April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Ken Nelson, Jtplumb, btbell, Stanton Hillis, graybeardtmm3), 856 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

What I find most interesting is how deep of a case depth you can achieve at the lower temp ranges. Something some so called "experts" say can not be done. It's nice to have numbers to back up what I have always suspected and observed in the trials I have run over the years. I have also found warpage and quench cracking to be much less of a problem when staying below 1500 deg.

I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
What I find most interesting is how deep of a case depth you can achieve at the lower temp ranges. Something some so called "experts" say can not be done....

I wouldnt think there would be much disputing that higher temps and longer times could allow available carbon to migrate deeper into lower carbon steel. For gun finish, wouldnt the question be, is it necessary? I dont think the colors have been shown to be caused by the carbon, so would packing material intended create colors be affected by excessive heat and time.

It also could be that industrial case hardening of low carbon alloy steels benefit from much more precise controls and higher available carbon than inside of a char coal crucible. Id think short of taking multiple samples out of a gun part for analysis before color casing, experience in the art of it may come into play.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Temper colors are produced at temperatures well below that necessary for hardening. This would of course normally give a uniform color to the entire part, not the mottled effect of Color Case Hardening. For hardening to take place it is necessary the part be above its critical temp & then quenched. This temp varies according to the carbon content of the base steel. The higher the carbon content the lower the critical temp. The listed 1400 is no doubt above the critical temp for the steel being used for those results. Often times the temp will be raised somewhat for the Carburising stage & then dropped for the hardening phase, but, not below that critical temp. After carburizing the carbon rich case does not need quite as high a temp to harden as it needed to absorb the carbon. Most of the warpage & size change occurs at the quench & the higher the temp above that which is an absolute requirement the more likely it is to occur.

As I stated I have not been involved in any Color Hardening, but it is my understanding to get good colors some form of Animal Charcoal is essential. Just a pure Heat Temper will not give these mottled effects.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
If the harder case gives part of the frame, the skin, a higher yield point, even if it is by virtue of a greater stretch before the yield, could that not be interpreted in layman's terms as "stronger", Don?

Yes, Stan, and it is being so interperted. Consider how we define a part failure of a gun. When a part suffers yield (not separation failure) it can't return to original size/shape. The case (skin) will be applying force to the core as it attempts to return to original size/shape and the core will be resisting the return to original as it now has a different size/shape due to having yielded.

Aside from the abrasion and wear resistance the hard skin affords, an increased resistance to yielding can easily be seen as strength, to non-engineers.

True, but the case (skin) adds no resistance to yielding as it has the same stress/strain characteristics as the core to the core's yield point. The case's higher yield occurs at a strain that will have yielded the softer core.

I think this is another case where an engineer and a layman has a simple disagreement over the definition of a term, in this case............... "strength". I have to sit with Miller on this one, on the layman's pew, though I bow to both of your superior understanding of steels.

I must disagree. It is easy to "see" the case as adding strength based on higher yield point. However, said higher yield point comes into play only after the core has yielded and is failed.

Ruminating, over a cup of joe. wink

SRH

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd, note that color is a by-product of hardening and not even a reliable indication of hardening.

The fact that guns were often sent out unengraved "in the white" for the season is testimony to the strength of an unhardened gun being adequate. I am reasonably sure that protection of the engraving was a strong reason for case hardening.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
....For hardening to take place it is necessary the part be above its critical temp & then quenched....

....Often times the temp will be raised somewhat for the Carburising stage & then dropped for the hardening phase, but, not below that critical temp....

....Most of the warpage & size change occurs at the quench & the higher the temp above that which is an absolute requirement the more likely it is to occur....

Only conversation Miller. I think games can be played with critical temperature, not necessarily for good heat treating practices.

I've mentioned before and it's easy to verify. Critical temperature is not necessarily the by the book the best temp. for quenching, but it's a practical temp. that can be verified with a magnet. On the way up in temp., carbon steel will loose its magnetism at a very sharp point. But, if one lets the temp. slowly drop, it will be very apparent that the steel becomes magnetic again slowly at a much cooler temp. than it did when hit critical on the way up. Anyway, quenching non magnetic steel will harden it, even if it's not good heat treating principles.

I believe that's a possible intended, or unintended, benefit of delaying quenching the contents of a charcoal pack. The parts may be at a lower temperature than the oven was set at, and the part may have significant temperature differences from thinner to thicker areas, affecting color distribution. It may also be a strategy to attempt to minimize warping. Again, only thoughts, nothing more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
craigd, note that color is a by-product of hardening and not even a reliable indication of hardening....

I'd agree and suspect that it is the intent of a process and not necessarily for the metallurgy.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.