April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Am I the only one that thinks this is reactionary to Rigby dominating the modern English bolt gun market?

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, it looks like American styling lines. I suppose they're banking on selling the name, but may not be doing the name much of a favor. I think they might have considered it an option as a rough use gun, rather than making claims that it's a new 'best' rifle benchmark and criticize the performance of their previous bolt rifles and likely the clients that purchased them. I've wondered why some of the makers don't offer a discriminating line of 'shot and regulated by' rifles from the trade. I think a bean counter built that rifle, not a gunmaker.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
but may not be doing the name much of a favor. I think they might have considered it an option as a rough use gun, rather than making claims that it's a new 'best' rifle benchmark and criticize the performance of their previous bolt rifles and likely the clients that purchased them

Agree. In this day and age a fine gunmaker would most likely need to subsidise "best" guns with other products, but Purdey already sells a massive collection of these products such as belts, socks, walking canes, china, glasses, pants, shoes, dog pillows and about a million other products. I don't think they should have dropped the classic bolt gun and called this cheapened one the new "best". Same goes for the half-Italian Sporter boxlock with monobloc barrels, and the upcoming O/U Purdey boxlock that will be English made. They are ruining a reputation built over two centuries in my opinion smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

a $25,000 "rough use" gun? Yeah, right.

I don't know what they are looking for, but anyone selling a new rifle for $25K is not talking a language I understand, rough gun, smooth gun, I don't care what you call it.

On the other hand, if they are doing whatever they have to do to prevent their own extinction, then more power to them. I just can't help.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

On the other hand, if they are doing whatever they have to do to prevent their own extinction, then more power to them. I just can't help.

That can actually backfire and lead to that extinction. If for example Rolex began offering secondary lines of plastic watches and ones half built in China, a lot of people would stop buying their top tier watches because the "cachet" of the entire brand is gone.

Why would anyone pay 25,000 GBP ($35,000) for this new free-floating gun when they can buy a similarly accurate J.P. Sauer for $4,000 or a Sako 85 for even less? These historical names are now virtually transforming from "best" makers into manufacturers who offer top grade and lower grade lines, just like Beretta or Browning. As these best makers continue to kill whatever mystique and romance associated with the perceivable exclusivity of the brand, there will be no reasons left not to choose a Beretta or a Browning instead.

I think this is what happens when a company is owned by a luxury goods conglomerate whose board knows nothing about gunmaking smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

A $10,000 Mauser Rigby seems to be a good deal now. However, my choice for elegant hunting is an early Springfield custom by a known maker. I just don't understand the Purdey.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The scope rings look much too high to me. Little or no chance of any check weld for deliberate shooting. Also would be completely unsuited for mounting quickly for shots at moving game.

Certainly will not mount like a Purdey shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im not much of a rifle guy, and really I dont give a hoot, but free floating makes a more accurate rifle. If a rifle isnt accurate, Id say its a POS. Accuracy is all that matters in a rifle, at least to me. Looks like Purdey is trying to make a very accurate rifle, at least thats what I see. It says Purdey on it, hence the price. This gun will always have value, because of the name, even though no better than a lesser name.

Last edited by buzz; 02/09/18 10:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own Purdeys and I also own rifles that cost less than $300 and shoot less than one inch groups at 100 yards. I don't need to spend $25,000 on a rifle that shoots a one inch group at 100 yards. I will buy Purdeys for different reasons than group size.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Give me an American made custom gun - everything you can wish for and ACCURATE. Also costs less than 1/2 what the Purdey costs and is a better rifle.

They do make really fine shotguns.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.