May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, skeettx, SKB, Marks_21, AGS, 1 invisible), 856 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,387
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxie;
You're just a mere young'un hardly out of diapers yet. I graduated HS in 56.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I started late in life, I was 31 in 1986. my buddies all talked me into it and I was hooked.

Then they all quit within 5 years because their wives didn't like it but I'm still at it.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Legal hunting age in my state was 12 when I got my first license, so 45 years of legal hunting for me. My Dad allowed me to shoot a groundhog with his Savage 340 .222 Rem when I was 8. When he told my Mom about it after we got home, she freaked out and said he was turning me into a poacher. I remember thinking she was being unreasonable.

I got my first .22 rifle at age 10, and still have it, along with the Savage model 220 20 gauge I bought with my paper route money at age 12. Prior to that, I did serious damage to the local bird and chipmunk population with my Whamo sling shot. I had a large bing cherry tree right outside my bedroom window, and when the cherries were getting ripe, the robins would wake me up at sunrise eating the fruit. One morning, my Dad yelled at me as he was leaving for work because I already had 3 large paper grocery bags filled with dead robins. He said they were protected birds, and I couldn't shoot them, but black birds, bluejays, and starlings were OK to shoot. I argued that the starlings ate the whole cherry, and the robins just pecked them and ruined the fruit... to no avail. I still hate robins to this day.

A couple years ago, I was deer hunting with my nephew. We came to the edge of the woods and saw that someone had left a very old man sitting alone in a lawn chair with his rifle, overlooking a small creek bottom. He had to be in his 90's, very frail and decrepit looking, and covered with a blanket on a cold snowy day. I thought that would be how I would like to end my days. Hunting is ingrained into my soul, and it was something I wanted to do as soon as I was old enough to comprehend it. It must be a large part of my DNA, so I guess you could say I've been into hunting for 75,000 years or so.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My story has a pretty similar timeline to yours, keith. I think I learned to 'hunt' with a BB gun when I was in lower grade school. A buddy's dad told us to bring home any green frogs we got for him to eat. It just clicked where I knew I had to make clean one shot kills and pass up other shots. I wasn't supposed to touch kitchen stuff, but by about six, my mom let me choose any knife I wanted to scale and clean buckets of fish because I felt like it. There have been seasons where I haven't done as much hunting as I would've liked, mostly supporting kids when they were in things like fall sports, but some how or another, I think it's in my DNA too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never quite understood the rationale behind thinking bluejays were okay for a kid with a BB gun to kill, but cardinals and mockingbirds weren't. I've always kinda liked bluejays. The ones I absolutely refused to shoot with my BB was a bluebird and a tanager, like a scarlet or painted. Sparrows were fair game ............ woodpeckers, yellowhammers, and pigeons were BIG game. I once killed a chicken with my BB, head shot. That was a mistake ............

I can empathize with the old guy in the chair overlooking the bottom, except I'd rather it be a dove shoot. I am aiming to kill a limit of doves on my 100th birthday, which is October 13th (34 years from now), and if they have to call the coroner afterwards, well .......... that will be okay, too.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

my first trap line was 1945 0nly had about 20 traps. 1946 hunted deer in maine until 1952 when I enlisted and went to Korea 1955 I went to Alaska and flew bush [ beaver L-20] for the USAF and hunted there been at it ever since. hope to make it this year again. dove season opens in sept.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first was 44 years ago. That number may be somewhat skewed, though, due to the 20 years of active duty mixed in. I was not able to hunt every season.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I've never quite understood the rationale behind thinking bluejays were okay for a kid with a BB gun to kill, but cardinals and mockingbirds weren't. I've always kinda liked bluejays.

SRH

Stan, I never understood the general disdain for bluejays either. I really learned to like bluejays when I learned that they robbed robin's nests, and ate their eggs and chicks. I can't tell you how many times I climbed out on limbs as far as I dared to reach a bunch of just ripened cherries, only to find that the damned robins had pecked the backside and ruined them. When they weren't eating our cherries or other fruit, they were in the lawn eating the beneficial worms and night crawlers which we also used for fishing bait. When my Dad yelled at me and told me to not let him catch me killing any more robins, all I can say is that... he didn't catch me.

I hope you get to shoot doves on your 100th!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They say bluejays go to hell on Fridays. Bobby

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

I can empathize with the old guy in the chair overlooking the bottom, except I'd rather it be a dove shoot. I am aiming to kill a limit of doves on my 100th birthday, which is October 13th (34 years from now), and if they have to call the coroner afterwards, well .......... that will be okay, too.

SRH

Stan, some people will do anything to get out of cleaning birds. Good luck in your quest to shoot until 100. I took my father and sons Dove shooting when he was 90. Got his limit of doves in less than a box of shells, using a Fox 16 I loaned him. Not bad for a fellow with only one good eye I thought. Heck I'd just like to be moving and lucid at his age. Sad to say he is done hunting he says. Just has no desire to shoot.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.