April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, earlyriser, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 1,262 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may not see it but your body (or your mind, take your pick) does. You may concentrate so hard that you only see the target but you are somehow aware where it is. I was trying to adjust an Ithaca pump gun that was shooting high and Kutter, a member of this board suggested a larger front bead. It moved the point of aim down and I can assure you I don't see the bead. I now really enjoy that gun. There is a discussion of this in the do it yourself section.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash

Damn Bob....Ill take a full rack, baked potato, ice cold brew...

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ribs smibs,

The question that has never been adequately answered to this day is, What is the premium cut, Prime Rib or Filet Mignon?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
I believe that we see more of our rib & barrels than some would like to admit. It is all a part of the sight picture.
Looking at the target you catch in your peripheral vision a picture of where your rib & bead is in relation to the target.
This lets you know when to trigger the shot.

+1

Originally Posted By: builder
You may not see it but your body (or your mind, take your pick) does. You may concentrate so hard that you only see the target but you are somehow aware where it is.

and another +1

So many confuse the term "seeing the rib/bead" with "looking at the rib/bead". You absolutely see it, if you have the gun mounted and it fits you properly. But, you NEVER look at it again, after picking up the bird and locking your eyes on it .................be it a live or an inanimate bird. To look at the bead/muzzles during the shot process guarantees you will shoot behind it.

This from an old dedicated iron sight rifle and pistol competitor of many years, which demands a hard focus on the front sight, with the target and rear sight a blur ............... "it don't come easy, you know it don't come easy". My apologies to Mr. Lennon.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't shoot a pistol worth a damn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

>>>Those who truly want to improve their shooting never stop questioning the status quo. They try new things, and keep records to separate what really has helped from what didn't.<<<

Indeed. I've read about this question on several threads on here lately, and I guess I am unusual in how I expect a shotgun to shoot. I agree that your unconscious mind must have some point of reference while you focus on the target with your conscious mind, but I've always thought that point should be the front bead. I want my eye looking down the rib and not seeing it at all, and if I have to see the rib to hit the target, then in my opinion the gun shoots low and is flawed. It would be similar to shooting a handgun with iron sights and having to raise or lower the front sight in relation to the rear sight - you can do it and hit the target, but you will always be estimating your sight picture. If I want to be consistent, I need to be able to put the front sight level with the rear sight. When shooting a shotgun, I want it to shoot parallel to the rib. A 60/40 pattern is fine, but if you have to see part of the rib to hit the target then my way of thinking is that the gun is shooting low.

When I was growing up, two of my favorite pastimes were playing basketball and shooting a shotgun. I decided when I was pretty young that everything needed to be square and parallel for any precision task. In basketball, shooting free throws are a great example for my way of thinking. I learned to shoot them by putting both feet up to the line, thus ensuring that my body was square to the basket. I made sure that my nose was lined up with the center net holder on the rim and focused my eyes on that spot. I shot with my right hand in the center of my body, directly behind the ball. With everything straight, then it was just a matter of developing the muscle memory to repeat the same action every time. I could make 25 in a row when I was in the ninth grade, and can still shoot them pretty well at age 64. Most college players today put one foot behind the other and struggle to make 70%. If your feet aren't square to the basket, then its always an estimate and its impossible to be consistent.

With apologies to Ben Hogan, I used the same ideas in playing golf. Hogan advocated placing his feet parallel to the imaginary line to the hole, but only when using his 5 iron. He opened his stance with shorter clubs and used a very closed stance with his driver. I have to admit he was a fairly decent golfer, smile but Hogan practiced for many hours every day. I decided I was much better off to just keep everything parallel all the time. It isn't hard to get parallel and square, but its difficult to be constantly estimating angles and still be consistent in any task.

Carrying those principles to the shotgun, I've always wanted the rib of the gun parallel to the imaginary line to the target. If the gun fits me properly, I can't see the rib when I mount it, but I can see the bead. Certainly, I can't focus on the bead and hit anything, but no doubt I am aware of it.

I have a couple of guns that require me to see the rib in order to hit the target. In my opinion, both guns shoot low and are flawed. I can still shoot them by relying on my face contacting the comb and having my eye and the front bead parallel to the imaginary line to the target, but if I can see the rib then its always an estimate to determine just how much rib I need to see. No doubt, lots of practice with the gun will help, but why not have the rib parallel and leave estimating out of it?

This opinion may not be shared by many on the board, and it goes against some of what I have read by sxs writers, but I've found that it works best for me. My Beretta 626 shoots parallel to the rib, and if I had to make a shot to save my life I would choose it.

A good day to all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the best I have ever read on "Defensive" use of a handgun is "Bulls-eyes Don't Shoot Back" written by Colonel Rex Applegate (first director of the OSS) during the WWII era. This was a point shooting method which covered about 80% of all defensive use of a handgun (He gave further instructions for the remaining 20%). All new recruits were trained using a handgun with the sights either removed or taped over so they could not be used. Highly recommended reading.

colonel Rex Applegate

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Join a club buy a thrower and practice with the shotgun you are going to use after patterning it with different loads. It takes time and effort to build that confidence in the gun or guns you're going to use.

Learn the sight picture that your shotgun is presenting and practice till it becomes second nature.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I never pre-mount. Always shoot from low gun. When I try a gun for fit then I look for pull length, cast off, pitch and how my eye aligns with the rib. If it fits, I no longer worry about the rib/bead. To some extent, fit may be adjusted by placement of my leading hand. (Especially when changing from mild weather to winter shooting with al the extra clothing) Once it's good it's good. After that I really try to be concentrating the target not aiming down the rib. Times when a quick snap shot presents itself, a crushing hit is a bit of a surprise. No conscious thought at all just mount, track and pull. Bit of Zen and shooting and do wish I could do that all the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, if you're practicing for hunting always from low gun. Then the fit of a shotgun comes into play.

So you have pattern testing to see what loads your shotgun is throwing and where, which encompasses sight picture plus you have the fit and balance of the gun itself. A lot of factors to consider.

But I'm still inconsistent while hunting even after an enormous amount of weekly practice. A fast ball crossing from right to left, one shot. Next bird went straight out from me and right over the center of the plate and I fired twice and barely hit it with my second shot. Next a slow curve ball from left to right missed both shots. Bad habits die hard regardless of rib construction.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.