April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Vol423, fab500), 363 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I corresponded with Robert a bit.
I think he was black.
Or maybe of mixed heritage.

He certainly felt cheated by somebody.

My interest pertained to Flues guns, because all the late Emil Flues stuff happened near where I live.

If such a firearm was actually produced and delivered, there should be enough evidence remaining to illucidate.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's how I remember it also. He had an enormous amount of information about Emil Flues but when he decided he was also an expert on French guns he got his hat handed to him.

Since he was proven wrong and not infallible in his own mind he got mad and ran away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Since he was proven wrong and not infallible in his own mind he got mad and ran away.

When he ran off he deleted many of his most helpful posts. He said something like he didn't want to give away his research for free. That kind of left a poor taste in my mouth, at least...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although I never saw him, he claimed to be black, and then changed the story. When asked why he said he was black to begin with, he didn't have a good answer.

That stuck with me.

Anyway, if he knew something of Emil Flues, and Flues guns, so be it. Somebody has to, I guess. But, I'll run with Dewey's thoughts on them.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

God, this board is all about giving away information or sharing it with others. Oscar was one of the best about sharing what he had learned. Klunkmeister was very helpful in several Smith project I was working on. John Mann freely helped me when I was building my gun room with what he had learned when he built his. Bill Wise shared so much information about HAL, Lindner gun that I had the hots for them for several years. Still do and will never miss the chance to look at one. The late Toni was an inspiration the way he dove into working on guns, doing what he could himself and then finding fellows in the trade to help him when he could not. The list goes on and on for me. Yes a few of them were a bit sarcastic or worse did not tolerate fools or BS artist well. To me that just made them like family all the more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, yea, but you can pick your friends, and not your family. So, pick guys that give you straight up answers as your friends.

Robert left about the time I pointed out the address on his Fransisque Darne catalogs didn't match with the address of Regis Darne's factory. He argued for weeks that it simply wasn't possible that there could be two Darnes. Me pointing out that the French words "Fils Ainé" on his F. Darne catalog meant "eldest son" in English wouldn't sway him.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be hard to keep making a shotgun for a king under wraps in most small towns in 1920. Small town papers took great pride in publishing interesting local news.

Seems odd, no matter the degree of local racism, to not have any reporting on that gun.

Like most "urban myths", there's a grain of truth in the story somewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note, also, that Pinckney never claimed the cabbage car story was true ........ but that it is folklore. Read........ embellishment. Folklore is always handy for that when the facts are just too boring. And there's no shortage of it down in the lowcountry where Pinckney lives.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife's Great grandfather was the personal physician to our state's then Governor.
He couldn't walk his dog in the morning without it being reported in local news the next day.
The world was smaller, and the minutiae of daily life was often reported on. All kinds of little things.
So, a visit by a King? Seems odd.
Now if the Flues' family has any info, that'd be different.

I did learn some interesting things from Robert, and I'm grateful for that.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Note, also, that Pinckney never claimed the cabbage car story was true ........ but that it is folklore. Read........ embellishment. Folklore is always handy for that when the facts are just too boring. And there's no shortage of it down in the lowcountry where Pinckney lives.

SRH

Truth can be stranger than fiction, especially in the lowcountry:
On the western edge of the lowcountry lies the town of Jesup, Georgia. It spawned Roscoe Dean one of the most controversial politicians the state of Georgia ever endured, a character whose career could have been the template for Boss Hogg. Roscoe ran for governor and his “secret” masterplan for raising campaign funds centered around opening the coast of Georgia to drug smugglers. Roscoe was no master criminal or Walter White. When the Feds found out about his crooked scheme, a GBI agent posed as the representative of the marijuana cartels. At this time, smugglers utilized local shrimpers to off load tons of bales of marijuana in remote parts of the coast. The transfers of the weed to the shrimp boats was in international waters from mother ships. In order to show the “good faith” of the cartel, the agent showed Roscoe the good faith bribe money of $125,000.00. In reality, it was only $25,000, but the agent would go into the next room and bring out the $25,000 five times in different bags. As I said, Roscoe was no master criminal. At the motel meeting, Roscoe brought in an electronic bug detector in a brief case. As the room where transactions took place was audio and video “bugged”, the agent calmly took the detector from Roscoe’s hands, and told him it needed to be turned “on” before it could work, and the agent promptly turned it off. Winding back to the Silasse thread and visitors from Africa to the U.S. : During the campaign, Rosoce visited home and brought with him an Atlanta prostitute. He had instructed her not to say a word when introduced to friends and family. He introduced her as an “Egyptian Princess” who couldn’t speak a word of English. Roscoe ended up serving time in a Federal minimum security prison and only recently passed away. A friend who prosecuted Roscoe Dean told me highlights of the evidence and named his dog after Dean. My late Aussie was named Roscoe by a former owner. There were other hilarious incidents recorded, but not used as evidence, including hanky panky in a restaurant booth between the "Egyptian Princess" and Roscoe. http://www.myajc.com/news/state--regiona...H20mgikdLRFVYM/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.