May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, ClapperZapper, LeFusil), 640 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 38 39
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Two points....

....The cost of training and arming teachers would be much better invested in school's counseling services so that potential shooters can be better identified and treated before they do something irrevocable.

I suppose it would beg the question, do you think this would work? I think there have been many examples of throwing money at projects to feel a bit better about things, but how can this prevent sensationalizing the next shooting?

It's safe to say that there will be multiple school related shooting fatalities in Chicago in the coming week, but it won't be splashed on tv to further an agenda, nor will there be a call for extra counselors. Maybe, the money would be best spent countering the divisive 'news' outlets? If there are hundreds of millions of firearms in the country and only one was capable of making the evening news, shame on us for helping them profit from it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
....important to the discussion than what set of skills are interchangable, is where an individual falls on the "wolves, sheep, or sheepdogs" profile. Kids can be wolves, as can, unfortunately, teachers, or cops. But, everyone falls somewhere in that set, including the cop who was suspended and later resigned at Parkland. He was a sheep.
I will never believe that all people employed in a profession fall into a single group. There are teachers who would make very capable sheepdogs....

A few bucks identifying the sheepdogs would've been money well spent. I think it would be tough to make a case against the football coach having a weapon and using it. But, in today's world there would be ideological critics and mountains of legal expenses if the shooter were the only one killed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure it's more accurate where I taught high school (rural/small town Iowa), but there were several teachers, both places I taught, who were either vets or hunters or target shooters--or all of the above. So they had a certain amount of training and experience already. I had Iowa CC and would have been willing to carry in school. Would have worked harder on my handgun skills, as I think most would if they were to accept that responsibility.

And I've known high school counselors, both good and bad. The good ones do a great job of identifying problems. But the issue is, laws would have to be changed in order to keep the student in question from owning guns, or perhaps accessing guns owned by others in his home. Right now, the only way you can keep guns away from them is by committing them to a mental institution. If that information is reported to the FBI, then it would stop them from purchasing a gun when the background check is made. However, they could get around that by purchasing from a private seller. Hard to plug all the loopholes, and even the best counselors and the most observant parents aren't always going to catch the warning signs. There is no foolproof way to make the world 100% safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A doctor recommended my younger friend put his juvenile son on riddling...I talked him out of it by explaining that his son was just a kid being a kid. His son grew up lost his bad habits and grew up to be a fine young man. Had he listened to the doctor who knows where his son would be now.

A simple solution...no kid on prescription anti depressants should have access to a firearm in the home or other wise.

Holding the parent/parents accountable for putting them on drugs then allowing access to firearms makes more sense than punishing the general population.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paradox
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
He should face charges as stiff as manslaughter.

What facts do you believe exist that establish the elements of manslaughter? There are none.

If the guy had did his duty less kids might have died.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Thomas Keller of the Peter Cartridge Co. committed suicide before any effective treatment for depression or bipolar disorder was available
https://books.google.com/books?id=sVEZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA387&lpg

"Shell shock" came long before the diagnosis of PTSD

A bit of humility in presuming to understand or direct treatment for another person's struggles would be prudent.
The problem is inadequate evaluation and inappropriate treatment, for what is a life threatening illness.

My great grandfather fought with the South and lived through the Civil War and lived a fruitful life.

I knew a man that landed on the beaches at Normandy and walked on dead bodies to get to the shore....his son told me some nights he jumped straight out of bed but he was a man and lived a normal fruitful life.

I knew another man that went down on two ships in the Pacific another that had his lower teeth shot out by machine gun fire on a Japanese island...they both lived fruitful lives. I'm sure others have known real men.

I had two uncles in Germany and another in North Africa...they also lived fruitful PTSD free lives.

I know some of these vets have had a ruff time but none endured what men did in the Civil War, World War I or II.

A lot of this modern day PTSD has to be drummed up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tragic failures on every level
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/23/flo...kolas-cruz.html

and this
A visit by a mental health clinician at Henderson Behavioral Health ended with a determination Cruz “was not at risk to harm himself or others,” and the teen was instructed to sign a safety contract.

(The qualifications of the "clinician" are not mentioned.)

He told police that voices in his head -- called “demons” by law enforcement sources -- told him to carry out the attack.

And we're all way to sophisticated today to believe self-mutilation (he was a cutter) and homicidal violence could have anything to do with demonic possession. His Public Defender says he is "just a child with poor impulse control."

Sidelock
Sidelock

You being a man of the cloth should know you can't fix evil....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen jOe. I can't do a thing, but the Holy Spirit can.

But God expects us to be providers, protectors, and priests (intercessors and teachers) for our families, and for widows and orphans (single moms and parentless kids - James 1:27).
Our church has a well armed and well trained security team for that reason.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I'm fine with the fact you've demonstrated. My point has no sympathy for shooters. It's not their treatment I care about. It's their identification and their being prevented from arming themselves. School shooters aren't intimidated by armed resistance. They expect to die. They shoot themselves.

Bill Ferguson
Page 5 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.