May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, Ken Nelson, Borderbill, 3 invisible), 250 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it's pretty common for folks who want to stabilize wood with some sort of curing liquid to draw a vacuum on the piece to remove moisture and natural oils, so there's little voids for the polymer to enter. It's pretty easy to rig pipe with threaded caps and a fitting to draw a vacuum inside. A brake bleeder could do it, but that would be painfully slow for a container large enough for a stock.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting about the pressure tank. Five gallon units are sold on eBay for 150$, not sure if they would work or not.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only thoughts, but the tank could probably be sourced from the scrap yard. Stuff like flanged pipe, cut open an old O2 cylinder, etc. With a perfect vacuum, which may not happen, the maximum force pushing in on the vessel would only be one atmosphere. It could collapse, but wouldn't burst outward as if it were pressurized. I'm familiar with things like this. You only really need to tap one little hole for a vacuum hook up. A ball valve will shut it off so the pump doesn't have to run constantly, and a tee off of it for a vacuum gauge is a good idea. With a little familiarizing, it could be a good time saver with likely little worry for the wood. Only thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I should mention the reason I never continued any further with this system when I returned home. The main problem was the expense of purchasing a quality vacuum pump and control gear capable of producing vacuums of 3 bar and over and keeping it stable for an extended period of time. The pressure vessel was not a problem to assemble from a length 6 inch diameter 3/8 inch wall steel pipe welded shut at one end having the vacuum pipe inlet fitted also a vacuum release valve and at the other end a bolt flange fitted with a steel closing plate and rubber gasket for access.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How about using a vacuum pump like those used to purge an A/C system on an automobile. They're pretty slow, but it is my understanding that they really are powerful. Like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

It is rated to 10 Pascals. That is .0001 BAR. Anybody understand all that enough to know if it would work, or if that is enough vacuum?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They've got a higher priced one that goes to 3 Pascals. I don't know if that is better or worse ................more or less. crazy

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those things are a head scratcher Stan. There're probably a dozen different brands that label that basic machine. I'd consider seeing if the amp ratings are available. Chances are the truly stronger motor will get to where they can, a bit quicker. If a person had some confidence in assessing used machines, they seem to be available for pennies on the dollar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that I should give you folks the results of my enquiries about what type of vacuum pump is required to produce a good workable vacuum.
The pump needs be a "Rotary Vane Double Stage Oil Bath Vacuum Pump". I also found that gauges and control gear for compressors and pressure vessels are a very reasonable cost, but as soon as you enter the world of vacuum generation all price logic seemed to go out of the window and be replaced by high costs indeed. This is all the knowledge I have about duplicating the vacuum kit I used in the factory. I hope the prices are much lower for the bits and pieces needed to build it on your side of the pond, though here in the UK it is far to expensive.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The $149.99 one pulls to 22.5 microns. Can anyone help translate that into gunsmithing-ese? Specifically, is that enough vacuum to do the job? On a conversion table that translates to 0 bars. Am I correct that 0 bars is a greater vacuum than the 3 bars damascus mentioned? Or, am I bassackwards?

This apparatus could be a huge improvement over soaks if it will work and could be assembled for under $300. I believe I can make the pressure vessel from salvaged pipe, etc. It would be so easy to repeat the toilet tissue wrap, and let sit overnight in the container, as many times as needed to remove most of the oil. The possibility of picking up a used one cheap is a good idea too, craig, thus lowering the initial costs even more.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/16/18 08:00 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that I may have made things a little difficult by using the word Bar. So to make it clear the gauge on the factory unit was in Bar the unit was put together by the factory them selves the gauge could have been sourced from anywhere. Now the Germanic logic!! Atmosphere is 14.27 psi so according to the gauge on the unit 1 bar is 14.5038 psi with this being the case the internal atmosphere inside the vessel was lowered by approximately 3 atmospheres.
I had to dig out my Diary and look up the notes I made at the time so I could make a unit when I returned home.
I hope this makes things clear for you all. I will now take my aching head for a sleep and to help things along a glass of Bison Grass Vodka should work just fine.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.