In the late 1970's I lived for a few years in Banff Alberta and got mildly into climbing. The go-to boot for the Swiss and Germans who lived there at the time (ski instructors during the winter, climbers in the summer) were Vasques. Made in Italy.

Good leather, steel shank, stiff sole. What we did back then was buy them new, put them on and do them up tight, then stand in a bath of warm water until the water seeps through completely. Then get out and keep them done up tight for several hours (don't do a lot of walking, you are just trying to mold them to your foot).

No reason why you shouldn't do that now to try to shape them to your own foot.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know some have had bad experiences with Russell, but I have not.

I wear Russells everyday (Art Carter) and either unlined in dry weather or gortex lined in wet and love them.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at Limmer Boots.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heavy and stiff. Steel shanks warp on hard ground, end up looking like elf shoes, all cambered up. Not waterproof. Rip your hip flexor's off. Exacerbate shin splints.
Not much use for boots like that in my life.
Technology moved waaaay ahead.

And my go-to work boot has become the Doc Marten Condor.
If I'm on the prairie I wear Cabela's ultralight Full Draw, uninsulated. Like hunting in a stiff tennis shoe. Cushony and Wonderful.

I wear leather lined Hunter Balmoral Sovereign's most of the time in the woods. They work, but are actually a waterproof meh.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For me for everyday wear as well as working, climbing, hunting, etc. the LL Bean Cresta Hiker fills the bill. I'm just starting my third pair in twelve years so I know they're rugged enough. And at about $265 they won't break the bank. Click on below.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/14774?page=mens-gore-tex-cresta-hikers-leather

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 05/23/18 07:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year I got some Danner Pronghorns that fit so well, I got five pair, 6" and 10", mostly at closeout prices.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Last year I got some Danner Pronghorns that fit so well, I got five pair, 6" and 10", mostly at closeout prices.

I've heard good things about the Danner Pronghorns, however Danner customer service has failed me drastically in the past.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.