May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 353 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,852
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don ... Thanks for posting the information. The 20s from a handling standpoint are a close match to the 12s.

The shell payload of a 2" 12 (7/8 or 15/16) matches the 20. I doubt there is a good way to show the 2" 12 will pattern better than a 2 1/2" 20 with the same payload. I know I wouldn't want to shoot today's 20 gauge (2 3/4") target loads for long in a 5 1/2 lb 20 for very long.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

True enough.

A standard 20 target load is manageable in a 6 1/4 pound gun. I've burned a couple hundred a day many, many times.

But when you get under 6 pounds, a 28 gauge target load in a 20 gauge hull is just the ticket.

The trend is toward loading the 20 lighter, and we have wads and components that make this easy now.

It took me a while to come around, but the acquisition of a 6 pound 20 gauge SxS convinced me.

You shoot better when it doesn't hurt.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
I doubt there is a good way to show the 2" 12 will pattern better than a 2 1/2" 20 with the same payload. Ken

Actually, Ken, there is a way to accurately compare them. Dr. A. C. Jones created a beautiful computer analysis system called shotgun insights. It provides analysis of digital photos of patterns at the statistically significant level. There might be a problem in finding a 2" 12 and 2 1/2" 20 with comparable constriction. But, for someone who has the time and inclination, it is certainly possible.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Volume of shots fired & conditions under which they are fired of course play a major role in this. I recall on one occasion using 1 factory 1 1/4 oz 3" 20 gauge load of #4 shot to kill a young Blue Goose from a 6 1/4 lb double. (Italian Rich-land 707). Didn't feel a thing when she went off. A couple hundred rounds in an afternoon on a range would be a totally different thing.

A younger co-worker of mine, he was abou 40 at the time, bought a used Spanish 12 gauge double. 28" barreled, DTNE, choked I/C-Mod with factory 3" chambers. He put one of those
1 7/8 oz Roman Candle loads in each barrel, picked out something to shoot at, threw it to his shoulder with a finger on each trigger. He yanked both triggers simultaneously & there was one big loud Ka-Bloom. He was laughing as he lowered the gun & said she's just a mere Pussy-Cat & went on his merry way. Sure sounds like a big bunch of Sissies around here to me.
Miller/TN

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sure sounds like a big bunch of Sissies around here to me."

Hey.

I resemble that remark...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's all about how much the gun weighs, how you mount it, and how well fits you. I agree that a 5 1/2# gun could provide more recoil than one might want under high volume. But, that's not it's niche. The lightweights are for carrying all day and shooting occasionally.

OTOH, add just a few ounces to the gun, make sure it fits you, and you can shoot an unlimited amount through it without a problem. My Beretta 687 SPII Sporting weighs 6# 3.9 oz, empty. I have put nearly 1500 rounds through it in six hours of shooting doves in Cordoba, using mostly 7/8 oz. loads, with no recoil issues. My shoulder would be slightly tender by late afternoon, but completely normal the next morning. And, the thing is, I can easily carry that gun all day in the uplands without tiring.

I'm with Miller. I'm amazed at the inability of so many to handle a little recoil, nobody here in particular, and, I might add, the inability to carry a gun that weighs over 6 lbs. I understand that heart surgery and other things can be extenuating circumstances, but I'm afraid we have become a country of pussies.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Much like the fact that a phone must reach from the mouth to the ear, I couldn't help but notice in Don's data, that the point of diminishing returns is reached in this battle.

I don't see better shooting on game with super light shotguns.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must be turning into a "pussy" when I was younger my favorite gun for waterfowl was my 10 lb double 10 Ga. Actually I have two of them, one with 22" barrels (long story) and one with 32" barrels, I used to jump shoot the local field in the river bottoms, so it got packed all day, the only time I got hurt by one of them, I was shooting some heavy BPI loads and it double fired on me, my arm went numb and I almost dropped the gun.

Now that I'm a little older I find it so pleasant to carry my 6# double 20 Ga.

TM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
It's all about how much the gun weighs, how you mount it, and how well fits you. I agree that a 5 1/2# gun could provide more recoil than one might want under high volume. But, that's not it's niche. The lightweights are for carrying all day and shooting occasionally.

OTOH, add just a few ounces to the gun, make sure it fits you, and you can shoot an unlimited amount through it without a problem. My Beretta 687 SPII Sporting weighs 6# 3.9 oz, empty. I have put nearly 1500 rounds through it in six hours of shooting doves in Cordoba, using mostly 7/8 oz. loads, with no recoil issues. My shoulder would be slightly tender by late afternoon, but completely normal the next morning. And, the thing is, I can easily carry that gun all day in the uplands without tiring.

I'm with Miller. I'm amazed at the inability of so many to handle a little recoil, nobody here in particular, and, I might add, the inability to carry a gun that weighs over 6 lbs. I understand that heart surgery and other things can be extenuating circumstances, but I'm afraid we have become a country of pussies.

SRH

Stan--What we have become is a nation where far fewer people have jobs involving significant physical labor. It's interesting to note, re gun weight, that American classic smallbores are far more sought after (and command a far higher price--both supply and demand working in their favor) than are 12's. Thus, to a certain degree, the "pussification" of this country when it comes to what a gun weighs.

I'd have no issue with your gun--and in fact carried one a few ounces heavier hunting Iowa pheasants last week--if we're talking about open country birds. But a lot of people who hunt grouse and woodcock (and who spend a significant amount of time actually IN the puckerbrush as opposed to walking trails) would probably find it a bit heavy. I would. I'm right about at my "woods gun" max with a recently acquired Rizzini 550 28ga, at 5 3/4 pounds. The stuff I hunt requires a lot of one hand carrying. Even lighter would be better, and after the season's over, I'm thinking about stock surgery to convert a PG to straight (which I prefer anyhow) and shaving off another 2 or 3 ounces. But open country hunting, I don't think 6 1/2 should be much of an issue. Remembering the guys who carried 12ga A-5's when I was a kid, that has to be a piece of cake. But then I remember what most of those guys did for a living . . .

Re recoil, I'm not particularly sensitive. But some people are sold on the idea that either a very heavy load of shot and/or warp speed velocity are necessary to bag a pheasant. The 4 I collected last week all fell to Kent Gamebore 1 1/16 oz loads. I like that particular 2 1/2" load, although the gun through which I shot them is chambered 2 3/4", and I had my "heavy" load--a 1 1/8 oz reload--available in the full choke barrel. Given all that choke, I figure that 1 1/8 oz 6's gives me all the range I both might need and am capable of using. Something like 1 1/4 oz @ 1500 fps, which is what we see in a lot of today's "premium" pheasant loads . . . no thanks. I'm sure the gun would handle it, but I might find myself flinching in anticipation. And I don't think the pheasant--unless maybe he's out there at 50 yards or so--would notice the difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, as we've become a nation of people who do less physical labor, we've also become a nation of people who won't put forth any off-the-job effort to stay in shape either, eh?

I'll stand by my earlier statement, and will add lazy to that previous description.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.