May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, FallCreekFan, Borderbill, 3 invisible), 630 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,148
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

keith, we are in agreement re orphan barrels...care to give us details about what guns you have been able to fit with replacement barrels?

as for gun related social issues, suggest you start an off topic thread on the subject, so we can debate them without trashing this and other threads...

Last edited by ed good; 11/29/17 09:53 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Been there, did that Ed. But you weren't happy about it for some odd reason, even though it showcased your own words:

Anti-Gun Posts by Ed Good

By the way, your one man fan club seems to think that you are also Jagermeister... posting under more than one screen name, because you are a sad, lonely, old Troll.

Can you confirm that please?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

well keit, if you wish to discuss whos who here, suggest you start an off topic thread so we can discuss without trashing this and other threads...

and have you really fit replacement barrels to receivers and forends?...or is that just a bogus boast on your part?

Sidelock
Sidelock

would be interesting to hear from others re their experiences in fitting non original barrels and forends...

one experience that comes to mind is the back half of a parker lifter, serial # 5xxx, that was successfully fit to the barrels and forend of a much later lifter...in the 12000 range, as i recall...

Last edited by ed good; 11/29/17 10:17 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
well keit, if you wish to discuss whos who here, suggest you start an off topic thread so we can discuss without trashing this and other threads...

and have you really fit replacement barrels to receivers and forends?...or is that just a bogus boast on your part?

Double shotguns do not have receivers Ed. They have actions. Big difference, if you actually knew anything about guns. But you seem to be wrong a lot more than you are right... just like Jagermeister.

Yes, I have fitted orphan barrels to guns with damaged or missing barrels. The first one I did was an OO Grade L.C. Smith that had the left barrel blown up due to a plug of snow in the barrels. I also did a couple Syracuse Lefevers, and a 20 ga. Ithaca Flues. I'm still looking for barrels and a forend for an early four digit 16 ga. B grade Baker, and either 16 or 20 gauge barrels that I can use to save a G Grade Lefever. The difference in firing pin spacing and breech width is often pretty much inconsequential with many later 20's and 16's. The compensating screw in the action knuckle makes it a bit easier than stoning or building up and dressing a hook. And making a new bolt of the correct thickness is not as difficult as with most other guns. Then one doesn't need to peen dolls heads or bend top levers like you know who to have them right of center and tightly bolted. Oh yes, I also have a set of Lefever DSE barrels to use on an IE grade that has pitted barrels, but that project is pending.

Here's one I saw recently. It has different serial numbers on both barrels, on the water table, and on the forend iron. The buttstock is also quite proud of the action, and most likely came from another gun as well. The fact that an E grade Lefever with nice wood and auto ejectors didn't get more than two bids with a high of $555.00 goes to show that marrying a bunch of non-original parts isn't going to net you a bunch of money when you sell.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712158122

EDIT for Ed Good: If I started a new thread to discuss the fact that you don't know the difference between a receiver and an action, you still wouldn't be happy. If you wish to discuss gunsmithing, I suggest you have a talk with old Ed Lander while you two burn some double shotgun actions... not receivers... with an acetylene torch.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

well keit, if you wish to discuss shotgun nomenclature, then suggest you start a new thread so we can discuss that topic without trashing this thread and others...

as for your experiences fitting barrels to receivers/actions, they sound interesting...ever done a two barrel set?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience with a 1909 Fox CE is typical. After a stuck wad induced barrel bulge, I tried twice to fit orphaned barrels with no luck. There are just too many variables. The breech width is a big one, and very few sellers are unable or unwilling to provide a precise mic’d measurement of the width. I have several Foxes, and no similar gauge barrel from one fits any other, even ones from the same year of manufacture.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like others here I have successfully been able add a set of barrels to a gun (20ga LC Smith 5E). I paid for it because I wanted a two sets of barrels and the cost of the donor gun with good barrels was acceptable to. In the end it worked but was not ideal and having a forend to go with the barrels to be added helped.

I admire the gunsmithing skills of those like SKB and Keith who have actually done it.

In answer to the thread question can orphan barrels be fitted, yes, but with skilled hands, and perhaps great costs as others have already stated.

I believe as SKB stated “possible yes, but not likely.” re some Purdey barrels applies to most orphaned barrel options

Do not agree whatsoever with Ed’s generic statement
Originally Posted By: ed good
experience has proven the following guns are more likely to interchange barrels:

fox sterlingworth...............

My experience with Fox Sterlingworth guns has not shown that, at all.

I believe you really have to want to fit a orphaned set or new set and you can afford the price immaterial of recovering your investment. Adding barrels is either out of love for bringing a gun back or making it more versatile, but it is sunk money you will not get back.

That said, I still dream of adding a set of barrels to my Purdey 16ga, despite the fact the current tubes are still good and the likelihood of finding an orphaned set is zero and Bill Blacker barrels are beyond my purse for the time being.

Last edited by old colonel; 11/29/17 11:04 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

gr: that has been my experience...graded fox guns are inconsistent...however, have seen a few 12 gauge sterlingworths with two sets of barrels...most with a single forend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

old: as for fitting barrels to 12 gauge sterlingworths...best results have been experienced with barrels with serial numbers within a few thousands of each other...and post ww1 guns seem to be more consistent than older pre war made guns...wish i had some pictures to post, but alas i dont...

Last edited by ed good; 11/29/17 11:16 PM.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.