March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heritage has an international clientele, but do not sell as many guns as the auctions that specialize in same. I had a recent experience with them, where a gun was incorrectly described and they did not disclose a non working lock on a hammer gun. You might try Montrose Auction in Georgia. Small auction house that sells guns and are somewhat close to you.

Of all the auction houses that sell a lot of guns, Rock Island seems to get the highest prices. But, if the guns are not graded or in good condition, they will go in a "Regional" sale and be lost in the high quantity sold and bring sub par prices.

James Julia, IMO, is for the super high grade rare guns, that will bring big money. I don't know if that will change with their recent merger with Morphy. Morphy puts out the nicest HARD BOUND catalogs in the industry.

There are other auction houses to choose from, Amouskeag, Little John's and Carol Watson in Ca. To name a few. Check with each to see what fees they charge and how they market.

Good Luck

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, Michael Petrov's fairly famous collection of '03 Springfields was sold by Amoskeag, and I thought they did a good job from my perspective as a buyer.
http://www.amoskeagauction.com/index.php

I corresponded with RIA about a double rifle I used to own. Their response was laughable. I later sold it here at a MUCH better price. They also substantially overestimate condition, and lowball estimates. They have sold some pieces with questionable provenances as well. I would not use RIA, personally.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would contact Poulin Antiques in Fairfield, ME:

http://poulinantiques.com/

They do a good job, attract a lot of buyers, and offer fair rates.

See what they say and just get rid of the guns.

A check in hand is better than all this hassle and wasted time.

Your guns aren't going to get any more valuable.

They are what they are and the market is what it is.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, afraid you're going to have to take what you can get, or just keep them. Only two choices, really. When you've put them out there already and had poor response, going to different auctioneers isn't going to matter enough to bother. Good luck.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

George L.,

My personal belief is that unless your gun(s) are DoubleGun Journal "feature quality," your best point of sale will always be GunBroker or GunsInternational. Because you reach the largest audience by multiple orders of magnitude, and YOU get to control the picture and description quality.

If you want to sell an AA grade Lefever, or some rare and minty Winchester lever gun, then no doubt James Julia's is your best bet. Because they will give the gun the attention it needs and deserves to fetch the best price. But I would NOT send an F grade Lefever or a Fox AE there! Because they are grades of gun that will be overlooked among all the finer stuff at that auction. And that's not a knock on Julia's, but more of an acknowledgement that it's tough to sell a Chevy Camaro in a room full of Ferrari's...and Ferrari shoppers. I've seen quite a few great condition mid grade American doubles sell there for much better prices that on GunBroker...meaning it's a great place to BUY such guns...not sell them.

Just spend the time taking great photos and writing a clear and concise description, and put 'em up on the internet next to all the insane dealer prices and yours will sell.

The other problem with all the auction houses is they tend to be generalists. So if you have some particularly unique make or model that they just can't provide the right 'color' for...you may not find a buyer. Any generalist auctioneer would know how to market an A1 Parker. But fewer would have the knowledge (or inclination, given the smaller auction premium incentive) to carefully market lesser guns.

LEARN to create amazing internet listings, price them fairly, and they WILL sell for decent prices.

- NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

George we always say an auction sets the price that day. Most people want to buy wholesale at an auction. If an item is rare they pay retail plus. Perhaps you have just run into a very soft market with prices which are not what they use to be. It is what it is.

My late mother had a fine China collection which 15 or more years ago would have easily sold for 200-300k plus. She passed away six years ago and prices were down a lot then. They continued going down. I doubt I could get 50k for it. So I'm stuck for now but am watching the prices to see if they start to recover which they should in time. But antiques are very, very soft right now. I'm looking at adding to it out of a friend's estate but am having a real hard time getting the urge to make what most likely will be a 20 year investment at my age. Still what would have sold for 50-60k is being offered for 12-15 and I expect they'd take 10k. Like I said it is not a sellers market in many antique right now.

Many of my guns may be in the same boat. Some up and many down from a few years ago. I could cherry pick them and send them out on consignment which might take years to sell them. I could split them up into groups and send them to two or three auctions. But to get them sold I'd have to accept many prices which would upset me more than I want to admit. So my boys are instructed to do it after my death. You can't disappoint a dead man more, after he's dead. I wish you luck on your sale and maybe the prices will pick up in the next year or two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Montrose in Georgia sells a lot of guns, but they don't seem to know much about about vintage doubles. They very reluctantly pulled a fake Crescent "rebranded" as an LC Smith from an auction after getting a number of calls and emails from concerned hobbyists. Gun later popped up on Gunbroker.

http://members.boardhost.com/lcsmith/msg/1425993586.html

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful suggestions. I plan to contact the auction houses listed above to see what kind of response I receive. I have a few what I consider to be fairly rare guns and a lot of the other kind. I am confident that I can find an acceptable venue to get them sold. I'll just have to keep looking.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nudge
George L.,

My personal belief is that unless your gun(s) are DoubleGun Journal "feature quality," your best point of sale will always be GunBroker or GunsInternational. Because you reach the largest audience by multiple orders of magnitude, and YOU get to control the picture and description quality.

If you want to sell an AA grade Lefever, or some rare and minty Winchester lever gun, then no doubt James Julia's is your best bet. Because they will give the gun the attention it needs and deserves to fetch the best price. But I would NOT send an F grade Lefever or a Fox AE there! Because they are grades of gun that will be overlooked among all the finer stuff at that auction. And that's not a knock on Julia's, but more of an acknowledgement that it's tough to sell a Chevy Camaro in a room full of Ferrari's...and Ferrari shoppers. I've seen quite a few great condition mid grade American doubles sell there for much better prices that on GunBroker...meaning it's a great place to BUY such guns...not sell them.

Just spend the time taking great photos and writing a clear and concise description, and put 'em up on the internet next to all the insane dealer prices and yours will sell.

The other problem with all the auction houses is they tend to be generalists. So if you have some particularly unique make or model that they just can't provide the right 'color' for...you may not find a buyer. Any generalist auctioneer would know how to market an A1 Parker. But fewer would have the knowledge (or inclination, given the smaller auction premium incentive) to carefully market lesser guns.

LEARN to create amazing internet listings, price them fairly, and they WILL sell for decent prices.

- NDG
Best advice so far. Your situation will best be served doing EXACTLY what Nudge has said. I've sold many guns on Gunsinternational, and Deb Powell will gladly put photos from your phone on your ad. I encourage you to do the legwork and time necessary to put up individual guns with good photos and very accurate descriptions. You will come out much better than fooling around with auctions.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ditto, what nudge said...and if you dont want to do it yourself, then consign your guns to someone who has a several year track record of successful internet sales...

Last edited by ed good; 01/04/18 04:02 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.