March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody have experience with the Bob Allen Absorb-A-Coil Harness in a hunting situation? I have a rotator cuff injury and even with light loads in a gas 20, my shoulder joint gets sore, and that can't be helping things any. I'm thinking I could wear it over a T-shirt and under my bird vest so that it's not in the way. The Browning Reactar pad seems less than ideal because I'd need a shirt or a vest with a pocket for the pad. I'll have surgery eventually, but it will be a while.

http://www.gamaliel.com/boballenrecoilpads/bob_allen_absorb_a_coil_harness_shotgun.asp

Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement,
I've had shoulder surgery myself, so I can understand your problem. I use the Browning pads and they work good for me, as my shooting shirts and vest have the pockets in them. I've seen the Bob Allen ones at my local range and the guys that use them seem to like them. Take my word for it and get the repair on your shoulder soon, as it will only get worse with a possibly poor surgery outcome. I waited until mine was nearly totally gone, and now even after the surgical repair I find it to be much weaker in spite of constant physical therapy. I just picked up a Churchill 2 1/2 in. chambered featherwieght to make my life easier, so I told my wife......
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 12/13/17 10:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Past. It looks the same.
It's handy for shooting pre-mounted, or rifle stuff.
But, they are snaggy when shooting low gun, because the pad changes the shape of your shoulder pocket.
They take up about 1/2" of LOP when worn.
Handy for short, vintage guns.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hear you. Mine is 80% torn and doc says if I tear the rest of it he may not be able to fix it. I have stuff to do, so I'm putting off the surgery because it's a 6-8 month recovery. I just got a pair of Win SX3 gas autos in 12 and 20 so that I could still hunt a little. Told my wife they were medical expenses. She's not buying it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yea, it's a hard sell sometimes but we plead our case nonetheless. Take it easy on the shoulder to retain as much of it's integrity as you can, and best of luck with your surgery.
Still, I see a nice lightweight double in your future.
I find the Browning pad's thinner profile when fit into the shirt's pocket to not impede my gun mount in any way. It really does soothe the recoil as I typically shoot 1 oz. loads @ 1180 fps.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 12/13/17 11:15 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
I find the Browning pad's thinner profile when fit into the shirt's pocket to not impede my gun mount in any way. It really does soothe the recoil.

My concern about the Browning pad is that I'd have to wear a Reactar shirt or vest, but with the Bob Allen thingy, I could wear it for everything from doves to pheasants to ducks, over a T-shirt or under a heavy jacket. Bob Allen seems more versatile?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen the Bob Allen ones worn with the included strap, and they did work well. As CZ said, they are a bit thicker though. I believe that the Reactor pads come with a mesh pocket that can be sewn into a garment. I think if you were to put the thicker Bob Allen one underneath something with a thicker or more firm fabric, you gun mount wouldn't suffer at all. You would only have to contend with a longer lenght of pull for you mount.
I hope this helps,
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a company that sells a short sleeved "t-shirt" that you can wear under your outer clothes that has a pocket sewed into it for their proprietary recoil pad. The unique thing about this pad is that when you receive it you go through a procedure that softens it, then you slip it into the shirt and mount your gun to the exact spot that you place it on your shoulder when shooting, then hold it there for a minute or two. It molds itself to the curvatures of your shoulder and supposedly becomes much more comfortable.

I bought one before I went to Argentina the first time, thinking it would be nice to have there. Within the first five minutes of shooting I pulled it out of the shirt and put it in my pocket, never to return. I just don't like the feel of the gun mounted against a pad like that, or the Reactar. Sorry, I cannot remember the name of it to save my life.

Your condition may demand something of the sort, and I hope it works out for you. I also hope you get the shoulder repaired and have a full recovery. I'd hate to know you had to shoot with one of those pads all the time. It would take a lot of getting used to, for me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protectiv...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Stan, Evoshield. I like it and use it. Gil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.