May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, azgreg, gil russell, obsessed-with-doubles, Sun Dog, 1 invisible), 249 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,560
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#496489 12/02/17 06:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thoughts on the Brno-made sidelock guns? The ZP series have chopper lump barrels, coil springs and a concealed third fastener. I have a 12 gauge with an English stock and extractors, which I think is decently well made, if not a bit plain. They don't appear to be as finely finished as some of the other European makers, but they do seem to have a lot going for them as far as function over form. Opinions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures??

All the Brno's that I have had felt like 2x4s

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/02/17 07:07 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Longer barreled ones make good fence posts..

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two 12's and one 16 gauge. One of the 12's is an ejector gun. Unlike skeettx, I find them to be very nice handling guns. I guess that is where how a gun fits you comes into play. I can break clays quite well with them. They are fairly well built, reliable guns. All parts were hand fit. Yes, they are on the plain side although you can get some with engraved locks. My ejector gun has a gold trigger guard and a bit fancier wood. Here in Canada, it is very hard to come across one in 16 gauge.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Gunsaholic, the 16s are scarce here as well....I know because I have been looking.

I'm not going to say these guns are not a little clunky, but they are supposedly made with very tough steels and with the coil springs I should think they would serve for a long time in the field, no?

Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

The advertisements above look like different guns from the ones I've owned. As I posted to the previous thread Ed noted, I owned a 12ga ZP49 and a 16ga ZP 47. The 12ga was heavy and I once missed four gobblers in one opening weekend with it. The 16ga was a joy to carry and to shoot.

Here are some older ads from the time my guns were built:

I have neither of them anymore, but if I ever come across another 16ga I'll likely buy it. Overall good guns...Geo

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fallschirmjaeger - I have a ZP49 12 bore which I bought new in Nairobi 40 years ago. It is as you describe except with ejectors. Plain black, no engraving - a poor man's Funeral Model. I carried it in the bush for protection (as a scruffy young American, I couldn't get a permit for a rifle back then) and hardly ever fired it. When I brought it back here I found that I couldn't hit a thing, and questions about that led me to this forum. You guys taught me about shotgun fit, I had the stock bent to fit, and as I thought it would be my only shotgun forever, I had tubes installed. Over the years you guys have made me buy nicer guns, but I still use it on rainy days and it still fits better than anything else. After forty years of moderate use, a firing pin broke and an ejector failed, both now repaired.

Between the modifications and the recent repairs I have put far too much money into a cheap gun, but who isn't a sucker for their first born?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
I have two 12's and one 16 gauge. One of the 12's is an ejector gun. Unlike skeettx, I find them to be very nice handling guns. I guess that is where how a gun fits you comes into play. I can break clays quite well with them. They are fairly well built, reliable guns. All parts were hand fit. Yes, they are on the plain side although you can get some with engraved locks. My ejector gun has a gold trigger guard and a bit fancier wood. Here in Canada, it is very hard to come across one in 16 gauge.

A gold trigger guard, eh? That ought to really spruce things up.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.