April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (smlekid, Kolar Dickson, canvasback, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,252 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the PAST model which I feel certain is the same thing. I am sure you are aware that the recoil reduction, for the most part, is the result of spreading the impact over a larger area of your shoulder rather than just behind the butt pad. The shoulder is still going to move and actually perhaps more with the "asorb a coil". I tell you this as a caution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have rotator cuff problems again but at 77 I don't want more surgery. I can still shoot skeet because of an excersize that a friend showed me. I simply take a 10 pound weight , bend over and make 20 6 inch circles to the left and the same to the right. Then I do it again making 30 inch circles in both directions. I shot roughly 8000 targets last year pain free because of this 5 minute excersize. I shoot a K-80 , not a gas gun.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had both shoulder worked on several times but no full reconstruction due to rotator cuff being completely gone. It is coming I'm afraid. Hoping to put it off another few years. Anyways I have delayed both surgeries for several years by doing a series of physical therapy exercises to build up strength and range of motion in both shoulders. When I had the last shoulder worked on to reattach a ligament, clean up a minor cartilage issue and remove three bone spurs the first day of physical therapy I had more range of motion and strength than the P-therapist targets for completion of treatment after several weeks. My Physical therapy was nothing and I was done in just a few visits. They of course wanted more sessions for the insurance money but admitted I did not need them.

Do your homework in advance and the physical therapy is nothing, let those muscles grow weak and let that joint loose your range of motion and it is merry hell trying to get it back. You don't need to lift big weights either, it is smaller weights, stretching, range of motion and repetitions to make the joint stronger. And yes it hurts like hell sometimes but man candy, ibuprofen, takes care of that and the improvement will amaze you. Not saying you can rebuild your own shoulder this way but a lot of the problems seem to be reduced and if you get to a livable situation you can delay surgery for a time.

You can see a physical therapist to get exercise program put together to make your shoulder better. Most insurance companies want you to try that before surgery anyways as one of their classic delaying tactics, so make it work for you.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the tips. I don't think the insurance is going to be a problem because we have the MRI to confirm the tear. And I'm on MediCare with a supp plan, so they expect old farts to have shoulder problems. I am pretty active and still using the arm, but have learned to isolate the shoulder joint and only lift things close to my body, mostly forearm lifts on that side. Last week I carried 1100 pounds of limestone up the stairs in 50 pound chunks (remodeling project) and I was a little stiff the next day. So, still functional but limited duty. I have started shooting featherlite target loads from NobelSport and Clever in my 20s, and they work well on doves but don't cycle the gas gun reliably. I'm looking for some sort of pad so that I can go back to O/Us and SxSs for doves and quail, and save the gas guns for pheasants and ducks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Eveo shield for volume shooting and test firing heavy recoil guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Thanks for the tips. I don't think the insurance is going to be a problem because we have the MRI to confirm the tear. And I'm on MediCare with a supp plan, so they expect old farts to have shoulder problems. I am pretty active and still using the arm, but have learned to isolate the shoulder joint and only lift things close to my body, mostly forearm lifts on that side. Last week I carried 1100 pounds of limestone up the stairs in 50 pound chunks (remodeling project) and I was a little stiff the next day. So, still functional but limited duty. I have started shooting featherlite target loads from NobelSport and Clever in my 20s, and they work well on doves but don't cycle the gas gun reliably. I'm looking for some sort of pad so that I can go back to O/Us and SxSs for doves and quail, and save the gas guns for pheasants and ducks.

I have a PAST that you can have for the mailing. I can prolly cram it in a $7 priority box. The thing is pretty much new. PM or email if ya want it.
Charlie

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wonko, thanks for the offer. I need to do a little research on the PAST, so I'll get back to you. Leaving tomorrow for Yuma doves. Woohoo!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Past pads are great. I use one in the pocket of my shooting vest. I can't remember who made the vest with the "pad pocket" but that is the way to go in my opinion. In Argentina, the Past harness is what I would use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but...

As I understand it a 'rotator cuff' is a system of muscles that move the upper arm up and away from the body.

Since a 'shoulder fired gun' actually sits on the pectoral muscle, I'm curious how a recoil pad could help.

It won't lift the gun for you, and even if it helps with fatigue it might encourage you to do something that you really shouldn't be doing and the result could be, as you fear, more damage.

Were it me, I'd lay off shooting and get the thing fixed while it still can be.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I concur based on my past experience with shoulder issues and surgery.
Karl

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.