May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (rtw, 1 invisible), 287 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,741
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tut
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Butt transplant?...Geo

Cheaper'n a new stock.

Added the picture. Butt transplant isn't an option unfortunately.

Cheek panel restoration is another option, tut. I am going to have an HE, which had the cheek panels checkered at some time in the past, "restored" by having an expert apply a veneer of matching walnut over the checkered areas, then blend it in so that it is unnoticeable. That stock looks nice except for the diamond inlay. Same thing could be done to it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: tut
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Butt transplant?...Geo

Cheaper'n a new stock.

Added the picture. Butt transplant isn't an option unfortunately.

Cheek panel restoration is another option, tut. I am going to have an HE, which had the cheek panels checkered at some time in the past, "restored" by having an expert apply a veneer of matching walnut over the checkered areas, then blend it in so that it is unnoticeable. That stock looks nice except for the diamond inlay. Same thing could be done to it.

SRH

Unfortunately it has a 12 1/2 LOP to the end of the wood. Gun was ordered with 13 1/2" with a recoil pad. Sucker must have had short arms. Think I'll just do the buttstock and see where I end up and take it from there. Nice little gun.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's your money to spend and enjoy, or not.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice gun. I would start by calling Jason at Pumpkin Mountain and see what he has for buttstocks. A 16 gauge C grade sure deserves a new buttstock. I would have the butt replaced and the forend restored to match.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me. too. It's not that hard to do, matching the forend wood to the butt, or vice versa. See this thread I started some time ago for an example.

http://forum.foxcollectors.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7229

SRH

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,, curious about who will cut your rib on your ITW bbls,, can't recall who has the cutter from savage at this time.

Mr. tut,, your bbls look like they have been re-done,, but the action looks to just have worn-off colors which I think look great on the later A engraving.. why not consider leaving action as-is and tone down bbl blue if looks too black? Bbls may be a DIY job if you have some guidance? I regret putting non-original colors on two Fox's I have had work done on.. Seems to hide the the stuff I like to look at and I won't live long enough to wear down the fresh bone 'n charcoal colors..although I believe both of my examples have colors that are very pleasing to the eye with nice balance of that straw hue that comes through in the original cyanide applied in Philly.. and yes, I have an original example to compare & contrast.. all my opinion and delivered with utmost respect to both you and Stan,, real Fox guys! Best jmc.

Last edited by jmc; 05/19/18 10:55 PM.
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yeah,, I would pay a premium for flat-top checkering on that pistol grip replacement.. if I knew who could do it like it was back in the day.. I have no idea why pointed up checkering becam the standard,, don't ever recall blaming a miss on the darn checkering pattern! Pretty sure those A grades were flat like the Sterlingworth which looks so cool when left as they came.. again, JMHO. Best, jmc

Last edited by jmc; 05/19/18 11:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, imc. I'm just a hacker, but I enjoy shooting my guns. As to the rib matting..........mine was already cut when I bought it. This wasn't a set like you would get from Jason at Pumpkin Mtn., but was a very unusual situation. The barrel set was completely finished by Fox (Utica)..........rib was matted, chokes cut, barrels roll-stamped, and chambered to 2 3/4" with the ejectors already installed and the rims cut. The only things not done is that there were no beads installed, and the barrels had not been blued. They were bought from a private collector who offered them to me years ago.

I like flat-topped checkering on the guns originally done that way, but also like nicely pointed up diamonds where they are apropos.

Thanks for the posts, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/19/18 11:16 PM.

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, Stan,, I wasn't sure if Pumpkin Mtn carried any barrels that were checkered and haven't been on their site in a while. Sure would like to know if the original tooling from [ultimately] Savage, was acquired and ever put to commercial use by a business that may longer be 'in business' anymore? Thought that I heard something like that a while ago... any how, your find of the 32's is quite fascinating in itself! I shot a friends 32" bbl Parker on Canada geese and it took a few misses before I 'harnessed' them but then it was a great joy to reach out a bit with confidence. - jmc

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. Jason doesn't have the original Fox barrel matting machine. That is now owned by Jon Hosford I believe. That is original checkering on the buttstock and it is pointed. Sterly's had the flat top checkering. Think I will stick with the buttstock replacement to match the original Forearm for now.

Thanks for the thoughts.

foxes rule
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.