April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, Jeremy Pearce, battle, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This dbl rifle walked in the shop the other day and I've been unable to turn up much information about the maker. About a .40 cal, marked R.Wakefield, London on the brls and R. Wakefield on the lock plates. Looks to be transition era; off-center top lever screw, single under-bolt, keyed forend, percussion era guard.
Any ideas or experience with such a rifle or the maker?

Sidelock
Sidelock

SDH..Interesting Gun-Rifle! Does the Top-Lever Cam off the corner of the 'cut-out' at the top strap? Looks somewhat kinda, sorta like a Westley R. Have you stripped it down? any Initials stamped anywhere? Engraving looks a little Provincial' Or Belgium. The only "Wakefield" that comes to mind is the street that Hollands Factory is on as it Intersects The Harrow Road...I'm sure that 'Diggory' or Salopian' will be of help..CC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pull the barrel and show the proofs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure looks like a Richards to me. This Wakefield could be a seller and not a builder.
I have found a couple of other references to this name but there is no history as a builder, so far.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be a London marked Belgium gun ?

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I haven't taken it apart yet so there is much more that I don't know than what I do.
Here's pix of the barrel and action flats. These are the only marking other than the signatures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

British back powder proof marks, what happened to the exterior of the barrels? Waiting for browning? Reblue on the mechanical end, seemingly,
Mike

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It looks like the whole gun was hot blued at one time. Estate gun, this is the way it came in the shop. Extractor & sights missing. Very nice locks (no interior markings) and excellent lock inletting.
Anyone know anything about the maker? I haven't got all the references, all I can find is one sentence in Carder about a shotgun.
David, that little tiny mark on the short rib behind the loop looks like A through a B?

Sidelock
Sidelock

R. Wakefield is not listed in Nigel Brown's "British Gunmakers - Volume One - London" or Crudgington or Boothroyd

Reading from left to right I would like to know what the last marks on the barrel are called or what they signify. I have a shotgun that I can't ID with a similar mark.

Pictures of the gun were posted here some time ago and we were never able to ID the gun. Maybe knowing what the mark means will help. Dealers have looked at the gun--some think it is English others German--no on knows for sure.

I can't post pictures--too dumb. Daryl Halquist did it for me earlier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.