March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, 12boreman, Borderbill, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Story Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is mounted on a pre-1912 Haenel-made Mannlicher "New Model" 7.92 (.318) x 57 sporter.

Has anyone EVER seen a similar modification or even know it's purpose?

Sidelock
Sidelock

An alteration added by someone with very short hands? Perhaps an accident to the fingers prevented full extension to reach the bolt handle.

Story Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ChiefShotguns
An alteration added by someone with very short hands? Perhaps an accident to the fingers prevented full extension to reach the bolt handle.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to taint the jury. The L.O.P. seems normal.

Given the size of the bolt, it's natural to grasp it with the index and middle finger - or perhaps the two prongs of an antique artificial hand. See;
http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/consumer_product_guidelines/consumer.pcs/i5a.gif

Boxlock
Boxlock

Possibly it's to allow recycling without raising your head or reaching forward for the handle when hunting dangerous game. A well-known Australian gunwriter once suggested lopping 4 inches off the butt of the Mauser 66 if you want to use it for anything serious.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, if a "gunwriter" wrote it, it's considered gospel. Right??? Sounds a bit off to me, but then I'm no gunwriter.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thank God for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to me anyway that the bolt as shown was meant to be folded out and provide a longer straight handle, not a rearward extension. why else would it pivot?

Possible for someone with weak arms or other ailment that precludes normal bolt manipulation.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may be right Brian, but it looks as if it is "pinned" to prevent pivoting. If it pivots outward, the bolt knob would be offset to the front side, which doesn't seem right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps a DST was removed from the rifle and converted to single trigger also. They were available with a single trigger but this may not be a factory one. Hard for me to tell,,so little info available on them. A single trigger would be easier and less complicated to maniplulate for someone that has an ailment or disfigurement to the hand. Mannlicher New Models are nice rifles. What ever the bolt handle modifictions intent, it probably served it purpose and it didn't do any great damage to the rifle. Putting it back to factory condition wouldn't take much. Filling the hole(s) in the handle and blending the surface in. The trigger, if it is a conversion looks fine.

Story Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the 15 month delay, I lost track of this post.

1. I never said the bolt extension pivoted. It is, in fact, fixed in the rearward position.

2. The bolt handle knob is in the same relative position at the 98 Mauser or 03 Springfield. Occam's Razor would dictate that the extension was added as a concession to 'muscle memory'.

3. Kutter : the single trigger as part of a disability compensation is interesting. The trigger plate/trigger assembly is *not* interchangeable with a Haenel double trigger (I tried). I can take some pics, if this will help tell the difference between stock and aftermarket.

4. The rifle will stay in it's current configuration, as long as I own it. It's quite comfortable, very fast to work and accurate to boot.

5. Only the muzzle is .318, from the chamber forward for a significant distance it's .323.

Last edited by Story; 02/04/10 03:57 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.