March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#497829 12/12/17 04:26 PM
49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WW Greener,68 Haymarket,London sxs 28 inch rifled barrels and 2-leaf express site.
Barrels slug at .785, rifling is very shallow, I have vintage Kynock brass that fits this gun,(thanks Terry).
I want to load modern powder with round balls.
I am looking for suggestions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice example. Have you seen Sherman Bell's or Ross Seyfried's writings on loading for ball & shot? If not, I can look that up for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently read some things about loading for the bore rifles in a DGJ article by Ross Seyfreid from the Winter 1999 issue. He said the majority were built for use with round balls and paper cases. He felt it was most important to do a chamber cast to get chamber and throat dimensions, and to check the rate of twist of the rifling to determine the most suitable projectile, and whether it was built for paper or thin brass cases. He seemed to think black powder was the one and only propellant to use in the bore rifles.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks I will check my back issues.
This gun has about 1 in 52" rate of twist in both barrels, it only weighs 9 1/2 lbs., which I am told is light for a bore rifle. What I want to do is order a ball mold but I'm not sure what diameter I need. Should the ball be the same dia as the bore .785? and be loaded as such, or should it be be a patched ball say about .755 with a .015 lubed patch, or I have RP10 plastic wads that I can use or something else?.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I would do a cast of the chamber and a short section of the bore. See what the lands and groove measure. I would start with a ball of groove diameter. Patched balls were not the norm for bore rifles but I did get an odd ball bore rifle to shoot well using them. Sometimes you just need to keep fiddling with them. I like black as a propellant as well and many folks have found that Olde Eynsford

http://www.goexpowder.com/olde-eynsford.html

to be an excellent substitute for the old Curtis and Harvey #6 powder. Good luck with it, looks like a fun gun.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would sure try a hollow base mould first

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-1-Cavity-Shot-shell-Foster-Slug-Bullet-Mold-For-12-Gauge-475-Grain-Slug-Md/381953982172?epid=2254296811&hash=item58ee3b3edc:g:8bAAAOSwS35Zcgyt

For your smokeless load, what pressure are you wanting?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/15/17 05:09 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you do anything, make a chamber cast. This will tell you if it's a paper or thin brass case chamber. This will determine ball size, i.e. what will fit in the correct case.

If the ball is a few thou undersize for the bore, don't worry about it. 1 in 15 to 20 tin/lead will bump up with black powder.

That gun may very well be a light charge one, maybe 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 drams. Only shooting it will tell.

Make sure you wad it tight, and have adequate lubrication.

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm almost ready for my first test run, I ended up ordering a ball mold of .775 dia, I cast some balls out of straight wheel weight lead for a start, hopefully they are soft enough to bump up,the ball goes though the right barrel with just a little push from a wooden dowel, the left barrel is not as tight. I have old never fired Kynoch thin wall brass that fits the chambers perfectly. There is a bit of an issue with a primer that will fit properly, I have settled on a small magnum pistol that fits snugly but is not deep enough for the pocket. When I dry fire them they push down into the pocket, I don't know if this will cause any problems.
The first test loads are 2 1/2 drams of 2F Goex black powder (all I can find where I live), 1 bottle cap shaped over powder card (harvested from a 8ga industrial shells), 2- 1/2 inch fiber wads, 1 of which is lubed, then a plain flat nitro card and a Ballistic Products plastic 10 ga gas seal for the ball to sit on then a little bit of COW to stabilize the ball ,then the whole thing is sealed with waterglass glue.
Any thought or comments?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrels say 11B 12M - So they should be slightly choked?

.751 in the bore and .729 at the muzzle, just might help with finding a ball size that works?

Be interesting to stick a micrometer in it and see what it says.

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Demonwolf444; I believe this gun has had lot of would be gunsmith attentions over the years, I think .777 would be pretty close as most of the choke has been removed.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.