May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (prairie ghost, Ted Schefelbein, AZMike, Stanton Hillis), 326 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,131
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have fitted 7 or 8 NOS in the white unfitted Fox barrels and that is a tough job that I do not care to do again in my old age. Bobby

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done two sets of NOS Fox barrels. It is a very big job and patience is a must. Much easier going very slow than going through welding the hook, etc to get things right. As to orphaned complete sets of barrels, as some have stated already, sometimes you get lucky other times no matter what you do you can not get them to work. I explain this to each customer when they approach me on these types of jobs. Most get it, a few don't. I pretty much try to pass on these jobs now days. Too many variables and some folks just do not understand that this is hourly work that I can not give a fixed quote on.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK let me further explain my question. I suppose I could fit my size 12 foot into a size 11 shoe but it would look like crap.
A few years ago a guy was selling a set of Purdey 30" barrels on Ebay and he lived within a couple hours drive from me.
My friend said no way I would ever be able to get a proper fit since all these guns were hand made. Mine being built 1929 so with that I abandoned the idea.
Now is it possible to get a good and proper fit with orphaned barrels? Will it look like Purdey proper work?

Mike Proctor
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

possible yes, but not likely.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lottery odds. No two British "fine" guns were made anything but one at a time. What if your barrels are struck .010 more on the right side and .010 less on the left so that one side against the breech face the right is too small and the right too large. Are you going to strike the breech down on the right and the barrels on the left? Nope.

Before I ever tried to fit a set of barrels I spent a lot of time measuring everything you could think of before I started. To me fitting a set of barrels, which were too large or too small for the gun would have been a waste of time and a set of barrels. But you never know. The lottery does pay off for someone.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Just passed on doing this with a Darne R model. Too much time and money with not much gain, on a lower grade gun.
I got good, sound advice from JJ. I respect that guy.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

experience has proven the following guns are more likely to interchange barrels:

fox sterlingworth

parkers of same model, frame size and era

ithaca nitro special

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

That statement is total BS. (Less so maybe on the Nitro Special.)

Proof positive that just because they may mount and close, you cant trust someones word that they fit properly, or “interchange” as they say.

Ed thinks that extra barrel sets add value to guns he tries to sell. Whether they fit properly or not.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

dudley: you jump to negative conclusion, based upon your ignorance...

all two barrel sets that have passed thru my hands have been fit or refit by experienced qualified gunsmiths...

it has been my experience that an extra set of properly fit barrels do add value...

unlike you, my post here is to add positive contribution...

yours is just mean spirited nonsense.

Last edited by ed good; 11/29/17 07:52 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Ed, would you say it is also mean-spirited nonsense to Troll crap like this on a gun enthusiast's forum:

Originally Posted By: ed good
if society, via our law makers, deem it necessary to restrict or prohibit our possession of certain classes of arms, then every good citizen should obey the law for the good of the majority.

and if some here wish to discuss further restriction and prohibition of certain classes of arms here, then why not?

Originally Posted By: ed good
as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

Or does having a one man fan club make you a proud man?

By the way, having fitted a few sets of orphan barrels to guns with missing or damaged barrels, I can say that I totally agree with what Stan said in his first post. But I still think it is worth trying if you can buy a good set reasonably, and evaluate them honestly before screwing up and ruining them. As Brian Dudley says, you can always resell them if they just won't work on your particular gun. And when compared to the extreme cost and hassle of having a new set made from scratch, well, there is no comparison.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.