March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, SKB, Roundsworth, Hammergun, canvasback, 1 invisible), 332 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MRC-Mequon-Reloading-Lee-28-Ga-Gauge-2-3-4-Shotshell-Loader-Reloader-Kit/323087159396?hash=item4b397ed064:g:GdUAAOSwOFBai4uq

Copy and paste entire link

Mike

YIKES!!! $125 is a bit steep. Thank God it sold, as I am weak! May just scrounge around the plumbing dept at Lowes for the right ID pipe to cobble something together.

Last edited by Rudybollo; 02/21/18 11:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be cautious of what a shotgun sizer could do for you. I think your chamber is tapered, and it doesn't sound like you have even been able to get to the base which is maybe all the commercial sizer would do.

If you want to go low budget, maybe you could drill a few holes in scrap steel plate, based using some indicating die and measurements of where the case is hanging up in the chamber. I'd bet you could create a series of mild steps to get the brass to chamber, then fire form and trim before loading. Who knows, but I would suspect that the web of a brass case may be hard on conventional shotgun sizing equipment. Only thoughts.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I'd be cautious of what a shotgun sizer could do for you. I think your chamber is tapered, and it doesn't sound like you have even been able to get to the base which is maybe all the commercial sizer would do.

If you want to go low budget, maybe you could drill a few holes in scrap steel plate, based using some indicating die and measurements of where the case is hanging up in the chamber. I'd bet you could create a series of mild steps to get the brass to chamber, then fire form and trim before loading. Who knows, but I would suspect that the web of a brass case may be hard on conventional shotgun sizing equipment. Only thoughts.

I started thinking about this, too, and realized I was on the wrong track. What puzzles me is that the gun apparently functioned as a 28 gauge shotgun after its original boring out and rechambering. It could be that the thinner brass shotgun shells of the late 19th century "plumped out" more easily at the base when fired in this oversized chamber. But .040 seems like too much for the Magtech to expand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudybollo,
I agree that .040" is too much, but You won't know unless you try it. If the cases hold together, don't size them back to 28 ga., that would be sure to split them. If you try it, wrap a thin strip of tape or file label around the case, ahead of the rim, to center the case in the chamber( so the whole .040" isn't on one side, tape can be removed after first firing). It looks more and more like you will have to buy a lathe and learn to use it.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the thing to keep under consideration is that the starting brass is 24ga. with only a .oo2" clearance at the base. My thinking was the majority of the hangup is a long taper in the chamber, but while it can work, I still would think there will be a somewhat smaller hangup when the base is able to start chambering. I would not size the brass cases for a loose fit, but keep it snug so it's held against the breech, then fire form. Again, only thoughts about how the situation seems to be described, sorry if I'm reading it wrong.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I will try to bump out the 28 gauge cases. I have some copper tape that I can wrap around the base ahead of rim. Could be slow going and burn a bunch of powder, but if I can get 10 cases, that is all I need for the intent of using this as a plinker and MAYBE a woods rifle.

The other choice is expensive, but maybe best. That would be to send a chamber cast to Rocky Mountain Cartridge. They would mill a tapered brass case from solid stick and have it bored to take the .562 round balls I have. Cases would be around $5 each, maybe more, but would last forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you size the cases in a 577 Snider die?
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 02/22/18 09:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudybollo,
If you start with about 10 grains of bullseye, stop it off with TP, fill the case up with Grits or polishing media, then stop it off with paraffin or something, then shoot it; it wouldn't take too much powder. You might have to adjust the charge.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Could you size the cases in a 577 Snider die?
Mike

Maybe. Don't have one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.