April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Kolar Dickson, Marks_21), 1,189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,140
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think part of the problem, if it is actually a problem, for a lot of the guys on this board is that we often know more about the specific gun we are looking for than do the dealers. Sometimes I am looking for a specific configuration and condition level, so I either ask a lot of questions or examine the gun closely, or both. If it doesn't meet my criteria, I pass on it. If it's close to what I want, I'll make an offer, maybe buy or not depending on seller's response. That doesn't make me a tire kicker. I know what I want.

In other cases, there are those targets of opportunity that pop up from time to time and grab my attention. If I'm looking for a 20 ga Parker and stumble across an Elsie Crown Grade, I'm interested. Last time that happened, I bought the Crown after some back and forth. Other times I have walked away without making an offer. That does not make me a tire kicker, either. Retail is retail, and you have to work with the customers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Stan on this, if I were a retail merchant I certainly wouldn't be complaining about my customer base in public. It's the business you chose, deal with it or move on.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would point out too that many people browse until a gun strikes their fancy. As a double gun lover, I walk through many local shops but don't buy anything ad their doubles are not what I'm looking for. I'm hoping for the holy grail type of situation KY mentioned above

And I second the learning aspect. I've had the opportunity a couple of times of browsing a real double gun shop. I try not to take up much of the proprietors time, but I always walked away having learned something, or gotten to see first hand a type of gun that I had only read about before. And those proprietors who took the time to talk and educate me are the very first who I will return too when I have the many thousands of $$ for my ultimate purchase. Maybe 5 years down the road, but I remember who to go to!

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I try not to take up much of the proprietors time, but I always walked away having learned something,

That's why I miss Ivory Beads. When Jim and Jerry were in business in So Cal, they had a very large conference table in their showroom, with chairs and fresh (usually) coffee. We always made it a point to stop in there on our way back into town from hunting trips. Grab a cup of coffee and some BS'ing about shotguns. There were usually a few reprobates in there, sometimes serious customers, and always some interesting guns either in inventory or customer guns sitting on the table. I learned a lot from that group, and even bought a few guns that I was not even shopping for. Great shop, great attitude. I miss those guys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Stan:

I have seen many folks here go after dealers about thay are crooks, fall in the same relm of used car dealers, cheats, etc,
But say that I guess with you that is ok, say something the other way and that becomes an issue with you.

John

No, John, that's not alright with me. No one should be badmouthed when they can't defend themselves. Have you ever known of me to do that?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

on the matter of "Making an Offer" this happened to me many year ago which you will definitely see from the price mentioned. I was at a gun show in Nashville TN back when the TN Gun Collectors Association ran a great show, don't know if they even exist anymore but haven't sponsored a show in years. Passed by a dealers table whom I knew well & had bought a gun or so from previously & who also new I had a penchant for Lefevers. He told me I've got a gun here wih your name on it. He habded it over for me to look at, was an H grade LAC in geat mechanical condition but most finish gone.
No rust pitting or anything of the sort, just blue/browning & case colors bare. Price tag on it said $300.00. I told the gentleman that it appeared it would be a very good shooter, but not really a collectible & I couldn't see that kind of money for it. His response was "How much Would you Offer & Not Back Up".
I told him I would probably hurt his feelings if I made an offer, he replied "Try Me". I took him at his word & said $100.00. He said would you be happy with it for that, I said yes & he said its yours. It had 28" "Best London Twist barrels & turned out to have 1/4 choke in each barrel, most open chokes I have bought in a Lever & a weight of about 7 lbs. It is an excellent "Shooter" so am still happy with that urchaes, though I came within a hairs width of not making that offer as it was so low ball to the marked price, one just never knows until you try. Generally speaking a seller can only come down from a listed price, while a buyer can only go up from an initial offer. When I made my initial offer on this one I was actually counting on a bit of "Wiggle Room", but he took it with no further ado.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After I have spent the sellers time I have no problem making an offer. I have made offers on new cars, real estate and such. What I am trying to say is that the guy will not ever come back to make an offer about the gun. You say what is your offer and they clam up.

Do you really think he is a real buyer if he say he likes the gun but will not make an offer when you ask him for it?

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, only experience will tell a buyer that, sometimes, a ridiculously low offer will buy a gun. His loss, no one's gain, but he will learn with time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Ok, now let's play 'types of dealers'. Turnabout is fair play . . .

You're too generous. There's plenty of gun shops that are worthy of much more negative descriptions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pal of mine is a notorious lowballer.

His motto:

'At least now I'll know what he wants for it'.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.