April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (StevenD, KY Jon, LGF), 380 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

They should call this one the Fox model C.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the risk of repeating myself over and over (yeah, I know), the New Fox gun from Savage will not sell more than a few dozen tops to those outside the circle of knowledgeable sxs fans like those here. The RBL overfilled this niche a few years ago and plenty are still available new and used,

Wasted time, effort, and money on Savage's part, good move by TG to get rid of some RBL parts.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
They should call this one the Fox model C.

No. The Z Grade, in honor of Tony Galazan.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree it is doomed for failure at that price, but I will say that if someone was going to copy a boxlock action design, they couldn't have picked a better one. It's a shame they didn't utilize the inside design as well as the outside. Only three moving parts per lock, and the most attractive lines and contours of any box lock ever built, IMO, and I might add, Jim Carmichael's, too. To quote him --

"The double-barreled shotguns made by Ansley H. Fox in his
Philadelphia factory are classics for the simple reason that
they are the most beautiful shotguns ever made in America and,
for that matter, among the most beautiful boxlock designs ever
made anywhere. Whereas the customary practice of gun invention
was to design from the inside out, often enclosing the
mechanism in a plain outer shell that required engraving or
other embellishment to be presentable, the seductive lines of
the Fox receiver suggest that it was sculpted by an artist.
Like a lush maiden shed of her arrayment, the Fox needed no
engraving to accent its sensuous contours and, indeed, the
unadorned lowest grades perhaps best showcase their elegance
of form."

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too would rather see it in 16 ga.( 26" IC&Mod). If , as said above, the demand for these in 12 & 20 has been met, why not sell some 16s.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

With a lil TIC, I have to admit not knowing the Fox Shotgun went anywhere? Seems to be a lot of REAL ones out there, most of which will likely outlast us...Have a great Thanksgiving folks..Flash and I will go see if we can put a couple more roosters to rest...Stay well

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
This new Fox is nothing like the older Savage Fox Model A that was based on the Stevens 311,

The original Fox Model B which was introduced in mid-1939, was essentially the internal parts of the J. Stevens No. 530 stuck in a nicer profiled receiver with a bit nicer stock. There was no such thing as a Stevens Model 311 until after WW-II. The J. Stevens Arms Co.'s Springfield No. 311, which was introduced circa 1929, was built on the G.S. Lewis patent action with coil spring driven strikers as was their Springfield No. 315 and their Stevens No. 330 as well as myriad "trade brand" guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good looking gun. I hope it does well for Savage.

I've got a few of RBLs and I am happy with them. They don't get out much because my tastes have migrated towards lighter weight guns, though.

Doesn't make sense for Savage to name it "Fox", though. At this point in time, those who know the Fox name won't be fooled, and those who don't know the Fox name won't understand or care. And, I wonder why Tony Galazan would allow the trademarked name of his fine Fox guns to be watered down by all this. I wonder if he is struggling to keep his workers busy: "I'll let you name your new gun 'Fox' if you let me make them . . ." ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are simply business decisions based on factors we don't know much about...the health of Tony's business, how busy is his manufacturing, how much Savage was prepared to pay for the Fox name, etc.

Brand names are often pimped out for licensing fees, as the value of the operating business recedes. Or in any area that the core business doesn't touch. In this case, the value of the core operating business that uses the Fox name (Tony's replica Fox gun business) would likely have a remarkably small annual turnover despite the high regard and knowledge level we have of the brand name and Tony's A H Fox branded product.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Brand names are often pimped out for licensing fees, as the value of the operating business recedes. Or in any area that the core business doesn't touch. In this case, the value of the core operating business that uses the Fox name (Tony's replica Fox gun business) would likely have a remarkably small annual turnover despite the high regard and knowledge level we have of the brand name and Tony's A H Fox branded product.

Huh?
JR

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.