March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, SKB, Argo44, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#492577 10/20/17 04:42 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Charlton Hall Auction. Saw a couple of things that peeked my personal interest. Some nice items. My interested changed when I saw a 25% buyers fee. I think that is the highest I have seen.

I am out

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

PLUS could get as high as 29% if you use a credit card

A buyer's premium of 20% of the successful bid price will be added to each lot thereto and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price of each lot. Bidding through Invaluable and Invaluable's services carries an additional 5% buyer's premium. Credit card payment will include an additional 4% surcharge on invoice total.

http://www.charltonhallauctions.com/cond_of_sales.asp

Last edited by skeettx; 10/20/17 04:56 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everybody pays the same premium. What high premiums does to me is depress the final bids if you have a working brain. If the gun is worth 3,000 to me and it cost 25% to bid I just lower my max bid so the total is 3,000 or less. If I can't get the gun for my price I don't care to over pay just as you don't care to over pay. The seller looses because more bidders drop out before the feeding frenzy starts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pretty much just avoid auction houses completely for that reason. Gunbroker and Gunsinternational is where I shop since the price I see is the price I pay.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The seller takes the hit. Of course, many sellers are dead and don't care. Just bid what you want to pay, minus all the upcharges, and you may be surprised and get your item.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George Lander gave me a catalog at the Fall Southern this weekend.

The photos and descriptions added nothing to the details of the guns that could not be gleaned by looking closely at the Internet photos.

When looking through the details of bidding in the disclosure section of the catalog that I found any bids less than 50% of the minimum estimate will not be accepted.

In my experiences, auctioneers who got no interest in a lot would open the bidding to the floor just to start some bidding. If the bidding stops lower an estimate level, the auctioneer can always say, reserve not met and move on.

It seems an odd rule to me.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not impressed with the catalog or the internet descriptions and pictures. George picked this house because of its location and his previous dealing with them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish my friend, George Lander, luck in selling part of his collection. Tomorrow is the auction, Thursday, October 26.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think Charlton Hall leans more toward antiques, jewerly and antiques.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
I think Charlton Hall leans more toward antiques, jewerly and antiques.

John Boyd

John; My observation on the one time I went down to the auction there in 2007 and in later catalogs I have received, is that they are an excellent house for antiques and art and are widely admired. However, their knowledge and inventory of firearms is underwhelming. They appear to covet the large trade in the firearms auctions business, but have not the knowledge and staff to accomplish the task. If they would spend time, commitment, capital and hire expertise and stay with the business for a while they could likely build a good following in the gun trade. Atlanta or Charlotte would likely be a better venue for such an endeavor. But they are where they are. Having said that, I believe they are fine people to do business with in their field of expertise and have a large following. I do not understand how there is room for another top quality auction house to take a significant amount of business away from the other 2-3 auction houses that have most of the American gun trade. But there is a large blanks in this world that I do not understand. There is one thing I do understand and that is the gun show business for people in the trade like you and for collectors is a thing of the past and has been taken over by the "biltong" and the "camo" sellers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.