May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (redoak, GETTEMANS, Thaine), 634 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,055
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: coosa
To each his own, but I've always thought a sxs shotgun should have 2 triggers.

I used to be a double trigger purist, long time ago. The more I shot, the better I liked single triggers. At this point in time, I have no intentions of ever owning another double trigger sxs or o/u, unless one just falls in my lap. Nothing against double triggers whatsoever, I just think they are overrated.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love double trigger guns. I love single trigger guns. I love shooting doves and ducks with either, and with both.

All the trigger does is make the barrel go bang, and knock the bird out of the sky. As long as it's not over 4 lbs. pull, and it's clean, I'm good with it. I really do believe I could shoot just as good scores with my MX8 if it had double triggers, but I'll never know, because I'll never change it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are times when a double trigger has preference for me over a single select. Choosing between tight and open with a minimum of movement when a turkey pops up in a narrow window is one such instance. To paraphrase Col. Askins's opinion, had the single trigger on a double been invented first, the introduction of a double trigger would have been hailed as an improvement. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I suggest you just shoot it some more, Tyler. That single trigger will become natural to you.

Like John R., I switch back and forth all the time with no conscious thought. It just takes a little shooting to get used to it the first time.

SRH

I agree shoot it more and it is likely you will discover you can switch back and forth between it and double trigger guns without a thought.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
There are times when a double trigger has preference for me over a single select. Choosing between tight and open with a minimum of movement when a turkey pops up in a narrow window is one such instance. To paraphrase Col. Askins's opinion, had the single trigger on a double been invented first, the introduction of a double trigger would have been hailed as an improvement. Gil

Indeed. In virtually any hunting I do, the DT has an advantage over a ST. I just can't work the barrel selector quickly enough to use it very often in the field, but I can select the correct trigger with ease.

And you have proven that it's possible to convert a ST gun to DT, and later sell the gun with the ST assembly included. It seems to me that the OP would only increase the value of his gun if it came with a choice of trigger assemblies. If it were my gun, I would convert it and make sure the original trigger stayed with the gun so that a future owner would have his choice of triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless it was a factory option or factory performed it would lose money. Original from the factory as lettered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tyler,

The easiest effort would be to find an early 21 with double triggers. I have worked on a few throughout the years and they, the early guns, were the best made by Winchester. The ones I saw were field grade guns but had a straight grip with splinter forend, and if I recall, they were extractor guns.

The fit and finish was far better than later guns as it appears the trigger plate and top lever were polished in place. The later guns appear as though the parts were polished separately thus rounding the fitting edges.

Hope this helps.

Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Appreciate all the info. Just back from Beaver Dam and.it was a wonderful time.

1. Kept trying to fine back trigger for second shot. I will take a different gun next time.
2. Had one of the early double trigger non ejectors but had little use for it so got rid of it a few years back.
3. May look into the double trigger conversion and save the single parts. Will no longer "letter" anyway as I swapped recoil pad and had chokes opened to I/C MOD in hopes of shooting steel shot years ago.
4 BTW, Mike Boyd discussed with me his thoughts about adding thin wall chokes to HIS 3" 21

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you had a good trip, Tyler. I've hunted there with Mike and his son, Lamar. Very special place and very fine people.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tyler, did you kill any ducks?
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 01/25/18 11:06 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.