April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I had to contact a fellow in New Mexico. He lived in a remote house that didn't have electricity. You had to call him between certain hours, his phone only worked while he ran his generator.
He supplied no letter only a verbal list of the guns features.
I think his name is Maurice Munge (or something close to that)."

David is correct, this individual's name was Maurice Mudge. I first became aware of Maurice in about 1989 when I became interested in researching and collecting SAC guns and heard that he had a few examples. Maurice owned a gun shop in up-state New York and we used to visit via telephone from time to time. He shared copies of old magazine adds and stories of guns he'd seen and/or owned, shared serial numbers and grade data on the 5 SAC guns in his collection; and said he owned a collection totaling 25 of the Hollenbeck drillings (seemed to have a passion for these drillings). It was thru these conversations that I first heard of Rudy Kostelecky; and that Rudy owned the surviving company records and parts. In one of my last conversations with Maurice he told me he'd purchased those records and parts from Rudy; but where they are now I've no idea, nor do I know if Maurice is still with us either. The last time I spoke to Maurice he announced he was retiring; said he'd purchased 500 acres in New Mexico and would be selling his shop and relocating there. This was sometime in the mid to late 90's and I've not heard from him since. Many of his guns were sold at auction by Amoskeag; and from that auction I purchased an early Grade D SAC gun he owned. Interestingly, there was only one of Maurice's Hollenbeck drillings offered in that auction; a high grade example with engraved dogs, and I heard that one of our members here purchased that gun? I've no idea where the others went; but have wondered if they were purchased by the collector who's recently consigned multiple Hollenbeck drillings to Cherry's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Ron Peterson Mr. Mudge is still with us. He has moved back to New York and is no longer in New Mexico. Mr. Mudge sold his SACs/Hollenbeck collection at the March 27th, 1999 Amoskeag Auction.

Last edited by doublenut; 04/10/18 06:08 PM.

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

One Friday night in 1992 I got a call from Mr Mudge. He found out
from Devine's Auction that I had bought 2 Kirkwood Shell Boxes-
He wanted one and I sold one.
In our conversation he told me about his collection of Drillings-this interested me as I had a Kirkwood Drilling. He wanted me to
be on the lookout for Three Barrell Gun Co serial # 5 1/2 a
20 X 20 X 25xx ( Do not remember exact Caliber).
The next day I went to the Charlotte NC Gunshow- low and behold
I found the Gun-called Mr Mudge that night -he wanted gun-$1500
Sent someone to get it the next day-all was happy.

Several years latter I went on a business meeting-drug along
4 Kirkwoods and took a day trip to see Mr Mudge.
Saw his guns and records-saw the Ledger with gun 5 1/2 listed

At that time Morris had a beautiful Lefever B Grade Side-Cocker
Drilling-showed him my D Kirkwood 34 in Hammer Drilling 12x12x
38-55-He smiled

Later bought a Hammerless D Kirkwood Drilling paradox 12x12x38-55
from him.
Knew he Moved-Glad to hear he is still up and around

My Drillings will be at The Southern- if you wish to shoot them
bring you shells-also Kirkwood Doubles

Regards
Bill McPhail

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always wondered about SN # 5 1/2! Why it was Serial numbered that way and if it still existed. Id love to see that gun! I have #7 and didnt know of any in existence below that. Neat story Phil. Thanx for sharing.

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill
Looking forward to seeing you at the Southern; where will your table be?
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Front tent-same as last year I assume.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Will bring my Kirkwoods and have an unofficial
"Team Kirkwood"-pick a gun -shooter supplies RST shells
Bill

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

Front tent-same as last year I assume.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Will bring my Kirkwoods and have an unofficial
"Team Kirkwood"-pick a gun -shooter supplies RST shells
Bill

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill
There's two "front" tents; so for clarification, will you be in the "front" tent by the clubhouse or the "front" tent down there next to the RST shells display? (I know, I'm being a smart-a#*)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom
The Tent right by the RST Truck-
Tables in the middle on the side of the RST Truck
See you there
Bill

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

This post made us (Lefever Arms Collectors Association) decide to reproduce the American Drilling display that we had in Baltimore at the Southern. On display will be drillings from: D. M. Lefever (sidecocker). Lefever Arms Co. (AA grade), Baker, L.C. Smith, Hallenbeck, Three Barrel Gun Co, Royal Gun Co., and D. Kirkwood.
We will be in the tent down from Bill, closer to the L.C. Smith/Parker tent if everything is the same as the last few years. There will be a few Lefevers for sale and several high grades on display.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.