April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, FlyChamps, liverwort, Hammergun, CJF, 1 invisible), 454 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,210
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

nitro specials, like most ithaca made guns are relatively light weight field guns...shooting heavy loads in light weight guns is not a good idea...often resulting in cracked wood...

why not shoot light loads in light guns, in order to preserve the wood?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Indeed

October 19, 1895 Sporting Life
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_26_NO_04/SL2604014.pdf
Dr. Williamson, of Milwaukee, Wis., has just purchased a new gun of more than ordinary proportions. The Doctor was quite taken with Carver's Cashmore gun, having long barrels and shooting a big load in a 3 1/4 inch shell; but desiring to give the American gunmakers a chance he ordered a gun from the Lefever Arms Company, of Syracuse, N. Y. but at the same time rather doubted their ability to make such a weapon as he desired. However, the gun was furnished and Dr. Williamson killed 79 out of 80 live birds on one trial, and 74 out of 75 targets, part being doubles.
The gun is a Lefever, 12-gauge, weighing 8 1/4 pounds, 32-inch barrels, and chambered for a 3 1/4 inch shell, and guaranteed to stand 4 1/2 Drams of “E.C.” powder, which is the amount of powder which he uses.
(1 1/4 oz. with 3 3/4 Dram “Schultze” was about 14,000 psi. “Schultze” pressures were somewhat lower than “E.C.”)

This is just my opinion, but I would caution anyone reading this old account to question it's technical accuracy.

A diet of proof loads guarantees a short lifespan for a shotgun.

A professional competitor can dispose of his tool at any time. It doesn't represent a good path for a normal person to follow.

Shooting 75 proof level loads in an afternoon from an 8 1/4 lb gun, would leave a mark.

It would be very hard to keep the gun from hammering itself to disappointment if used as described.

It would be interesting to know if this cannon is still out there in someone's collection. I'd like to see how beat up it is.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
nitro specials, like most ithaca made guns are relatively light weight field guns...shooting heavy loads in light weight guns is not a good idea...

Posting anti-gun dogma on a gun enthusiast's forum isn't a good idea either Ed. But that never stopped you, did it?

guess no body here has the balls to answer my question:

disarm...seems to work for the rest of the civilized world...

why not us?

next question:

does the second amendment prohibit state and local governments from regulating the keeping of arms by the people?

i believe it does not...what say you?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gee keet, you did well on your first post. it was so encouraging to think that you finally got the message that most of us wish to discuss double guns and related topics here...not other issues...

please do try to control your obsessive compulsions and stay on topic...

Last edited by ed good; 11/05/17 12:43 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We all know that YOU don't wish to advertise your Anti-2nd Amendment proclivities Ed. But I feel people should know about the enemy within. That's you Ed. The enemy! Ever hear the story about the wolf in sheep's clothing? The anti-gun crap you post here only helps anti-gunners toward their eventual goal of banning all guns... even doubles. You made your bed, and now you get to lay in it. Deal with it Troll.

http://news.yahoo.com/celebrities-demand-removal-confederate-symbol-mississippi-flag-225831525.html

if mississippians can have a dialog regarding restriction of the display of "the flag", then why cant we have a dialog here regarding the restriction of semi auto handguns?

If you wish to get back on topic, your blanket remark comparing the strength and weight of a Nitro Special to other Ithaca doubles was pretty stupid too.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, My EXPERIENCE, ruining a series of shotguns piling up waterfowl with 3" loads, has been contrary to the article.

Handloads with Blue dot, and later, STEEL, when pushed hard, either pounded the actions until things were bottoming out (gas semi's), Pounded the stock head apart, various pumps and SxS's, or loosened the gun until it felt like it was breaking in half when fired (some entry level American SxS's).

And these would be something like 11K psi, maybe 12 (edited after load checking), without me pounding away for an entire season of competitive shooting.

I "think" there might be some optimism in the claims of Dr. Wilson with regards to his favorite load.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 11/05/17 01:24 PM. Reason: data check

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

most ithaca made field guns that have passed thru my hands are typically lighter than other american made guns...as such, it just seems like a good idea to use light loads in these old guns, in order to help preserve the old wood...plus, any pre ww2 made gun should probably only be fired with light loads, in an effort to keep the old, dried out or often oil soaked wood from cracking...

Sidelock
Sidelock

it would be interesting to hear from others regarding ideas to preserve old gun wood...for example, what is your opinion regarding action screw tightness? should they be tight, very tight or a little loose?

Sidelock
Sidelock

an keet, as you desire to discuss political and social issues, please do start your own thread and stop trashing this one...

and better yet, just go away...

Sidelock
Sidelock

most ithaca made field guns that have passed thru my hands are typically lighter than other american made guns...as such, it just seems like a good idea to use light loads in these old guns, in order to help preserve the old wood...plus, any pre ww2 made gun should probably only be fired with light loads, in an effort to keep the old, dried out or often oil soaked wood from cracking...

So, is this advice aimed toward original guns, or, those that have suffered little round fisheyes in the metal from a "gunsmith" burning them with a propane torch, or, both? The torched guns would have had their hardening removed in an uneven fashion, I could see they would be close to wall hangers at that point, but, original guns, even if the color was gone would/should still be safe to use, with the loads Ithaca promoted for them, right?

I wouldn't use proof loads in any gun, but, out of my own Ithaca Nitro, I fear no normal 2 3/4" load, heavy load, promotional (often the worst offenders, pressure wise) or light. Thankfully, nobody with a torch of some sort ever got near it.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.