March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ChiefAmungum, Jtplumb, SKB, Lloyd3, battle, fullandfuller), 299 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485790 07/16/17 02:44 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an FN SxS 16 ga in the shop with a broken firing pin. The pin is integral to the hammer and it is the left one, Any help on where to find one?

Emails please if not too much trouble: Jkob60@msn.com

Thanks for looking

Jim

Last edited by Jim Kobe; 07/17/17 07:57 AM.

Member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did your email change?

Greg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be fixable. Some years ago I had the same thing happen to a nice Birmy gun and Jack Rowe sent the hammer to a good tig welder who added new material and Jack filed it to shape. Lots of shots since then and working fine. Do everything possible to repair the broken hammer. Making a new one and getting it properly adjusted is difficult.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GGress
Did your email change?

Greg

fat fingered it

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any competent gunsmith should be able to sort that out in a couple of hours. Not worth going to the trouble of trying to get a replacement and all the hassle of fitting and timing .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman, what is your preferred method to repair A hammer with an integral striker? As I mentioned above Jack Rowe had mine welded up and refit. I've wondered if cutting the top part of the hammer off and dovetailing in a new piece might not work well.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I fixed it by drilling the hammer and making an oversize pin to fit the hole, soldered it in place an worked it down to fit free. Fairly simple once I got it started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe , Jim has basically said what I would do in the circumstances .I have seen this used as a production method all be it the striker was riveted in place no doubt before heat treatment .
Welding is OK if you have the right material and fine for just increasing the nose length to compensate for wear ,if you are a good enough welder although with the advent of lazer welding this is now a "no problem job"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to have a friend (sadly passed on) who was a WC Scott 'smith .
He used to repair integral hammer/strikers by drilling and fitting a cut off galvanized roofing nail .
Laughing , with a wink he said " Don't let on, I tell them it's special hard steel , practically unobtainable , but I've got a bit left for special customers."

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.