March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm convinced that if I priced dollar bills for 80 cents, a lot of guys would walk away if I wouldn't come down to 60 cents. Some guys are simply incapable of paying sticker price. They may not have a clue whether the price is fair or not. They don't care. All that matters to them is that they get the seller to budge. Many of them would gladly buy dollar bills for $1.10 if they first talked the seller down from $1.40 (which is essentially what happens in so many pawnshops/gunshops/gun shows where the seller marks up his price to accommodate negotiations).

I may be a sucker but if a guy has something for sale that I want and his price is fair, I'll generally pay his price even if I suspect I might be able to get it a bit cheaper. I know what it takes to try to make a living operating a business and I want to see people succeed. This is more true the closer I am to the seller and the more I like him. "Good friends" pay retail, I say. I've never understood the thinking that says "you're my friend so you should give me a break". I translate that to "You're my friend so I should get to take food off your table." In the great scheme of things I can probably afford whatever discount I would receive at least as much as the seller can afford to give the discount. Now, if his price is actually too high, that's a different story.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/19/17 06:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm curious if every communication from a potential buyer implies a commitment to buy something. I'll confess that browsing online auctions and inventories has become a pastime and a major means of educating myself on double guns. I see lot's of guns that look interesting but whose descriptions lack basic information like weight, chokes, and stock dimensions. Is it wasting a seller's time to ask for that kind of info without having made a prior decision to buy the gun? It's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely interested in people's opinions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a question, not a contract.
The prospect has every right to ask questions without the expectation of purchase.
It's a spectrum between the Walter Mitty's and the real patrons.
Some people have no confidence, so they ask endless questions everywhere across the web before they buy. And some of them spend great sums after they become comfortable in their decision.
Some are bored geezers that will always have an excuse to not buy.

It's their hobby, tire kicking. And they are pests.

These are the guys whining about $300.00 transactions, and having to get permission. You gotta be nice, but they need to get a clue. Time is money, and I don't have all day to reminisce before you buy a $2.00 bag of patches.
Imagine what you go through with half a subdivision full of spec houses at 300-400k A POP.

You ask qualifying questions and decide if they can buy or not. If not, you decide if Not right now is Never, or not this month.
Some people just like to tour new houses.
It's not a crime to dream and aspire.

If a gun peddler is posting vague or incomplete ads, in this day and age, He's making his job harder, and wasting everyone's time.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
Mr Boyd is frustrated by chicken$hit buyers who give their wives oversight of their spending habits as the excuse for them not buying a gun; however, if guns were priced right thered be fewer tire kickers. The SxS market has been soft for several years but asking prices rarely reflect that as evidenced by the long term listings on the auction sites that keep being relisted. On Gunsinternational there are roughly 800 British guns for sale and 600 or so Parkers, just to give two examples. Over-supply maybe? How many SxS shooters are there? Fewer and fewer given the aging population and mediocre participation in previously well-attended vintager shoots. If dealers want to stimulate the market they need to price their guns right.

Certainly an element to consider. Remember Father Guido Sarduci? 5 minute university? Economics - supply and demand

The discussion in the stock market thread pretty much covered it all

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
....If a gun peddler is posting vague or incomplete ads, in this day and age, He's making his job harder, and wasting everyone's time.

Or, it could be intentional to trigger potential buyers to contact the seller. I think in this day and age, a seller probably has endless stats on how their final paying internet customer got to them. Me, I prefer complete up front, but I have noticed some sellers of other things have preset responses that probably require minimal time, but initiate the chance to suck 'em in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan and I are good friends, but that doesn't matter here on this. I agree with him 100% about John's complaining about the known foibles of the fine gun trade. It's endemic to the business.

Instead of acting like you deserve better, try swallowing your pride and just be nice to the great unwashed who waste your time on occasion, rather than coming here to tell us all how bad you have it. It will pay off in the long run.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just not a "hagler'. I'm no good at it; get skinned every time I try. Now, I just explain I don't haggle and ask for his best price. It's either right or it's not, simple as that. Might lose a little some time but when I walk away with something I know I was happy or I wouldn't have bought it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

After a 30 plus year career in sales & marketing, where my customers were retailers, I can tell you the successful ones don't think the way John does. The truth is, you never know who is going to turn into a great customer. And I'm not saying it's not hard. But it's the profession John choose and coming here to complain is remarkably unprofessional.

I noted in one response, John defended his comments by suggesting this forum is filled with people denigrating gun dealers as crooks and we all sit quietly by without protesting that. I've been on here for a number of years now and I can't remember any posts like that. Maybe a few slipped by me but it would have been an uncommon post.

People here occasionally note the incompetence of the gun room staff at places like Cabelas, but that's a different issue and one that often works on our members' favour as they sometimes buy a gun that was not priced properly.

I've had one interaction with John. I inquired about a smaller item he had listed here, less than $50. I got a pretty curt response that he doesn't ship international. Boom, conversation over. Had he responded a little differently than just cutting me off he would have heard that I would be asking him to ship to an address in Texas.

As it stands, I have choices in the marketplace. As a result of that brief exchange and his complaints here, I'll choose not to send any business here. I don't buy a ton of guns but I'm in the midst of negotiating on three right now, none of them bottom feeder guns and one was featured in a DGJ article. I'll never buy a gun from John.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hesitated to chime in on this, but what the heck.

I can understand Johns point of view. At the same time I concur with the sentiment reflects a failure to live with an unfortunate reality of retail. A reality that frustrates John and I can understand why, especially in this world of emails and phone calls that can absorb a good bit of time.

I can accept it bothers John and not take offence at his bother. I doubt it does him much good to let it get to him. Further I can see why some interpret his remarks as attacks. I do not feel attacked

This is one of those topics that hits nerves as it has before.

I have done business with John and been happy with the transaction. If he has something I need, I will again.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.