March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 346 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have decided to use black powder cartridges in a couple of my Damascus hammer guns for the dove opener. Looking for tips on quick field swab before the guns go back into the truck, since it will usually be several hours before the guns can get to a proper cleaning site (i.e., motel bathtub). We will be near Yuma and it will be hot, so drying in the field should not be an issue. I'm thinking about a spray bottle with 1:10 Simple Green/water mix, or 50/50 Windex and rubbing alcohol. Spray the barrels in/out, run a swab or a Tico down the bore, air dry on the tailgate, lightly oil. Thorough cleaning later in the day. Too anal, or just right? Better way to handle this? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those are good. I use straight rubbing alcohol on my percussion revolvers and rifles but those combinations are good also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Three swabs with windshield washer fluid and two with WD40 will do well enough until hot water thorough cleaning the next day.
I shoot BP trap most weeks and do not have pitting that was not pre-existing in any of my guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Windex/ followed by frog lube.

Last edited by GMCS; 08/25/17 10:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Windex straight has been my "go to" cleaner for 50 years. Works like magic and is not corrosive. I never clean my rifles or shotguns with water. Just an unnecessary hassle. Windex patches until clean, dry patches followed with a non petroleum lube. Presto! Finished. In a dry climate such as Arizona you don't need to worry about cleaning it immediately. Without moisture black powder fowling is not corrosive. Here in the dry Texas Panhandle I've left a rifle dirty for a month before cleaning and never saw any rust, etc.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can go as simple as saturating the bores with WD 40 until you get back to the room to thoroughly clean it, and you will see no problems. Have left them over night like this with no issues, even in humid environment. Anything that gets rid of moisture will buy time until a thorough cleaning.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
In a dry climate such as Arizona you don't need to worry about cleaning it immediately.

This is the monsoon season in southern AZ, so humidity can be real high. I have seen heavy rain when temps were above 118F, with steam rising from the fields after the rain stopped. Then the temps popped right back up to 118. Just miserable on days like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does WD40 really clean BP? My experience with petroleum products is they don't work on BP very well

Saskbooknut what club in Sask are you shooting BP at?

Last edited by Tamid; 08/26/17 01:05 AM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, Tamid, it doesn't clean it at all, but it takes aways he ability of leftover b.p. deposits to do harm to the bore, for a short time. I learned that trick at my first NMLRA Nationals shoot, in 1983. Many of the top competitors, if they were going to start back shooting the same gun the next morning, would swab it out good and thoroughly saturate the bore with WD 40. It keeps anything left in there soft, and a couple dry patches will get you right back to shooting next morning.

It basically just removes all the moisture, and "deactivates" the residue.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used all sorts of store bought and home made concoctions for thorough cleaning, over a large part of my lifetime ................ including auto windshield washer fluid ($1/gal), but the absolute best I, and many friends, have ever found is a 3 part mixture of alcohol, peroxide and Murphy's Oil Soap. You mix it in equal parts and keep it in an opaque bottle. Cheap to make, and in many years we have found absolutely no drawbacks to it.

After using it, I dry the bore thoroughly, then RIG it. Bores will stay free of any signs of red for years.

SRH

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.