Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's nice to see such nice jacket used for field sports much as it is done in Great Britain. In USA such jackets are often worn to Church as Sundays best. We also have many Fabrique en Chine Patagonia jacket wearers. My friend told me it's because the rich go to Southern Argentina to test their outdoor endurance and not to Northern Yukon or Northern Territories where they can be eaten by wolves, or trampled to death by angry moose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
a model 12 will take anything except steel to my understanding

A guy I used to hunt ducks with insists on using a Mod 12 in 16 gauge. He used to shoot only bismuth, but switched to steel a few years ago. No problems. Key is to match the load to the choke.

A box of Winchester Expert steel #4s is less than $6 at Walmart. I would think that would be a big incentive for using it instead of Bismuth or $ungsten $matrix or $lassic $oubles HeviShot. The steel ammo at Walmart is only for 12ga or 20ga so those with 16ga shotguns are screwed out of the deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's not a nice jacket. I bought an inexpensive "barn coat" that had been half priced a couple of times at a department store, melted three cans of Browning's wax treatment (can't remember the name of the stuff) in a pan on the stove, and treated the jacket myself, making it into a waxed cotton coat on the cheap.

I bought my wife a Barbour many years ago, but I wouldn't spend the money on one for myself.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No steel. Not for geese anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walmart sells federal steel for 16 gauge. It works and its reasonably priced. The Winchester X-pert steel is a junk load. Take the shell apart and look at how its built. Complete junk. The cheap Remington Sportsman load is FAR superior. Its built like a target load, perfect round high quality shot, with sealed primer and sealed crimp. The federal load is well built too.

The Model 12 can handle steel all day long, with the right choke. The Model 12 is a brute with more than adequate strength. It can handle rifle type pressures, so can the 1897. I have no issues with modern steel shot, other than its all extremely speedy and hot. I use a heavy Remmy 3200 and it can even get unpleasant when shooting steel out of that tank. I much prefer the use of a gas gun when duck hunting/waterfowling, much more pleasant when the shooting is hot and heavy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.