May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Canvasback13, Ken Georgi, 1 invisible), 345 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,927
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have W.C. Green patent number 2716 of Sept. 3 1868. The British Shotgun, Volume One 1850 to 1870 by I. M. Crudgington and D.J. Baker. page 223. it states that,

"The hammerless gun he designed was cocked and opened by a push forward under lever, which also was the trigger guard. In both actions the lockwork is built on the trigger plate."

Sidelock
Sidelock

This statement aroused my curiosity regarding the price of a Dickson vs other markers:

"...a Dickson Round Action was a premium luxury item."

In 1935, a single Dickson Patent Round Action cost 120. This is according to the Dickson catalog reprinted in Dallas's book.

1938, Abercrombie & Fitch quoted the following prices (all F.O.B. London):

-Boss Hammerless Ejector Over Under: 157-10-0
-H&H Model de Luxe: 157-10-0
-Purdey Hammerless Ejector "Featherweight" 12 gauge: 136-10-0
-Woodward Best Quality Double Barrel Gun: 126-0-0
-Churchill Premier Quality Doube Barrel: 120-0-0

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

"When Lord So-and-So wanted a round action built as light in weight as possible, that's what Lord So-and-So got."

This echoes a common misconception about best guns, that they were made for wealthy titled people. The makers' ledgers disprove this notion. The plain Mr's and mid level armed forces ranks far outnumber the nobility. Best guns were affordable back then.

The price list posted above by OWD gives a key. At the time those prices applied a navy captain earned nearly 500 pounds annually, or four times the price of a best. The price of a mid level boxlock was about a quarter of the price of a best sidelock or RA.

There was no collecting or gun hoarding in those days.

A new best today starts at a staggering 38000 unengraved (D. MacKay Brown RA). Interesting that the Royal Navy Captains salary today does not cover a finished best gun, even though modern technology has lowered production costs. Today the price of a mid level boxlock is a stunning 1/50th of a best gun.

Something went wrong somewhere along the line. Personally I see gun hoarding as the main cause.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 01/07/18 06:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One may need to consider the factor of the price of running a business in London versus Edinburgh, too.
Don't forget, officers' commissions in The British military were purchased (and they weren't cheap). Money would get you up the chain of command much faster than ability.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover

This echoes a common misconception about best guns, that they were made for wealthy titled people. The makers' ledgers disprove this notion. The plain Mr's and mid level armed forces ranks far outnumber the nobility. Best guns were affordable back then.

I think you misunderstand British society at that time (early 20th Century). Titled people at that time were suffering a decline in wealth. For many, much of their wealth had come from overseas interests in the so called 'British Empire' - sugar, tea, rubber, guano, cotton, tobacco etc. This had much declined as the 'Empire' had shrunk. At home money had mainly come from either agricultural (much of that in rents) and some from industry, but the industrialists were often 'new' money and not titled. After WW1 this became even more so with agriculture in depression and many former 'Empire' areas of the world being more independent, if not yet totally independent (much of that came after WW2).
There were many, many business people (law, industry, shipping, 'city' (like stockbrokers and banking families) who were wealthy, but not titled. They would often have bought from the 'best' makers, but would appear in the gunmakers books as plain Mr. xxx.
I have read that certain makers tended to have a following amongst certain 'communities' the example springing to mind being Henry Atkin, who seemed to have a larger than usual following from banking families. I have also hear it said that Cogswell and Harrison were popular with the military.
Remember also that in the UK (until the late 20th century) many people who served in the military as officers came from wealthy families and it was common practice to retain the title of the military rank on retirement. Where I live, my fathers generation had several Colonels and Majors (Army) and Admirals, Commanders and Captains (Royal Navy) who had long been out of the armed forces, but retained their title in either retirement, or their civilian lives.

Your comment of prices against income is also very relevant. In real terms, motor vehicles, cameras/photography, radio/television most domestic appliances (washing, dishwashing, cleaning, refrigeration) have decreased markedly in real terms - whereas (in the UK anyway) houses/property, professional services (legal, medical and financial) have increased. 'Best' guns fall firmly into the increased category. Guns overall (mainly imports) much more holding line with incomes.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 01/08/18 04:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could never force myself to purchase a new best gun with earned money. Maybe lottery money or inherited money, if I had any...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I made that kind of money I would have. Take it to South America every year, to Africa, maybe up to Canada and Alaska, to Eastern Europe and it would have the scratches and dings to prove it.

It would be great to open a worn trunk case and pull out a beater Thomas Boss or James Purdey or a John Dickson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I could never force myself to purchase a new best gun with earned money. Maybe lottery money or inherited money, if I had any...Geo

I could never afford a 'best' English new; However I did buy a Beretta SO new - 20 years ago - and that has walked miles with me and shows a fair number of 'use' scars.

I did try to buy (at auction) a 'bar in wood' Dickson round action. These are quite simply the best looking guns I have ever seen - and this example was fully cased with decent original Damascus in nitro proof. It went for considerably more than I could afford (and much more than I paid for my SO new).

IF I had been able to afford a best gun new, I think it would have been a Purdey or Henry Atkin (I like Beesley's patent action), with house extra fine rose and scroll. And most likely I would have bought a used example anyway as I'm mean with money!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Rowe
One may need to consider the factor of the price of running a business in London versus Edinburgh, too.
Don't forget, officers' commissions in The British military were purchased (and they weren't cheap). Money would get you up the chain of command much faster than ability.

Mike, I am afraid your commission purchase remark is dated at best, to dead wrong. The Cardwell Reforms abolished the purchase of commissions in 1871 or so. The Dickson Round Action falls after that.

Your generalities are just too generic.

The British Army has long had a professional officer corps. The Royal Navy set an early positive standard amongst major countries by adopting a system of training and testing officers academically and hands on in order to advance in rank. I think more than 100 years ahead of the Army.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, Michael, I have read about the Cardwell Reforms. But, I believe, things were quite slow to change within the British Army, and perhaps did not really gain real momentum until the Great War decimated the officer corps.
This is a very interesting discussion perhaps sometime.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.