March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The thread on resleeved British guns got me thinking about similar British guns with wooden stock extensions. These seem to be extremely common - perhaps because they don't sell well (?).

Some stock extensions are better done that others, but I have yet to see one that I found palatable. Am I just overly picky? I would rather have a resleeved Brit gun than original barrels and a stock extension.

So, by what percentage does a stock extension tend to depress the value of the same gun with a normal stock? I'm thinking of guns in the $3-5k range, not "best" guns that are simply beyond my zip code of affordability.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, to me a mismatched stock extension isn't acceptable. I would not buy the gun. If I did have one it would be in a box one the way to Mark Larson to be grain painted to match. JMHO...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Geo, I'm definitely with you. I would have to be ready to restock it, and it would have to be priced accordingly.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
I've seen many nice guns that I would consider, only to be put off by the stock extention. I think George has the best solution as far as looks are concerned. I find mismatched stock extentions right up there with visible sleeving marks or rings.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 04/04/18 11:40 AM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Depends on price point/gun value and size of extension to me. Small to moderate size one is fine on a shooter, not acceptable at all on a high grade collector piece. Just my view.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB, I am interested only in shooters. But I still think the extensions are just unacceptable. I'm also pretty ill disposed to recoil pads, even solid ones, and if they are especially thick or using spacers. But to me, they stock extension gun would have to be at 1/2 normal price for me to even think about it and I'd still probably not do it.

I enjoy looking at the guns on a site like hillrodandgun.com which always has a nice selection of doubles but I am always surprised at the number of them that have stock extensions of several inches, or really thick recoil pads that simply do not compliment the woodwork.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are two examples
The first is a Grant with a 5/8" extension and priced at $6800.
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12876
This gun is too expensive for my wallet, but even if I could afford it, there is no way I could live with it at is. I might, in the case, slice off the extension and live with a leather pad. Maybe.

Here is a second gun that was priced at $5500 and apparently sold. It is a Churchill with a 2" extension. This would be a restocking project so far as I'm concerned and it's too expensive at that price for me to consider in that light.
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12855

So, of course, these are only my feelings and VERY uninformed opinions, but I am curious if I am in the same ballpark as most people or not.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, like you just said, they’re shooters, they aren’t looking for compliments.

Im with SKB on this one. The previous owner did what they had to do to get the gun to shoot somewhere in the vicinity that they needed it to. Even if the gun was bought at 1/2 the price, restocking is going to cost more than the gun is worth. Once you decide to restock, you’re at the point of no return, monetary return that is. Unless you’re doing the work yourself.
If you’re buying “shooter” grade guns, you’re just gonna have to live with some of bumps, bruises and add-ons that come with them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem is that most men 100 years ago were smaller in size than men today. At 6’ 4” my grandfather was one of or the tallest men in his division when it went to France in WWI. Most men were in the 5’ 6”- 5’10” range. So a gun made to fit a short armed man would rarely fit one of us today. That’s why I see so many 13-14” guns. To make them stretch out to the 14+” I need a pad or extension is needed. And I hate any pad greater than about 3/4” ok ine with a white line in it.

Every gun with a extension is just a shooter as far as I am concerned. How desperate are you for another shooter. Restocking sounds like an option but cost for a proper job kills all sales under 6-7K. You can’t put 3k into a 3k gun unless it is free.

Last edited by KY Jon; 04/04/18 12:11 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ky Jon, I'm not desperate at all. I'm only looking to please myself, but I frequently find these guns that I consider vastly overpriced because of the extensions, and I guess there are more people willing to live with that than I thought.

If you have seen the pictures I've posted of my doubles, then you know I don't mind bumps and bruises, and I'm definitely not fishing for compliments. In fact, I appreciate them as part of the history and patina of the gun, but stock extensions are so far beyond bumps and bruises. I guess it is just me (and Geo).

Last edited by BrentD; 04/04/18 12:05 PM.

_________

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.