Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Kid, it's a parts gun.

You could get a barrel set from Italy I suppose, but there is no easy way to fix the one you have.

Out there doing it best I can.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Builder, great Idea. Any other suggestions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had long discussions with Hugh Lomas , who has retired, about the whole process of sleeving. He didn't know of anyone other than Mr. Merrington, in the states, that does it at this time. Finding suitable tubes is the biggest obstacle in the process right now. The actual machining isn't that difficult. The hard part is dealing with all the different dimensions of all the different parts, that have to be measured and adjustments made for every barrel of every gun worked on. Also if you want the seam TIGed there are heat treat issues that have to be dealt with. Then you need tooling for each gauge for chambering, rim cutting, and choke work. All these obstacles could be mitigated to a degree by volume, but without an economical source of tubes, it is becoming a moot point. The last tube importer had to order a minimum of 30 tubes of one set of dimensions. Say 12 gauge, 30 inch, .729 bore full choke. If a smith has to have to find 14 more jobs for everyone he takes in just touse up one order. That's why it's hard to get someone set up to do sleeving. As much as we love these guns, if a gunsmith has to decide between fried bologna sandwiches, or driving a forklift and feeding his family hamburgers, which would you choose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Briley was sleeving a few years ago. I have a friend who shoots two 34" Parkers, both of which were sleeved to that length by Briley. They may have stopped, though, IDK.

What scares me the most is having a double sleeved, blued and returned, then finding out at the plate that it was not regulated before soldering it all up. Lots of money spent ..........for absolutely nothing. I would not commission a sleeving job without a guarantee of regulation.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/09/18 05:19 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an A&F Z-R extractor in 28 Ga with 26" barrels. It is a '60's import and basically unused. I purchased it to be used by my kids learning to shoot and hunt. I'm Trying to start them off correctly! Sorry my barrels are not for sale smile. I post to encourage you to sleeve them to 29 or 30" if you do go forward. The gun to me is very whippy with 26's. Also with the longer barrels, it will be rarer and more desirable in today's market. It is very hard to find a 28ga with anything longer than 26" barrels.

Owen
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This is a Lusso w/ ejectors I want to sleeve it just trying to find a source. Aaron was going to do it. But drug my feet getting it to him. Now hes closed his book for a TBD time. Im willing to let someone do it who likes a challenge etc. Like stated above its a parts gun until its repaired or replaced. If I could get a set of barrels out of italy I would be game. Im open to options here. So I ask again in all of the U.S. kirk and aaron are the only two that can sleeve a shotgun?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I will try and reach out to Barclay, and send it to europe. Id also be open to someone laser weldi g it. Its not a big whole. Im a CWI ill stamp a release of liability ig someone with a lasrr wrlder would wanna tackle it. Like I said people im i it for 100$ I gotta try something.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

My gat ass fingers really struggle typing on the phone. I apologize for the many typos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the barrels monobloc, deovetail or chopper lump?

Monoboloc is the easiest and tubes can be had from Effebi for a reasonable cost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aaron Little did a one barrel sleeve on a Specialty grade Elsie that I bought years ago with a blown out right barrel. Wonderful job!...Geo

Thirty-two inch barrels and he was able to save all the barrel engraving and lettering on the sleeved barrel. He also re-used both original top and bottom ribs.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 02/10/18 08:16 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.