May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (rocky mtn bill, bigblock, SKB, ClapperZapper, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 1,022 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,552
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

As soon as I figure out what is not working wright on my computer! blush

DDS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

But someone said this was all about fluid dynamics. Okay, let's talk fluid dynamics. Frankly I don't see that being any better than an approximate analogy. But I'm listening, or I was anyway.

Quote:
If the pictures on page 3 of this thread do not convince you that the shot charge fired from a choked barrel lengthens between 6 feet and 14 feet then nothing will. The only possible thing that could cause this is speed differential. The trailing pellets are going slower than the leading ones in spite of the drag front acting on the leading pellets. The trailing pellets must have been launched at lower velocity.

Yup, I got that. Got that many decades ago, actually. Doesn't do a darn thing to answer my question either.

[quote]If there were an endless constant stream of pellets traveling through the choke, they would all behave the same at exit. This is clearly not the case in the physical shotgun.

The 18 foot photo shows the pellets starting to bunch up and spread due to the same effects that work on the cylinder choke shot mass. That's 6 yards downrange and still only 1/3 the diameter of the cylinder choke sample.

That is 'choke effect' plain and simple and that's all there is to it.

This is a description of the phenomenon, not an explanation or understanding of it.

Quote:
It's caused by a differential in speed between the leading and trailing pellets. If all the pellets shown in the 6 foot picture of the choked barrel were going the same speed, the pattern would already have started to mushroom like the photo above it.

And yet all the pellets traveled through the same choke.

Quote:
Here's a WS-1 choke, if this site will allow me to post the link to another shotgun site...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=365315

Well, that certainly DOES bear some resemblance to a de Laval nozzle, doesn't it?

Thanks but I'll retreat to other environs. I'm not finding what I was looking for.

I am the guilty party for saying choke is largely about fluid dynamics. I remain guilty. The larger the number of discrete particles (atoms, molecules, ....., shot pellets, gravel, rocks) in the flow field, the more exacting the predictions. 500 pellets is a very small number of particles. Yet, we have a flow field, a constriction, and a narrower, more cohesive flow. Where am I wrong?

I am providing an explanation of the phenomenon. As the leading edge of the shot column enters the choke, these leading pellets accelerate/speed up to get out of the way of the pellets behind them. They accelerate all the way through the choke, as do all of the pellets, gaining some 50 fps. The leading pellets have experienced higher velocity for some fraction of a second longer than the trailing shot. Therefore, they are farther ahead; ergo the shot column is lengthened.

Yes, all the pellets traveled through the same choke, but not at the same time. Therefore, the lead pellets are farther ahead than in the unchoked column.

The WS-1 choke profile does look like a de Laval nozzle in that it has a convergent and divergent section. Since we don't know the speed of sound within the shot column (This is entirely different than the speed of sound in the surrounding air), we are unable to calculate parameters for the nozzle and have to rely on experimentation. I am unaware of any experiments to incorporate a divergent section in a full choke nozzle.

One more time. What are you looking for that has not been answered?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
And we all have shotguns that we have patterned with different chokes. Clearly, different things happen in each. I am not so sure I trust fluid dynamics to tell me much of anything about chokes in guns. I trust it pretty well in garden hoses.

Good thot! And a choke is not a nozzle. The shot mass is not liquid. The choke effect is the result of a number of forces acting on a collection of discrete and interacting bodies

A nozzle does not need a divergent section unless the intent is to accelerate the flow mass beyond its sonic velocity. Well, the interaction of forces and moments on discrete particles pretty well explains all statics and dynamics. Unfortunately, that foundation gives us no information relevant to individual situations. Exactly which forces and moments are acting within the choke?

"May the force and moment be with you!" grin

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
....One more time. What are you looking for that has not been answered?....

Do the shot pellets have to retain a spherical shape for the flow theory to hold up? For example, steel shot that may be less subject to shape distortion seems to flow through a shotgun choke in a different way than lead does. If the shot, or some of the shot, can be shown to become distorted, is their flight through air and disrupted air predictable enough to stay within the theory? Only asking, no other implications.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
....One more time. What are you looking for that has not been answered?....

Do the shot pellets have to retain a spherical shape for the flow theory to hold up? For example, steel shot that may be less subject to shape distortion seems to flow through a shotgun choke in a different way than lead does. If the shot, or some of the shot, can be shown to become distorted, is their flight through air and disrupted air predictable enough to stay within the theory? Only asking, no other implications.

No, any shape will do. However, it seems likely that there would be some shape factor. How do you see steel and lead shot differing in response to choke constriction? Distorted shot has been shown to produce a higher % of "fliers" than spherical. That said, I think turbulent air behind the lead pellets is not very disruptive of the shot's flight path. A pellet getting a sideways boost in one direction is just as likely to get a similar boost in the opposite direction a little farther along. Prediction of flight path of projectiles through still and turbulent air is fairly settled science. Note that choke effect ends at the muzzle. From that point on, the flight path is set by muzzle exit forward velocity, sideways velocity, and aerodynamic effects encountered along the flight path.

That help?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, if the pellets need to speed up to get out of the way of the following pellets when there are no more following pellets that need would disappear.

The last portion, say the length of the conical section or even close to the diameter of the bore, could as easily fill the space behind with the effect that a considerable fraction of the payload does not accelerate at all or even is slowed. Given the force needed to displace the pellets ahead vs the pressure required to resist the wad, this seems quite plausible. We are still accelerating about 20 feet per second per inch here, so inertia is not on the side of going faster.

There is also the conservation of energy bugaboo. An extra 50 fps for the entire shot charge seems unreasonable. This energy has to be extracted from the expanding gas, at a rate of V squared.

I can't reconcile the observed length of the full choke shot charge with equal acceleration of all pellets through the choke.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

The last layer of pellets would probably ride the wad out the muzzle. But, the front layer has had higher velocity for a small fraction of a second. Whether or not the last layer of pellets has full acceleration from the choke, the shot string will be stretched out due to the front layer having longer at higher velocity. I don't think anything slows down. The acceleration of the pellets is provided by a drop in pressure internal to the shot column. I know that is counter-intuitive, but it is true.

Does that help? More questions or observations?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

....However, it seems likely that there would be some shape factor. How do you see steel and lead shot differing in response to choke constriction? Distorted shot has been shown to produce a higher % of "fliers" than spherical....

....Prediction of flight path of projectiles through still and turbulent air is fairly settled science....

Thanks much DDA. Purely on the two dimensional result of a pattern plate, I believe steel shot can deliver a similar pellet count, if all else is equal, with less choke constriction.

When I see pictures of long shot strings, it might appear that the effect of turbulence would be increasingly difficult to calculate due to the random and overlapping distribution of the shot creating it. I've also wondered if trailers were to some degree flyers, distorted shot subject to increased drag, and not only the tail end of a flow model. Anyway, only thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nope. Just looking for first principles. Simple as that.

What could be easier? Take a good look at Newton's Laws of Motion. Nothing complicated there and readily understandable. Then re-read my comments in this thread. Newton's Laws of Motion applied to the mechanical interaction of solid interacting bodies subject to external and resultant inter-body forces just like Newton describes.
TabA/SlotB I mean, this is REALLY simple. A body at rest/in motion remains at rest/in motion until etc etc etc

HTH

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately, that foundation gives us no information relevant to individual situations. Exactly which forces and moments are acting within the choke?

I can only assume that you are joking that the forces involved are not obvious. Seriously. Are you truly incapable pf visualizing that?

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 12/09/17 12:15 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.