March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 789 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For several reasons I am seriously considering sending my collection to auction. It consists of over 100 long guns (mainly SxS sporting guns) 25 pistols and 20 or so edged weapons. Any thoughts as to the best auction house, the appropriate auction fee and who to deal with there would be appreciated.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you looked at local auction houses? If advertised correctly sure would draw lots of people.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Have you looked at local auction houses? If advertised correctly sure would draw lots of people.

That was my first thought as well. The danger is that the collection includes a bunch of guns that the local yokels don't recognize and appreciate. I own a small pawn shop and sell guns. My experience is that your average gun shopper has a very limited frame of reference. Go much beyond Remington, Winchester and Ruger and they often don't know what they're looking at. Can you rely on them to drive prices up on an unfamiliar gun maker?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

George, I know nothing about the classic gun auction scene but when Terry Buffum decided to auction off his EM Reilly's (I followed it because of my research into Reilly) he used this site which appears to have been used by others on this board.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/index.php

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on the maker of your guns. For American made guns I have had good luck & been satisfied with Reddings Auction Service in Gettysburg PA. Last time they charged me 15% (this may depend on what you have, for a collection of junk or Marlin bolt shotguns or Mossburg 500's I am sure they will need more) & have no buyers premium.

They sold my Win 21, serial #2 a few years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amoskeag, Julia's are the best for collectible firearms.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I spoke with the folks from Julia at the Southern Classic. Would feel good about going with them. I'm a little put off by Rock Island's limited photography and multi-item lots, although they will send you additional pictures if you request. Doesn't seem like the way to maximize hammer price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was impressed by the way GunRunner Auctions ran the sale of a gun I recently purchased...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the larger auction houses really only want guns that will sell for $2k or more. They often "group" less expensive guns into a single selling lot to reach that price level.

You might want to consider using two different auctions; one for the "deluxe guns" over $2k, and a smaller local house for the run-of-the-mill lower priced items.

17% to 20% seems to be a standard selling commission.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Gunrunner Auctions. Posted about it here last year as a test run of a means to sell off my collection if I died suddenly. If I have months I could dispose of things better but if I die suddenly my family needs to know a fast and easy way to sell my guns and still get decent money out of them. It is easy and painless. But they won't get the most money for many guns. What they will do is sell it quickly and pay you quickly. If top dollar is not your prime consideration auctions are a fast way to sell off. Gunrunner will do everything for you if you want. Pickup, list, sell and send you the money. Nice people to do business with.

They are a good Bubby gun auction site which means 870's , modern guns, low dollar doubles, odd balls, moderate value rifles and pistols. I would not use them for decent British doubles, high condition guns or high grade guns. So perhaps you need to consider dividing your collection along the "good stuff" and the Bubby stuff. This is not meant to be little Gunrunner in any way but different auction houses have different groups of bidders following them. I'm sure it's the same in many places. If you want to find one thing you go to one auction house knowing there is a much better chance they will have what you want.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.