March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Borderbill, damascus, Jason Dubois, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cback, I recently acquired a 26 inch barrel Greener SLE. I usually shoot 28 inch barrels, occasionally 30 inch, but never anything shorter than 27.

I have not had the opportunity to hunt with the gun yet but after 2 trips to shoot sporting clays I can say that I was very pleased with the handling and pointing characteristics of the gun. I will use the gun this Fall for sure.

So FWIW give that 25 inch barrel Purdey a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I concur with tcdog. After shooting 28 & 30 in. barrels I have naturally gravitated to shorter barrels due to age and shoulder surgery. I find that after the muscle memory kicks in, the magic begins.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fieldsport, Traverse City, Michigan, had a 28 bore Purdey with 25" barrels for sale a couple of years ago. Bryan had it for at least 2 years in the rack. It was a beautiful gun and it was priced right but was a hard sell because of the barrel length. In addition, it was built in the late 70's when the quality of a Purdey was probably at its lowest historical ebb.

I think Purdey only has one qualifying issue when they build a gun and that is that it must be built with their "self opening" system for a double gun. They, also, will not build a 2 inch, 12, these days.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, given that I had no prior experience with Purdeys, I thought I might go have the gun assessed by our own CJO. Always an enjoyable time plus I got an in person update on the progress of my Lindner Diamond Grade.

CJO described the gun as clearly original with Churchill rib and factory short (25") barrels. Original finishes and likely never opened up. He thought it was in very good condition, better than several similar Purdey's he's seen sell in the last couple years.

Haven't shot it yet but hope to get out next week.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback, I find IC/Full to be the perfect rooster/prairie grouse combo. YMMV

Sidelock
Sidelock

It doesnt look like the “normal” Churchill style of rib to me.....could you snap another pic of the rib? My Churchill ribs taper from the breech and the top is file cut/matted. Purdeys are amazing. I have honestly never seen a bad one...even the dreaded 1970’s guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago a friend bought a William Ford 12 gauge with approx. 24" barrels. We both loved the gun and assumed the barrels were cut however since it was intended for Mi. Grouse we were OK with it since the wood, the engraving and the condition were all excellent. The tubes were touching at the muzzle and imagine our surprise when the chokes (measuring almost 3") came out to .035" and .042"! A few years later I was in Birmingham England and had the good fortune of visiting Ford and looking in their ledger. I was able to find it and in the remarks column was written "Alligator gun". When I asked about this the fellow who was helping me remembered hearing about such guns. They were made for dispatching the Alligator, once captured, over the gunnel of the boat. I always thought this was a neat find and if providence hadn't played a part we would never have known "the rest of the story". By the way, in our mid 70's, the gun actually handles very nicely especially in heavy cover with these short tubes. He's never opened up the chokes wanting it just as it came. It's either a feather explosion or nothing. Thinking about this I may be mixing up two species, on second thought it could have been a Croc gun instead of Alligator. Seems to make more sense this way...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eddie,
Have you ever tried spreader loads in it to tame the chokes? I tend to leave guns as they were born within reason.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't want spreaders for gators, Karl. Everything needs to be concentrated for gators, and big hogs. wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
He mentioned shredded birds and I thought that was his quarry. As is I'm sure the gun would work for the intended game, but with birds it might need some help as choked.
Karl

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.