May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jason Dubois, Marks_21, Jtplumb, 4 invisible), 270 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,153
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
any others out there with experience or knowledge of orphan barrels fit to fox guns? how about parkers or other american made mass produced guns?

for example, last year, i sold two nitro specials fit with original and orphan barrels...one in 12 gauge and the other in 20 gauge...

What does this prove Ed? The fact that a different set of barrels is installed on a gun does not mean they were fitted correctly. We already know your incorrect thoughts on defining whether a gun is loose or off-face. We have also heard your silly excuses for your lack of a return policy when dissatisfied buyers have attempted to return shotguns that were loose with the forend removed.

It is perfectly understandable why nobody wishes to take your trolling bait and enter into a technical discussion with someone who has a long track record of rejecting facts and the truth.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

just remembered another two barrel set that i sold a couple of years ago...it was a high 80,000's vintage parker gh, with damascus barrels on a #2 frame...also fit to the receiver and forend was a set of low 90,000's vintage vh fluid steel barrels, also made to fit a #2 frame...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you torch the action on that one, ed?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

and the more i think about this, i seem to remember a 12 gauge parker trojan with an additional set of orphan trojan barrels fit to the receiver and forend...

a conclusion one could make is that mass produced american guns, such as fox sterlingworths, parker trojans and ithaca nitro specials are likely candidates for orphan barrel fitting success, particularly, if the orphan barrels are numbered within a few thousands of the receiver...

it surprises me that some of you have had success fitting lc smith barrels...one would think that due to the ups and downs of that brand, plus the many design and manufacturing changes that incurred over the years, that it would be unlikely that smith barrels would interchange, except where the serial numbers of the receiver and orphan barrels are close...

Last edited by ed good; 11/30/17 11:49 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

stan: if you wish to discuss shotgun receiver recoloring methodologies, then do start a thread on the subject...however, it is doubtful that anything new could be added to what has already been stated in other threads on this fine forum...

cept, a quick google search did reveal this:

https://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/color-case-hardening-patina-kit/

Last edited by ed good; 12/01/17 12:21 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
it surprises me that some of you have had success fitting lc smith barrels...one would think that due to the ups and downs of that brand, plus the many design and manufacturing changes that incurred over the years, that it would be unlikely that smith barrels would interchange, except where the serial numbers of the receiver and orphan barrels are close...

That's what happens when you actually do things for yourself, ed. You learn things that those who simply postulate never do.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/01/17 07:59 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, there's to be expected back and forth snarkiness but what comes across is some real expertise on this board. I personally find this thread fascinating in two ways and would like to see it expanded:

1I. I'd love to see a youtube video on fitting orphaned barrels...and how it's done. I once found an incredibly interesting video featuring an 80 year old British gun master tightening up and putting on face an old gun...using hammers, vise, file and a smoke lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqfxRugPVw

and 2) the whole subject of the science of case coloring is unknown to me (ok I've watched youtube videos of firing the whole action but restoring case colors is another subject - you all have mentioned "arsenic" etc.). I once started a thread on a Saint Etienne gun I was interested in with what I thought might be redone case colors and was challenged as to what an early 20th century French gun's colors actually looked like. I've been compiling a library ever since.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...9546#Post489546

Last edited by Argo44; 12/01/17 09:31 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed, because Hunter Arms made hundreds of thousands of these guns there were jigs used to align the parts of the barrels. The for-end loop is one, the hinge pin on both frames Regular and Featherweight, even the extension rib going into the receiver. Therefore there was little hand fitting to be done and that is why many orphaned barrels can be fitted with very minimal fitting or none at all.
I like to shoot one hammer gun circa 1908, that when I bought it had 25 5/16" barrels, I knew they were cut but I also knew that I would find a set to fit it. I did and since than I have fit 3 other orphaned barrels to it, two fit right on, on face with a few thousands gap between the water tables as it should be. One of these sets is from a No. 1 circa 1899 that fit right on. The last set, from a Field Grade with Armor Steel circa 1917 took some time to fit because of the top rib extension and the hook. The left barrel is tight on face and the right is .002 off face having to do with the hook being slightly on an angle as shown by the Prussian blue readings. The lever is way to the right of center and this is due to the "window" opening in the top rib. This set of barrels has a narrow window and the rotary bolt catches it but not fully. I could take more off the slope of the top rib window but it locks up solid. I use these set of barrels for trap shooting as they are 32" with .040 and .041 constriction.
The hardest thing is fitting the for-end, and I use one for-end for all 4 barrels. I just recently put a beavertail for-end on this gun with a roller release. This took many hours to fit just to make the changes in the iron to except the roller release. This beavertail also has a recoil rod that is was fit to it and now this for-end fits 3 of the barrels, still have to work on the original set with the cut barrels.
I do this for myself as I am retired and have the man hours to do it. It is a fun project to work on these guns. I do not know about other brands of guns as L.C. Smiths are the only guns I work on.

Last edited by David Williamson; 12/01/17 09:41 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

david: your post is most interesting and informative ...sounds like hunter arms smiths should be added to the list of likely candidates for fitting orphan barrels...wish i had your literary skill...

Last edited by ed good; 12/01/17 12:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

argo: the topic of shotgun receiver recoloring has generated so much venom here, that the mere discussion of alternatives and methodologies has become poisonous...

the midland jack rowe video is a classic...and many more larry potterfield gunsmithing videos many be found via google search...all are informative and entertaining..

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.