May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Themauserkid, Ted Schefelbein, journeymen, Borderbill, 2 invisible), 145 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,108
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got off the phone with John G. We spoke of both the metallurgical and practical aspects of case hardening and coloring. The gist is as follows.

Metallurgically, annealing before re-case hardening is not necessary. All hardness is lost when the metal temperature goes above critical; the metal has no "memory" of hardness. Practically, most parts will require some amount of polishing/pit removal/re-engraving which will be vastly easier to do after annealing. Further, a part retaining the original "skin" hardness is more likely to be filed/ground/polished in a way that leaves the "skin" thickness uneven - remember that case thickness is on the order of 0.002" - 0.003". Re-casing will increase the "skin" thickness and surface carbon content. But, it will not completely even out the thickness. Thinner parts are more likely to warp from an uneven "skin" thickness.

Warped parts can generally be bent back to working dimensions due to the core softness of the metal and the thinness of the hard "skin".

Repeated case hardening cycles will produce poorer colors due to increasing carbon content at the surface (high carbon steel is more resistant to oxidation than is low carbon) and thicker "skins" that are more prone to warping and to cracking. Smaller/thinner parts are more subject to this than are bigger/thicker parts.

Modern alloys can generally be case hardened without through hardening due to the higher critical temperature of such alloys. Also, those parts that are through hardened can be case hardened and colored without loss of all through hardness as case hardening/coloring temperature is around 1250 degrees F.

Oxide colors can be restablished at temperatures in the 700 degree F range. John tells me that some of the CC colors do not appear in oxide coloring and will be absent unless the part is heated to the afore mentioned 1250 degree range and submersed in casing material. He should know better than I do.

In sum, most parts will need to be annealed prior to re-casing. Warping is a fact of life and not the end of life. There is a very finite number of times a part can be re-cased; for very thin pieces that may be only one (the original). Oxide colors can be re-established without rehardening, but true CC can only be re-established via re-casing.

Hope that helps some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a good friend that has reestablished colors on perhaps 20 double guns at his home workshop using bone charcoal pack, quenching in highly oxygenated water after heating to around 650 degrees in his heat treating oven. His colors are very nice and do not look cheap or tacky. They may lack some of the colors that are possible to achieve at the 1200+ degree range. My question is, can variation of the pack materials help achieve some of those colors at low temps that are normally brought out at the higher temps, or is it only possible to get those colors by going to the higher temps? If so, why risk the higher temps if polishing or chasing of engraving is absolutely not necessary?

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan et al:
Perhaps this will be of interest.
I have mentioned this before but will mention again.
About three years ago I have the great pleasure to examine a beautiful gun that was custom built in the Tula (USSR) Arsenal. It had bee a presentation piece from Kruschev to Wilson.
This gun had the most incredible colors. It was pink, reddish, orange, green, blue and light purple. The overall tints were subtle and astounding beautiful. Much like the most lovely sky just before the sun sets.
I posted the question of how these colors were gained and our friend, Geno answered. He stated that is one used powdered leather charcoal as well as bone, this was the result.
I think that the reason that I was so smitten with these subtle colors is that they did not camouflage the the beautiful engraving as does deep colors.
perhaps we can encourage some to try this. I think I may with the Pedersen at some time.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Rocketman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, this one has been just a bit more revealing than our 1001 previous disputations over Martensite and the critical temp. For me, it's a keeper. And thanks to John Gillette also.

jack

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.