March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 80 of 81 1 2 78 79 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

He just doesn't have spurs. It's rare but happens. If they were broken off there would be a dent so to speak. No jake! I've had a great turkey season and thank you all for your postings. It is really rewarding to see others enjoying something that you love as well (this entire site). Thank you especially to the people who took time to share a hunt with me and who were thoughtful enough to share a call. I'm blessed beyond my means. Thank you guys!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I've killed turkeys similar to that one before, and have seen several others posted on turkey forums. I think it's just a genetic difference that keeps some gobblers from ever growing spurs.

The best method that I have found for determining if a bird is a 2 year old or an older bird is to examine the end of the beard. A 2 year gobbler will have a lot of amber tips, while an older bird will have nearly all black tips. This is pretty easy to see on a gobbler in the Southeast, but I'm not sure how well it works in areas that have lots of snow and ice.

Here's a pic I made to try to show this. If you number them from left to right, birds number 1 and 3 are obviously 2 yr old turkeys, while 2 and 4 would have to be at least 3 years old. Their spurs would support these estimates as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've taken several spur-less gobblers over the years with long beards that were obviously 3, 4, or even 5 year old birds. They all tended to gobble on the limb, then hush as they cautiously came in because they had no weapons to engage the possible presence of a dominant bird. As my now long-dead mentor used to say about such, "son, he didn't want another spur rammed up his ass."
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not so sure silence coming in is always about fear of having a spur shoved where the sun doesn't shine as it is concern about having another gun barrel shoved there. An old bird is a survivor of many such attempts on the public land I hunt. It's not unusual to find old shot in old birds that made one last mistake

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly that too, Gil.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well the old bird got another day older today. He beat me twice and laughed and danced while he did so. If he can pull it off tomorrow he's home free.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

. Black duck with win 21 duck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: coosa

They were all shot with the tight barrel and TSS#9, at ranges from 27 to 36 yards. It was said in this forum before the season that I was a moron for using these shells. I'm still trying to understand what is wrong with them.

Maybe just maybe when you bite down on one you'll get the picture....

Good thing is if you miss biting down on a fAiry dust sized Tss #9 it is so small it'll just pass right through your digestive track and come right out with the rest of your bull chit.

Are turkeys any deader than if they were shot with a copper plated lead #4 ?

Only in your deNse brAin.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in February, jOe called coosa a moron because he shot #9 TSS at turkeys. Coosa repeatedly asked jOe was he, coosa, a moron "because the shot was ineffective or too effective? The answer can't be both." Cox dodged the question, wouldn't answer, and has now moved onto dental reasons. And while on the subject of dental, coosa put his "money where his mouth was" and posted photos in this thread of 13 turkeys, 2018 tagged-out limits in Ga., AL, KS and OK all killed with a $500 5.5 lb. SXS 20 gauge shooting #10 and #9 TSS. Unlike the nattering nabob of negativity, he exercised his personal choice, and didn't feel the need to tote a $1500 plastic stocked Benelli automatic 12 ga. weighing 7.25 lbs., more or less, shooting #4 copper clads. Yes, dead is dead, regardless if killed by #4 lead or TSS 9. No argument there. No one is critical of Mr. Cox shooting lead 4s. Hell, he can shoot an 8 gauge with lead where legal. Who cares? And unless he is paying future dental bills of coosa, it shouldn't be his worry what coosa and others lawfully and ethically shoot. In reality, jOe could give a rat's ass about what coosa shoots. His comments are grounded upon jOe being jOe. And for those who have been around this forum for the past decade, no explanation is necessary regarding the sentiment expressed in the last sentence. Maybe he should put his "mouth where his money is", in a wallet and into his back pocket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nicely done Gil.

Theres enough boorish behaviour on this forum, including by me sometimes. We dont need it in this thread, which is for celebration.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 80 of 81 1 2 78 79 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.