April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, Stanton Hillis, KDGJ, buckstix, Argo44, 1 invisible), 393 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that the take down hard cases offer more protection than the typical gun sleeve. I use mine for going to the range, a car trip bird hunting, but certainly not for air travel as an Americase is better for that. A gun in a padded gun sleeve can get dammaged. Ask me how I know that.
I may get flammed for this, but I think the leather ones are worth the extra money. Seems a shame to put an expensive gun in anything else.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 11/20/17 06:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got an email yesterday about a Jeffs Outfitters Black Friday sale. Their sales can be pretty impressive. I've gotten books at a significant savings the day after thanksgiving, but it is 1 day only

Sidelock
Sidelock

bsteele,
I got the same email, and am waiting until Friday morning to see their offerings. I've been a good boy/husband/father and Christmas is coming.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: "canvasback"

PeterMichael, Ive got a couple of those cases. Wished Id paid $20.

Me too - The seller's didn't have a clue to it's real worth.

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

Will someone please explain to me just what these box cases are good for?

They look really neat for displaying a fine double, but you can't use them for air travel, everyone laughs at you if you take your gun to a dove shoot in one, no one travels by train anymore(at least not from here), they take up more storage space in the closet, they're ok for a road trip in the car but they advertise EXPENSIVE GUN and again they take up more space than a leg-0-mutton or gun slip.

Besides storage (it fits inside my safe), I've used them (and a leg-o-mutton case, below with a 28ga Ithaca Flues 1-S grade) for transporting the relatively thin-wall barreled double shotguns in my vehicle to/from my gun club and/or hunting areas.

If anybody laughed at me for using such gun cases, I sure wouldn't be returning to that shoot any time soon - since folks who behave like that just have no class.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the issue, thin barrel walls on doubleguns. The hard cases just offer better protection. Most of the guys at the SxS shoots show up with them anyway.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
That's the issue, thin barrel walls on doubleguns.

Another solution would be to just buy a BSS instead of a new case. Works for me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Talked with Jeff yesterday. He told me he is currently out of stock on his toe under cases but expects delivery from his supplier by late December.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One solution for vehicles that don't have room for full length soft cases would be one of the leg of muttons shown above. Another solution would be one of the breakdown soft cases. If I'm on a trip and hunting for several days, I like to carry my go-to gun in a full length soft case. I'm usually driving, and my vehicle is an extended cab small pickup. Sufficient room for full length soft cases, and nothing heavy or likely to damage the cased gun back behind the seats. (Stuff like that goes in the pickup bed, under a topper.) But for a spare gun, a soft breakdown case is a very good solution. I don't like it for the gun I'm using most of the time, because it means breaking the gun down, then putting it back together a few times a day, as we move from one cover to another. But for a backup gun, they're very handy. Also for going to the range, where you only reassemble and disassemble the gun once. On a trip, the soft cases aren't as bulky as hard cases.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/21/17 09:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why not let the man buy what he wants instead of spending 4 pages telling him he's wrong?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bsteele
Why not let the man buy what he wants instead of spending 4 pages telling him he's wrong?

Good point. However it is what we do...Geo

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.