May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (AZMike, susjwp, 1 invisible), 686 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,059
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Interesting insight Bushveld...thank you

I actually do not know what the price of the ZP49 shotgun would have been in the iron curtain countries during the after WWII period. Considering how cheap that FN was making the Browning design A5 then and the retail cost of the A5 in the USA and the low standard of living in these iron curtain countries in the 1950's the ZP49 may have been less than US$25.00. I remember working at my first after school job in the late 1950's for US$0.50 per hour.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find myself in need of another 16g.
A very good box lock Bayard or a ZP Brno are the choices available to me now.
I have handled neither one of them.
The Brno is 2x the $ of the Bayard.
Is the Brno the choice ?
Om

moses #498908 12/23/17 10:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Is the Brno the choice ?
Om

Condition is everything in such a choice. I know that is not the answer you want but it is truthful. However, in general knowing no more than your question it is likely that the Bayard is the choice by a wide margin.

moses #498942 12/23/17 03:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the Brno the choice ?
Om

Based on couple examples examined I would pick Pieper over ZP Brno. Basic Pieper BLNE with Baynard steel barrels, extra sliding top locking, blackened frame and bolt through the stock had plain but finely checkered stock ending in horn butt plate. I will admit if ZP was made in 1950s the choice would be much, much more difficult.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for that opinion Jag & especially bushveld.
After the report from bushveld on the previous page he still put the Bayard ahead of the ZP Brno.
Both guns appear to have been used very little, probably due to the price & availability of the ammo here in Australia.

The Bayard certainly has more class & looks like art rather than a farm tool.
I think the Bayard weighs less than the Brno ZP. That & its very good bores & overall condition put the Bayard ahead if it is 16/70.
O.M

Last edited by moses; 12/23/17 06:04 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my humble opinion, it depends very much on the grade of the Pieper. I've seen a few that were very roughly finished. Then again others have been very nice...It appears the large manufacturing enterprise of Pieper made guns to cover a wide spectrum of price points; but again that has just been my observation. If all things are equal, condition, finish, weight, features, etc, I would sure choose the gun with the better fit. I think that would make all the difference in your enjoyment of the gun. "Pretty" doesn't always break clays or knock down birds, even if it is pleasing to the eye. If its a gun you plan on using rather than collecting, fit would be my personal deciding factor.

Your mileage may vary...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree. The fit is not a thing I can check with gun in hand as they are internet purchases.
I can bend if need be.
O.M

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good luck Moses....

If they're both nice condition guns and the prices are good, I think you'll be happy either way. Get lots of pictures!

moses #499048 12/24/17 09:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

After the report from bushveld on the previous page he still put the Bayard ahead of the ZP Brno.
Both guns appear to have been used very little, probably due to the price & availability of the ammo here in Australia.

I think the Bayard weighs less than the Brno ZP. That & its very good bores & overall condition put the Bayard ahead if it is 16/70.
O.M

My recommendation was a matter of logic: You stated that the Brno is 2 times the price of the Bayard. Further, you stated the Bayard is hand engraved. All this equals a wide margin of difference.

Merry Christmas and good shooting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bushveld

O.M

My recommendation was a matter of logic: You stated that the Brno is 2 times the price of the Bayard. Further, you stated the Bayard is hand engraved. All this equals a wide margin of difference.

Merry Christmas and good shooting.

I certainly agree with this...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.