April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (JDH, fullandfuller, Stanton Hillis, Rick W, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld), 407 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,797
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I abhor the looks of a swamped rib. It just looks like crap to my eye, and aesthetics are important to me. On a sxs, I want a rib that does not fall below the height of the barrels until it reaches the muzzles. Here is a beautiful example of a level flat-topped pigeon rib that I like immensely:
https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/westley...on-gun-12-gauge
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I purchased my first "best" gun, a Lucchini, with a level, file cut rib. I thought it was the best rib option available after studying several best gun books. I couldn't shoot it worth a flip. I have no idea if it was the rib or the gun or me (I had the stock altered to fit me exactly) but in the end I consigned the gun and moved on. Coincidently, I am a big fan of the Boss "stub rib" on an O/U. Aside than that, I seem to shoot a swamped rib best on my hunting adventures. A file cut rib introduces a hard edge to the one-hand carry proposition (especially on an O/U) which to me is a detriment careening about the mountains.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
I have no idea if it was the rib or the gun or me

It wasn't the rib. Tell us more about how the gun was spec'd out otherwise: straight or pistol grip, large or small forend, barrel length, balance point, weight, gauge, dimensions, pad, checkered butt, etc.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The offending weapon sported an English grip, beavertail forend, 27 1/2", balance slightly behind hinge, 12 bore, 15 3/8ths LOP, checkered butt, chokes originally F/XF, I opened to tight skeet, Modified and shot maybe 10 rounds of clays, but could always do better with my other guns. Maybe it was mental, but that rib is my scapegoat!

Owen
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of you old farts that went through basic in the late 60's may have been instructed in basic marksmanship with Daisy BB guns using Lucky McDaniel's Quick Kill technique of focusing on the target and looking over the barrel to hit the thrown target which was made progressively smaller until one could hit a bb with a bb. I had the serendipitous experience of meeting Lucky McDaniel's daughter at a party 40 years after basic who was shocked that I was able to talk about her dad knowing who he was and what he did and having been trained in the technique. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took that shooting course a few years ago from the guy who learned it from Lucky McDaniel and is still teaching it at Ft. Benning.

I was happy at aspirin tablets, but when I began hitting tossed BBs with a BB gun I could hear the voice of Obi Wan Kenobi deep in my brain saying: "use the force George, use the force" ...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, my hearing is all shot to hell and I'm glad you heard "force". I was wondering what he meant about "farce". Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Man I envy you guys! At least in terms of the shooting instruction you received. I went through USCG boot camp in Cape May, NJ a few years later--1973--and all we got to do was learn to carefully sight M16s and 45s and slowly squeeze the trigger. If I remember right, we practiced with M16s, but the regular company guys were issued M1s to march with and high-port around the quad. I missed that fun by parlaying 8 years of piano lessons into a gig playing glockenspiel (honest) in the Cape May TRACEN band.

Last edited by billwolfe; 01/29/18 11:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
Ribless, as in Alex Martin. Lighter up front, no hidden rust havens.

.....or less expensive when found no bottom rib variety. I think the French made them.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Some of you old farts that went through basic in the late 60's may have been instructed in basic marksmanship with Daisy BB guns using Lucky McDaniel's Quick Kill technique of focusing on the target and looking over the barrel to hit the thrown target which was made progressively smaller until one could hit a bb with a bb. I had the serendipitous experience of meeting Lucky McDaniel's daughter at a party 40 years after basic who was shocked that I was able to talk about her dad knowing who he was and what he did and having been trained in the technique. Gil

Art thou implying that thy bb gun hadst no raised rib? By chance was it French?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/30/18 08:23 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.