April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Leonard10, fab500, Stanton Hillis), 432 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Hello Makintrax73,
I usually suggest that you use the gun "AS IS" for one year and then if you want more open chokes then yes I would have it opened for your style of shooting.

X2....

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the advice guys. I will use it and try it with the current chokes. Just got a flat of RST shells, but perhaps another order with a couple boxes of spreaders will be the ticket.

I do reload, but not 16ga. My reading indicates that I can use low pressure 2 3/4" recipes in a 2 1/2" hull then use an overshot card and roll crimp? I can do that without a new press I believe? I got a spreadsheet from the Yahoo 16 ga group with plenty of loads. I have some Herco which appears to work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You will be disappointed with spreader loads. They're fine for released quail and maybe woodcock, but in my experience with both RST and Polywad, the spreader loads fall apart at about 20 or 25 yards and are useless. Sometimes you just gotta open some choke...Geo
By the way welcome to our dysfunctional little family here!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeet's/Dean Harris is THE place for superb choke and barrel work.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat gun. Gun collectors of some standard production guns (for example Model 21,.....) worry about originality. Opening choke constriction to more practical degree actually adds value to this gun.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
You will be disappointed with spreader loads. They're fine for released quail and maybe woodcock, but in my experience with both RST and Polywad, the spreader loads fall apart at about 20 or 25 yards and are useless. Sometimes you just gotta open some choke...Geo

I have a different perspective about spreaders. IMO, spreaders for hunting are for close range use only, 20 yards or less. I've never seen the patterns fall apart at those distances, and have used and patterned at least four different brands plus some I rolled myself. They have served me perfectly out to even 25 yards when shot out of a full choke. I qualified for the L C Smith team, in the Smith/Parker challenge a few years ago at Backwoods, shooting my 16 ga. w/ F and F chokes, and Polywad SpredRs on every bird, even the longish ones. My score was 22/25 as I recall.

The poster said his gun is shooting modified patterns now, with regular RST loads. A spreader in one barrel and a regular load throwing 60 % patterns in the other is a very useful gun. Everything is covered.

Just one man's perspective and experience.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the board. I like your gun. However, I have a system of valuation based on past auction returns. Said system is based on Brand Value (BV), Original Quality grade (OQ), and Current Condition (CC).

BV4 = lesser known Continental makers
OQ6 = second grade BLE
CC5 = needs work or a properly done restoration

BV4-OQ6-CC5 = $668 for 12 bore. 16 bore has in recent history commanded about 1.25 - 1.5X premium. CC5 may be a tad low, too. Also, I think you bought from a "top-o-the-heap" retailer where you pay a little more for better service. Note that value is only a starting place in the determination of price (amount agreeable to a willing buyer and willing seller).

So, all in, yes, I think you paid top dollar for it, but got a nice gun. As you noted, top dollar at this level is still reasonable. If you like the gun, then you have nothing to worry about as far as value goes. You would be unlikely to get your money back if you sold it, but, then, that is not why you bought it, is it?

Hope you find the foregoing of some use and no offense intended.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Skeet's/Dean Harris is THE place for superb choke and barrel work.
JR

If he's the guy who works on the Skeets bore and choke gauges, then he gets my recommendation for that as well. Mine had a minor issue (can't recall just what), and he turned it around so quickly and charged me so little that I sent him more than he billed me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I have a different perspective about spreaders. IMO, spreaders for hunting are for close range use only, 20 yards or less. I've never seen the patterns fall apart at those distances, and have used and patterned at least four different brands plus some I rolled myself. They have served me perfectly out to even 25 yards when shot out of a full choke. I qualified for the L C Smith team, in the Smith/Parker challenge a few years ago at Backwoods, shooting my 16 ga. w/ F and F chokes, and Polywad SpredRs on every bird, even the longish ones. My score was 22/25 as I recall.

The poster said his gun is shooting modified patterns now, with regular RST loads. A spreader in one barrel and a regular load throwing 60 % patterns in the other is a very useful gun. Everything is covered.

Just one man's perspective and experience.

SRH

This has been my experience with spreaders as well. I use Polywad English 1 oz. of #6 in the right tube of my double and am quite pleased with the results over the last two seasons. For Sporting Clays I use RST 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2 in both barrels of the same gun (a 12 ga. 30" barrels choked Mod. and Full) with very pleasing results. I like the results of these two brands of spreaders and can recommend them with the fullest of confidence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To be fair, spreaders have worked well for me with more tightly choked guns on close birds like quail. My luck using them a time or two on doves was dismal though.

Could be my shooting prowess of course. After all less then two weeks ago I shot the wrong deer...Geo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.