April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (80dubya, Gerry Addison, LeFusil, Pwog, 1 invisible), 420 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ you may well be right that many of us are near done buying, at least compared to 20 yrs ago. I know I am.

Cant say I mind the advertising in SSM, sort of eye candy. Nor am I that bothered by the articles that are partial adds, eye candy again.

I still subscribe to three magazines in paper form, SSM, DGJ, & Covey Rise. All have pluses and minuses.

Like others here some stay in the wrapper for a while before I read them.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
People always see things through their own lenses.

It's entirely possible that Steve is mistaken, and the rest of you just jumped into a contract negotiation canard without any facts or knowledge.

I wouldn't be so quick to grab the pitchforks and go storming the castle. The marketing reality is that most of you are old, and are done buying.

An aspirational magazine doesn't need you other than as a circulation chit. The magazine needs aspirational readers to serve their advertisers, the very people so many of you seem to despise. You aren't buying, they are.

Steve will either make a new deal or won't. But you will still be old and done buying from their advertisers.

Aging out of a genre is a natural step of life.

Well . . . I'm old enough to be double dipping on both a military pension and Social Security. And I probably SHOULD be done buying . . . but I'm not. and I don't get the sense that many folks here in my age group are done buying either. They may have given up hunting because it doesn't really exist any more where they live, but like one poster above suggests, there's still the target games.

When you get into the doublegun niche, it can rapidly become expensive. One reason we're old is that we--the set chasing after nice vintage American, British, European etc side by sides--have always been the ones willing to spend big bucks (relatively speaking) on guns. That's because we're no longer paying to support children, pay off college loans, etc. Until that happens, the gun buying bug may be there, but the means to do so . . . not so much. Kinda like why everyone you see riding a Harley has gray hair.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/01/18 10:32 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The villagers don't want to hear that they are being played, Colonel. It's nothing personal.

Round up all the readers of your column, get them fired up, sending e-mails, threatening to quit, all that, and then wait for the call to come back. The internet allows the gambit to be played worldwide.

If SSM doesn't play, someone else will, if there's any value seen in it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The magazine racket sounds like a shyte business. First Don Thomas, now Steve. Bullshyte.

Im not done buying. I never was buying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The wonderful photography seems to have taken the place of "substance" ......... the technicana, the how-to-do, hands-on stuff that attracts me. SSM has had some beautiful photographs, but I'm into shooting the guns more than shooting the pics. DGJ is the last bastion, and it is slowly turning into a collector's magazine, more than shooting. I hate to see that, but still enjoy it, four times a year.

It all makes me more grateful that Al Gore invented the internet wink , so that at least the exchange of information can take place.

As I posted on another forum, I doubt that SSM will miss me. But, I won't lose any sleep over that.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some real nice "...the how-to-do, hand-on..." books. Double Guns & Custom Gunsmithing, Fine Gunmaking Double Shotguns, Gunfitting The Quest for Perfection, The Shotgun A shooting Instructor's Handbook,........ I like those and am constantly looking for more to add to my library.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Larry Brown quote] Well . . . I'm old enough to be double dipping on both a military pension and Social Security. And I probably SHOULD be done buying . . . but I'm not. and I don't get the sense that many folks here in my age group are done buying either. They may have given up hunting because it doesn't really exist any more where they live, but like one poster above suggests, there's still the target games.

When you get into the doublegun niche, it can rapidly become expensive. One reason we're old is that we--the set chasing after nice vintage American, British, European etc side by sides--have always been the ones willing to spend big bucks (relatively speaking) on guns. That's because we're no longer paying to support children, pay off college loans, etc. Until that happens, the gun buying bug may be there, but the means to do so . . . not so much. Kinda like why everyone you see riding a Harley has gray hair. [/quote]

Larry, I wouldn't equate your endless gun trading to the acquisition and use of the soft goods advertised (and decried here) in the magazine. Or the destination pieces either for that matter. 99% of the people moved to purchase are decades younger than you. Most people that buy a moderately expensive shotgun are one and done.

It's just a stage of life. You don't need more stuff, but the magazine needs to sell stuff.
My only axe to grind is the vitriol old men seem always at the ready to spew at their replacements.

I've come to enjoy actually visiting the destinations advertised there. I don't decry them.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
There are some real nice "...the how-to-do, hand-on..." books....

Seems like you would be really easy to satisfy with a magazine subscription, nothing like getting the same issue all year long, huh. And, the corporate folks just love it when they keep profiting off of you for a book that you bought ten years ago, eh. Have a happy non corporate, non profit new year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
There are some real nice "...the how-to-do, hand-on..." books....

Seems like you would be really easy to satisfy with a magazine subscription, nothing like getting the same issue all year long, huh. And, the corporate folks just love it when they keep profiting off of you for a book that you bought ten years ago, eh. Have a happy non corporate, non profit new year.

Nope, I'm very discriminating magazine reader. The only one I read on regular basis is the Virginia Sportsman.
When you buy book like Fine Gunmaking Double Shotguns you no longer have to look at double gun magazines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
People always see things through their own lenses.

It's entirely possible that Steve is mistaken, and the rest of you just jumped into a contract negotiation canard without any facts or knowledge.

I wouldn't be so quick to grab the pitchforks and go storming the castle. The marketing reality is that most of you are old, and are done buying.

An aspirational magazine doesn't need you other than as a circulation chit. The magazine needs aspirational readers to serve their advertisers, the very people so many of you seem to despise. You aren't buying, they are.

Steve will either make a new deal or won't. But you will still be old and done buying from their advertisers.

Aging out of a genre is a natural step of life.

Now there's a simple truth.

And I notice that you all righteously condemn the "canned hunts" sorta thing which to me is strange since the Holy Driven Birds (phez and grouse alike) have been nothing but canned hunts since Day One. And Purdey et al made their fortunes catering to those very shooters.
And, BTW, the Limeys still dress like that at driven shoots too so the make-believers ain't far wrong hahaha
But the gun mags still sux goat balls

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 01/01/18 12:58 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.