April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (fallschirmjaeger, David Williamson, GSPWillie, bigblock, arrieta2, 1 invisible), 429 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, that's a good point about nomenclature for Dalys.

I try to remember to use the term "Quality" rather than "Grade", but Grade is so common with so many other makes of guns, it's easy to slip up.

In a simplistic way, my understanding of the model numbers for the Diamond Quality guns from the era of my gun, just after the turn of the century, is that the opening price point is the 225 extractor while a gun like mine, a 275, is essentially the same with ejectors. Moving up to the 300's, a 325 will be an extractor gun but will have some gold inlays, while the 375 will have the ejectors. And the Regent Diamond is a model 500???

Have I got that right?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I slip up too Canvasback :-).

The model sequence you describe, 225-275-325-375-500 (regent diamond) is correct, but only for a portion of the Prussian Daly production timeline. That is why the "when" it was produced is so important when figuring out the model

For example, when SD&G introduced the the diamond quality nomenclature, there were only two diamond quality guns available, one hammerless and one hammer gun model. The hammerless model was the model 200. As the diamond quality line-up expanded and morphed over the years, some models came and went, or just became an option on the same model. For example, the only difference between the diamond quality model 255 and other diamond quality model was the choice between damascus and fluid steel barrels.

To be honest, it is really quite confusing without a cheat sheet. The reference I use is series of tables I made up years ago based on a collection of approximately 15 period SD&G catalogs. The Daly Almanac has a version of that table for reference.

Clear as mud, right?

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 12/05/17 05:20 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the clarification. I was reading late last night from this resource...
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/archive-charles-daly/ and there was info in it related to what you are saying about quality vs grade. It does get confusing quickly and as I understand it, there are no surviving Daly records from the Prussian period.

Ken, is the Daly Almanac the link I referenced above or is it something different? I've been on the German Hunting Guns website trying to figure that out without knowing for sure. The only Daly resources I saw on their online store were later data, not Prussian.

Also, thanks for the pricing info. I've been trying to research what the auction houses sold them for as a guide of sorts. I hope to see some Prussian Daly guns in Vegas.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Daly catalog from their 88 Chambers St. address. It features the No. 500 at $650, the 275 at $450, the 185 at $275 and the 100 at $150. Also their single barrel trap, the "Sextuple" trap, the double trap, a three barrel gun in several grades and an over/under. Very interesting! Anyone estimate the date of this catalog??
Also note the 10 gauge guns were a special order.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bryan,

Try this link - http://www.germanguns.com/der-waffenschmied.html - and look for issue #46.

The German hunting guns (germanhuntingguns.com) and German gun collector websites (germanguns.com) have similar names, but are different (long story.)

Walt,

Cool original catalog. I have the reprint but have never seen an original - nice! I don't have my reference materials in front of me, but I believe this one is circa-1930. This is post-break-up of Schoverling, Daly, and Gales. The catalog also does not contain info on the Prussian Daly rifles that arrived a few years later which sort of brackets it.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 12/05/17 06:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Joe:

I don't know why you gave up custody of that Lindner Daly 16 gauge, but I would have a hard time contemplating that you replaced it with something nicer. It's a stunning gun.

Rem

The truth? I've enjoyed the gun for many years but it mostly sat in the safe. And I've reached the age or stage in life that accumulating stuff just doesn't have the allure it once did. Finally, the buyer has had first call for it since I bought it. Seems,as though I always sell the collector guns and cherish the old worn shooters. I really enjoy finding them but these days I get more pleasure out of someone else I know buying them. (I still have my favorites though).

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Georgi
Bryan,

Try this link - http://www.germanguns.com/der-waffenschmied.html - and look for issue #46.

Ken

I just ordered it. Thanks!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What would the catalog look like from the Lindner Prussian Daly period? Are there reproductions available?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bryan_Pettet
What would the catalog look like from the Lindner Prussian Daly period? Are there reproductions available?

Go to Cornell Publications. They specialize in catalogue reproductions. Look up catalogues for Schoverling, Daly and Gales. More than a few to choose from.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I figured someone had made a repro for it. I will go to Cornell.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.