April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, Argo44, Roundsworth, graybeardtmm3, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 427 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

When shipping a long gun in a cardboard box for sale, I go to my friend's mfg shop's shipping dept and I wrap in many layers of a commercial foam sheet wrapping mat'l, up to a couple inches or more thick. Then make a box the correct size from a larger box by cutting it down. I then take sheet cardboard and line all sides inside the box with at least 2 or 3 addition layers to protect from sharp penetration. Then I put the foam wrapped gun in and pack all around with additional foam wrap until it's tightly fitted. Sounds like overkill? Well maybe. But I don't think it is.

Most people don't know this, but all cardboard box mat'l is not anywhere near the same strength. Look at the boxes for Chinese products and then compare to a 220 psf rated new box made in the US. Big difference.

If I'm shipping to a stockmaker or gunsmith and expect the gun back, I put it in a inexpensive hard guncase first then pack it up in a cutdown box fitted with multi layers of sheet cardboard for protection.

Although I know a lot of dealers and others do it and get away with it most of the time, I would never ship in a single layer cardboard box, never.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shinbone........Welcome aboard......Chicago Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Spend the money and buy a mod-priced take down gun case; wrap the pieces separatly and pack in the case. Then take the gun case to a UPS Store or other packing store and have a heavy box made for the case. I have done it this way for the past 8-9 years and that case has more more mileage that I have frequent flyer miles.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Hussey #57641 09/21/07 03:25 PM
APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just has a stock returned from Umberger- they forgot to wrap in newspaper or tissue papaer and the stock imprinted the finish of the foam packing.

I always wrap in newspaper and with hammer guns i add a piece of packing around the hammers then bubble wrap.

I have had no damage in over 100 shipments. Over do it- it is worth it.

al

APS #57646 09/21/07 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What they said. It cannot hurt to overdo the wrapping. I too use newspaper in the case, case wrapped in foam or equivalent (but NOT PEANUTS) and a good corrugated box. Works well no matter which shipper. Here in SE Michigan, UPS works best. USPS is second because it is slightly less convenient for me. I understand this varies all over the country but UPS has worked for me in Montana, Maryland, New York and Michigan. I ship overnight or registered and never let the gun sit somewhere over a nonbusiness day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last double I shipped was in a hard takedown case. I don't know what some have against peanuts but I filled all open spaces around the gun with them. I then constructed a heavy cardboard box myself to enclose the case. I shipped it USPS Priority with $201* insurance and signature required.
*All of my collectible firearms are insured with CIA so I just needed the minimum postal insurance for tracking and signature to meet their shipping requirements.
jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun can travel within the box using peanuts. Sometimes the box is thrown around a lot or bumped a lot in transit. I have had a trigger guard banging against the wood stock. It is wise to first wrap the gun in common newspaper.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

A $20 plastic gun case is perfect for shipping but it is way too long. Does anyone make a takedown inexpensive case that we can use for shipping?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Italiansxs;

You said: "I shipped it USPS Priority with $201* insurance and signature required.
*All of my collectible firearms are insured with CIA so I just needed the minimum postal insurance for tracking and signature to meet their shipping requirements."

Specifically; "$201* insurance" and what is "CIA"?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks for more info.

Jolly

Sidelock
Sidelock

SHIP USPS Priority if you dont need much Ins. Registered is cheap when it comes to high dollar items but does take longer. There is a price point for registered versus Priority. i dont have it in form of me. go to the USPS website.
ship take down guns broken down. Even if you use a full size case. You must have it signed for, new ATF rewuirement so 210.00 ins. means signature so that covers you.

I ship USPS only and have had great results.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.