May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Cold1, David Williamson, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,006 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,797
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Because the government has frightened people so that uninformed sellers think they have to. I had a gun shipped to a particularly ornery gunshop here last week because the seller refused to ship direct.

The gun was a Wilkes-Barre which went out of business in 1895. Once the gunshop had it in hand they refused to let me have it without filling out a 4473 and paying them a transfer fee. Aggravating!...Geo

Geo needs to find a local FFL who understands the law and isn't a money grubbing dick. Gunbroker has a nationwide list of FFL dealers who will do transfers, and there were several in my area I didn't even know of, along with a wide range of prices for the exact same firearms transfer service and Instant Check if necessary. I have had several instances where an internet seller insisted upon shipping the gun to an FFL for transfer even when I can prove it is Antique. I was present when my dealer called the BATF Field Office and was informed that Antiques do not require transfer and should not be entered into his Bound Ledger Book. In these cases, my FFL accepts delivery for me and simply hands me the gun after I show him that it indeed a pre-1899 gun. He never wants any money for accepting the package, but I always tip him something as a goodwill gesture.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,

You asked if it was legal. I JUST sold a pre-1899 gun, so this is all refreshed again for me.

The answer is YES according to the ATF, but NO according to the USPS. I dunno if that makes it "illegal" or simply in violation of USPS "policy"...and whether those two things are the same or not. Here's why:

1. The USPS has their own definition of what an antique is...and the way I read it, it means only muzzle-loaders. (https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm)

2. As of late 2011, all long guns must be sent via Priority EXPRESS only. (https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm)

*Note section 12.2, subsection "a"

This was baffling to me...as Priority Express makes the cost of shipping a gun get to $100+ in some cases.

3. You live in Georgia, so your state regs are probably friendly. But in NY State they have a similar definition to the USPS as to what constitutes an "antique." It CANNOT fire modern ammunition. As such one can be technically IN compliance with ATF, while NOT according to state law.

I have received a different interpretation from the NY State every time I called. Sometimes they say NY State rez can only SHIP without FFL...other times they say NO transaction in or out bound without FFL unless the gun is basically a pre-1899 muzzle loader.

And the USPS office manager I spoke to locally was similarly clear as mud. She seemed to be visably uncomfortable even saying the word "firearm" aloud, as we discussed.

I left there practically hoping the nation's electric grid would go out for 3 minths. (Hopefully, only sane people would survive.)

In all seriousness...how many people on this forum even knew that the USPS says you must ship your pre-1899 shotgun both as Registered Mail, and via Priority Express class service?

NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

So I shipped UPS Ground, and to an FFL.

The gun is a pre-1899 SXS with twist barrels.

And the C&R buyer was not happy with having to pay a local FFL.

We both lamented the idiocy of the situation.

NDG

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudge, I don't agree if you look at the regulation that you stated, it say's, Express mail, Registered Mail or Insured over $200 so that a signature is required.

USPS regs.

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns

[Revise renumbered 12.2 as follows:]

Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shot­guns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:

"a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must in­clude either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivered."

So I think USPS just wants to make sure that the package is signed for and not just dropped on the porch of a house. At least that's the way I read it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I once had a pre -1898 damascus I. Hollis shipped directly to me from Australia. Gunshop owner there said it was fine. It came to my local post office, where I picked it up. It was in an unmarked cardboard box.
Was that legal?
SRH

Probably a customs violation...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It wasn't a custom, Geo. Just a simple BLNE. wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, well in that case there'd probably be no problem...Geo

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Completely legal at the time and still legal under our laws. What has changed is the Australian and New Zealand post will no longer ship any guns, antique or modern, via the postal service.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

In times past I had antique guns shipped directly from the UK to me by mail multiple times. Cost about $55.00 to do it. They no longer ship that way at any price I am told. I had limited paperwork on them but very little was required. You had to be able to document that they were pre- 1898 built.

I bought four guns which had been imported from The UK without any paperwork at all. Just came over in a container labeled as used household goods and antiques. Luck would have it that they all were pre 1898 so no real crime was committed. They had paid a import duty on the declared value for antiques which the guns were. Would not like to try that in today’s anti gun climate. But I just bought them from the antique dealer who opened the container and found them and then panicked. His agent bought an entire country house estate and packed all the decent stuff and shipped it to the US. The guns were part of the decent stuff.

My only mistake was selling the two double rifles quickly for what I felt was a nice profit. Last time I saw the Boswell the asking price for as 20K more than what I sold it for. Never saw the other gun on the web but I know it sold at least once since then as the buyer I sold it to has long since passed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.