Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, any barrel length could be made provided the buyer had the $$. http://gournetusa.com/darne1/model-v.html

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Treb,
No, that is a different 12, a Darne R10 that Steve Bodio traded to me when he ordered his Darne R11 slug. I'm up to 5 Darnes at the moment, 3 are 12s:

When I got it from Mr. Bodio, the pistol grip stock had about 4" cut off of it, and the barrels had been backbored. It also has two pimple bulges, but, the wall thickness is about .060 where they are, and the makers said don't worry about it.

I haven't.

I shoot it well, but, it is choked Cylinder and IC, with 25" tubes, and is more useful for grouse than pheasant, although, I have used it for that.

When I get a bird at 40 yards, only the bird is more surprised than me. I have a few shooting handicaps, and try not to push my luck real hard.

The "Honeymoon" and "Operating" comments, above, are likely way more true than false.

I'll ponder this a bit. And, shoot some more. It is WAY cheaper to just shoot the Halifax, than to send an Darne R10 back to France for a new buttstock.

Larry, I didn't mention it, above, but, I ran it with a leather slip on pad. I used the Winchester low noise 2 3/4" load, even though the gun has tight, 2 1/2" chambers.

I crushed most of the targets. I have to work hard for good scores. This isn't my normal shooting.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The gun features a perfect right handed safety button, while I am a lefty, a bit of right cast,

and is a bit short for me. It is hard to argue with results,

and I loath moving guns I shoot really well. A pad would correct the short LOP, the chambers could be lengthened to 2 3/4, or, left alone, and it would make a decent pheasant gun, my actual goal with the R10 restocking project.
Dang. The best laid plans....
Best,
Ted

For reasons unknown to me, cosmically baffling, many people shoot ridiculously long LOP. Many years ago I fitted a gun with an adjusto for LOP buttplate. I found that I could sorta manage the thing all the way out to 16.5" but every gun I shoot well is pretty much at 14". You may want to consider some experimenting of your own. The gun is only better manageable in every imaginable way with a shorter LOP

just a thot

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 09/04/17 12:19 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The gun features a perfect right handed safety button, while I am a lefty, a bit of right cast,

and is a bit short for me. It is hard to argue with results,

and I loath moving guns I shoot really well. A pad would correct the short LOP, the chambers could be lengthened to 2 3/4, or, left alone, and it would make a decent pheasant gun, my actual goal with the R10 restocking project.
Dang. The best laid plans....
Best,
Ted

For reasons unknown to me, cosmically baffling, many people shoot ridiculously long LOP. Many years ago I fitted a gun with an adjusto for LOP buttplate. I found that I could sorta manage the thing all the way out to 16.5" but every gun I shoot well is pretty much at 14". You may want to consider some experimenting of your own. The gun is only better manageable in every imaginable way with a shorter LOP

just a thot

Dr. Sane,
And a good thought it is. However, long LOP guns usually don't live in these parts, although, you could easily be forgiven for not knowing about that, based on your location.

You see, the ice cometh. We typically hunt in it, as well.

If you lived here, you would likely be like everyone else, and be trying to figure a way out for about 3 of the 12 months. Native and long term residents typically come to understand a gun that fits exceptionally well in a T-shirt, can't even be mounted in T-shirt, Filson, Woolrich, and Carhart. The older one gets, the more pronounced the problem becomes.

Ask Larry Brown, if he is still with us. Old joints protest moving, and, moving in cold even more.

The school (factory) solution on a Darne is typically ad one cm of LOP over your regular measurement with a conventional double. Thus, although 14 1/2 seems about right, most will find they need a bit more on a Darne.

But, because winter is always coming, here, measure three times, and cut once.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Honeymoon! Definitely a honeymoon. All the classic symptoms.

Say, are you all up north more subject to honeymoons or just more willing to admit it?

DDA - all in good fun ;-}

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I seem to be more subject to "honey-dos", the list never ends....

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, it's nice having a shotgun that the owner (custodian) will wear out long before the shotgun. That's a nice piece of wood you put on Steve's old gun. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Ted, I've heard of worse problems...Geo

I guess you could trade it in on something you wanted more or something?

Maybe even another shiny Mossberg pumper...

1 member likes this: lonesome roads
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are several perfectly rational possible explanations.

1. The gun has mystical powers and should be worshiped as a god.

2. Ted was abducted by aliens and the good score is all they allowed him to remember.

3. It's 'Nugunitis'.

I once agreed to sell a very clean 20 gauge Rem 31 to a friend. Never having shot the thing well, I agreed to meet the guy at a local club to do the deal. He wanted it for his son who was just getting old enough to start shooting. Worthy cause.

Naturally, I had to shoot a last line of trap with it. Scored 25, what else.

Being a man of my word, off it went anyway.

Kid turned out to not have the ability to focus on anything for more than 6 seconds that wasn't a video game. My friend did offer to sell it back.

I declined.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hope the orphan shotgun Gods don't find out you declined.

You will hit nothing, ever again, if they do.

Gil,
That chunk of wood was worth more than the gun. It took Hervé less than two hours to fit it to the action, and then we ran it to the checkering studio.

I finished it at home.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.