April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, NCTarheel, R. Glenz, bushveld, battle, 1 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
devrep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looked at this yesterday, appears to be field grade. Not in the best shape, top lever spring broken or disconnected, wood ill fitting at inletting around top of receiver, some screws messed up. Barrels in great shape and tight on hinge. Any idea of age and value? Serial #522.

Last edited by devrep; 07/25/07 02:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll take a stab at the age. Circa 1892. LINDNER !!!!!! removed the crown from the crossed pistols in 1891 due to the new German laws. About a year was given for the dust to settle before he had a stamp that had the pistols and HAL over on that same stamp. During that time, he used two separate stamps. The pistols and then another with HAL.
Looking at these pics, I think I see that the barrel stamps are not duplicates.
Ken Georgi will be along to set me straight.LOL
As to value---few hundreds toward the low end. I would be interested as a parts gun or might stretch to restore it out of love. It is a very low grade and never will command much.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty close John

I would estimate the date of production of this gun at 1895 based on the serial number, where it falls amongst other Lindner-Dalys in the database, and the features of the gun. The gun is a model 155. The model 155 was one of those Daly models that only exisited for only a few years. The model 155 featured a crossbolt (vice dollshead) and ejectors. The model 155 retailed for $185 in 1895 (!) The model 155 later became the model 185.

Given the poor condition and corrosion (but assuming the barrels are truly OK) I would say the value of the gun is in the $500 - $750 range - this is an ejector Lindner afterall. The problem is you will have to sink big bucks into the gun to make it right. I could hear the cash register ring as I mentally tallied the list of items that would be needed to put it right (or at least how I would want it.)

Good luck,
Ken

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Devrep,
if you pass on the old girl, could you forward the info along to me? I'm looking for a nice sxs project to build up for myself.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to play the devils advocate here and propose the following:
From what I've read so far the primary mechicanical problem is the top lever spring. If there aren't other broken parts, and the gun is still on face, and the barrels in usable condition as stated and the stock doesn't have to be replaced why not do the following:
Make the mechanical repairs including fixing the buggered screws and do a surface restoration which would consist primarily of rust removal and perhaps a stock cleanup. Then use the gun as is. I agree it's a low grade but it's certainly well made if it cost $185 back then. It certainly wouldn't be a beauty queen but you'd have a 100 + year old original gun that's in shooting condition.
Just my thoughts.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope the "guts" don't look like those butt screws. The price of $185 in 1895 is staggering. No wonder they imported and sold so few of them. Man, nearly 30 years later Fox XE cost $185, and better looking gun too!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister until I shot an original Lindner I didn't understand either. Nothing is as smooth operating. If the guts aren't rust pitted this old gun would feel better than a swiss watch beyond any Fox ever built.

Is there a bulge in the left barrel just above the D in Daly or is that a photo problem?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it, bulge and all. We haven't really seen the "bad inletting at the top tang" that would be a bad thing if it were really bad. Ken is right about what you should probably be paying for it, but it isn't an impossible or expensive restoration to shooting condition as I see it. Is that a SD&G buttplate, I can't tell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Across the board AH Fox guns cause more excitement than Charles Daly Lindners. Perhaps reason enough for most!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to me that the fitting of that Linder's trigger plate and the sculpting of those breech balls took more work then went into an entire XE-Grade Ansley H. Fox!! And, I've been a Fox guy for 44 years.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.